• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bear's "Step by Step" Index

LBGades

Joined Oct 29, 2020
Thanks Bear for the great recipe and instructions.
I have done 4-5 batches of eye of round beef and venison. All have turned out well.
My question is about the size of an Eye of Round. I'm curing a couple chunks right now that are just under 5 inches in diameter. The cure timing I'm planning is 10 days cure + 2 days + 2 days for safety which equals 14 days then likely a few more for scheduling the smoking.

Is there a thickness you would not attempt due to the depth the cure can penetrate? Should I cut in half lengthwise to make two pieces of 2.5 inches max?

Thanks!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks Bear for the great recipe and instructions.
I have done 4-5 batches of eye of round beef and venison. All have turned out well.
My question is about the size of an Eye of Round. I'm curing a couple chunks right now that are just under 5 inches in diameter. The cure timing I'm planning is 10 days cure + 2 days + 2 days for safety which equals 14 days then likely a few more for scheduling the smoking.

Is there a thickness you would not attempt due to the depth the cure can penetrate? Should I cut in half lengthwise to make two pieces of 2.5 inches max?

Thanks!

Hi LB !
If it's over 3" thick, there are 2 choices---Either inject the right amount of cure into the center, which I did once, but I didn't like it.
Or you can cut it in half, and cure each smaller half.
Here's one below that ended up only needing 11 days Curing.
If yours is over 3", just follow this one:
Smoked Dried Beef #1

Any questions, give me a Yell.

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.