PA Mountain Cabin & Bears (Redid Pictures)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
PA Mountain Cabin & Bears

I figured you guys would enjoy this story & the Pics, so I rounded them up:

About 30 years ago, my Buddy “Barry” decided to build a Cabin on his land on the top of a little Mountain in Potter County, PA.
He already owned the land, and he had one of those little Travel Trailers like Lucy & Ricky used to have, and he had it parked there for years, only using it for hunting trips. This thing was so small, you’d stick the key in the front door & break the back window with the key!!!
He used to go up there (5 hours one way) every weekend. He cut all his own trees down for the logs to build this Cabin, using mainly a Pickup Truck, a come-along, a Chainsaw, and an old girlfriend. He de-barked all the logs by hand & stacked them into a rectangle that looked like a 28’ X 32’ Horse corral.
Then he asked me how to build a Gambrel Roof, because he wanted a big loft for a bedroom & storage. I designed a Gambrel Roof structure that would be made of Rough Cut Hemlock Boards (From a local lumber mill, and could be notched with a chainsaw, so all the rafter pieces would snap together with the Purlins & the Ridge Pole. It worked Great, and the first Winter was spent pretty much as a big corral with half of a roof structure on it.
The following Spring 3 of us went up for 2 weekends & got the roof all plywooded any shingled.
Barry pretty much did the rest himself, like flooring, porches, and a lot of Chinking between the big spaces between the logs.
It took a couple years, but he got it done, and added a bedroom addition, some outbuildings, a balcony, etc, etc in the years that followed.
So he used it as a Weekend Hunting & Fishing Cabin for about 15 years, until he retired from Bethlehem Steel, where I had worked with him for 20 years.
Then he decided to move up there permanently, so he added Running Water, Indoor plumbing & a Septic System about 10 years ago, and has been living there with the Bears ever since. He’s in his Mid-70s now, but he still loves it up there. LOL—Has a new girlfriend now too.

I only see him a couple times a year, mostly when Mrs Bear does his Income Taxes for him.
Most times he comes down, I smoke a Prime Rib & he goes Nuts!!

So below are some Pics I rounded up—Hope you all enjoy them!!

Bear

Barry’s Hand Built Cabin, turned into retirement home:
PICT0008.jpg

Winter View:
PICT0007.jpg

Another shot:
PICT0349.jpg

Closeup of Front door & Sign "Backwoodsman's Bailiwick":
PICT0008-1.jpg

Living Room—Only shot I got of inside:
PICT0026.jpg

Neighbors Dropped in:
PICT0232.jpg

Big-un:
PICT0117.jpg

Party Time:
PICT0135.jpg

Acrobat:
PICT0224.jpg

You Talkin’ to Me???
PICT0118.jpg

Nap Time:
PICT0281.jpg

Family Meeting with Triplets:
PICT0045.jpg

Nothing like Quadruplets!!
PICT0076.jpg

Exercise Drill—Get up there!!
PICT0039.jpg

OK, lets go, get over here---Time to leave!!
PICT0042.jpg

We’re out of here too!!
PICT0065.jpg

Last edited:
Nice !!  Thanks for sharing. Nice work on the cabin Looks great, love the bear pics  Question though ?  Which one was you !!!    LOL

Gary

Boy, what a great place to retire!

Even a Florida boy can appreciate the beauty & solitude up there!

Al

Bear, that is pretty awesome! Thank you for sharing that. Gives me hope for retirement one day.

Link

Bear, that's the best thing I've read anywhere in months.  Thanks for sharing. 
points1.png

My wife is going to love this! 
Thank You!!

I knew you guys would like this. It is pretty Neat !!

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Nice !!  Thanks for sharing. Nice work on the cabin Looks great, love the bear pics  Question though ?  Which one was you !!!    LOL

Gary
Thank You Gary!!

I'd probably be the Lazy one getting ready to take a Nap!!

Bear

Bear , Great post and pictures, I used to hunt out of Austin in Potter Co. for years and love that area ! point

Nice cabin and pics! We're hoping to see a few bears on vacation this year in the mountains of North Carolina.

Nice looking spread, thanks for posting...
Thanks !!

I showed Barry the comments & he said Thanks Too!!

Bear

Boy, what a great place to retire!

Even a Florida boy can appreciate the beauty & solitude up there!

Al
Thanks Al !!

It's always Great up there, and the air seems so fresh!!

Having the Bears so close is a little scary, but he's used to it.

Bear

Bear, that is pretty awesome! Thank you for sharing that. Gives me hope for retirement one day.

Link
Thanks Link!

I actually feel safer with my Chainsawn Bears than with Barry's Real Bears!!!

Bear

Bear , Great post and pictures, I used to hunt out of Austin in Potter Co. for years and love that area ! point
Thanks CM !!

Austin is actually the town in his address, but he's way back in the sticks!!

It's really nice there!

And Thanks for the Points.

Bear

Last edited:
Bear, thanks for sharing the pics and the history of the cabin. Think its so cool that he built it himself, and has enjoyed it all these yrs. Thumbs Up. Thumbs Up. Thumbs Up

Last edited:
There's a reason they call Potter "God's Country". That is a beautiful spread he has there.

I'll admit, I turned a slight shade of green while looking at these.

Looks like a great place to live retirement.  

He done great work.  Alot of hard work.  

Wow! That looks like quite the spot. Am I the only one wondering what one of those bears would taste like after bathing in some hickory for a few??

Nice cabin and pics! We're hoping to see a few bears on vacation this year in the mountains of North Carolina.
Thanks!

Hope you get to see some!!

Bear
Like the purple outhouse.
LOL---I saw that, but the next pic doesn't have that lighting problem.

Bear
Bear, thanks for sharing the pics and the history of the cabin. Think its so cool that he built it himself, and has enjoyed it all these yrs.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
LOL---Barry was Relentless!! From the day he started, he only missed 12 weekends in 2 years. He drove up there 92 out of 104 weekends!

Bear

There's a reason they call Potter "God's Country". That is a beautiful spread he has there.

I'll admit, I turned a slight shade of green while looking at these.
Exactly!!

I always hated that it was so far from my home.

Although I live in the middle of the woods, it's not Potter County.

Bear

Looks like a great place to live retirement.  

He done great work.  Alot of hard work.  
Oh yeah---He really worked hard on that place!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky