or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sauteed in Butter)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sauteed in Butter)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sautéed in Butter)


Sooooo---I never used any cure on a heart before. All we ever did with the hearts, if they weren't blown apart, was soak in salt water for a few hours, rinse, season, and sauté.
The only thing I did different this time was to soak in TQ & Brown sugar for 24 hours.
My mission wasn't really to cure the heart meat, because I wasn't going to smoke it low & slow.

The rest is explained above each picture.

Thanks for looking,
Bear



One Fresh Heart from a small 95 pound Doe:




Cut in quarters & remove all but red meat:




Slice into thin strips:




Weigh & measure proper amount of TQ:




Coat slices with TQ and an equal amount of Brown Sugar:




Put in Ziplock bag for 24 hours, flipping once:




Rinse, dry, and season with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder:




Throw in hot pan with butter:




Just about done:



A little chewy, but awesome flavor!!!

__________________

post #2 of 14
Looks good bear. We usually do the same, soak and cook method. Usually at camp. Cured and smoked would probably be good!
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks good bear. We usually do the same, soak and cook method. Usually at camp. Cured and smoked would probably be good!

 

Thanks Sailor!!!

 

And yes, I'll be curing & smoking the next heart I get. Since I'll be doing it low & slow, I'll give it a full cure.

This one was only cured for flavor.

 

 

Bear

post #4 of 14

Looks really good Bear, can't beat a young doe.  Could you use a tenderizer with the TQ to tenderize the meat a little.  Sounds like the next one might be spot on though.

Tom

post #5 of 14

Nice job on your heart! You always do a nice job with your threads by explaining everything.

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

Looks really good Bear, can't beat a young doe.  Could you use a tenderizer with the TQ to tenderize the meat a little.  Sounds like the next one might be spot on though.

Tom

 

Thanks Mr T,

I always tried to stay away from MSG, but low & slow might do it.

 

Bear

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post

Nice job on your heart! You always do a nice job with your threads by explaining everything.

 

Thanks Woodcutter!!

I don't only make my step  by steps easy for others to follow------I make them easy for me to follow too!!

 

Bear

post #7 of 14

that's a great use of the heart!!  I baked a couple hearts and a liver then sliced into 1/4" strips and froze to give to dogs as treats.  why should the coyotes get all the good stuff??

 

Looks-Great.gif

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensondrive View Post

that's a great use of the heart!!  I baked a couple hearts and a liver then sliced into 1/4" strips and froze to give to dogs as treats.  why should the coyotes get all the good stuff??

 

Looks-Great.gif

 

 

LOL---When I was a kid, we had a great dog----"Mitzi", a mongrel, looked like a big fox!!

When we took her rabbit hunting, she would run back & forth checking out every little grass hump.

Then when she kicked up a rabbit, and one of us shot it, she'd run over to my Dad.

He'd immediately gut it, remove the liver, cut the gall out of it, and hold it in his hand.

Mitzi would suck the raw rabbit liver up, and go bright back to looking for more!!!

 

 

Bear

post #9 of 14

I would imagine smoking it would be very good.  Probably come out like jerky if it was cooked enough.

 

Mark
 

post #10 of 14

looks good. i have only had pickled deer heart before.

post #11 of 14

Looks great Bear .Nice to have you back.  Anything on your radar that you could post in the nose to tail section we started while you were sidelined? MICK

post #12 of 14

That Heart looks good, Would you smoke it sliced or trim then roll and tie it? I have Braised Beef Heart and it was as tender as any Pot Roast but with a Beefier flavor...JJ

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH View Post

I would imagine smoking it would be very good.  Probably come out like jerky if it was cooked enough.

 

Mark
 

 

 

This stuff was close enough to jerky.

I'd like to smoke it to a tender finish.

 

Bear

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilricky View Post

looks good. i have only had pickled deer heart before.

 

Thanks Ricky!!

 

Bear

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikel View Post

Looks great Bear .Nice to have you back.  Anything on your radar that you could post in the nose to tail section we started while you were sidelined? MICK

 

Thank you very much!!!

Good to see you too.

I have some things I smoke while I was absent from SMF.

I'll gladly post them for my old Buddies!!!

 

Bear

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

That Heart looks good, Would you smoke it sliced or trim then roll and tie it? I have Braised Beef Heart and it was as tender as any Pot Roast but with a Beefier flavor...JJ

 

Thanks Jimmy!!!
I think if I was going to slow smoke it, I would cut it in quarters, trim the valves & strings out of it, and leave it like that (Like the second picture of this thread).

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned and Sauteed in Butter)