Beef Eye Round (Finally!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

Finally, after months of watching for Eye Round on Sale, “Weis” Market had it marked down from $5.99 to $2.98.
So we got 3 Eye Rounds, about 18 pounds of it.
I Trim-cleaned them all up, and got them ready for my Sous Vide Supreme. Then I put two of them in the freezer, and one in my SV.

I used my proven time & temp again (132° for 21 hours), and it was Perfect.

We had one meal of Roast Beef, Mashed Taters, and Green Beans, with Gravy for the RB & Taters.

Then I had a nice slice of Roast Beef with my Eggs the next morning, heated up in a Pan with the Eggs.

I sliced the rest up for Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy, but that will have to wait for the next post, because this one is already long enough.

Thanks For Stopping By,

Bear

Three nice Beef Eye Rounds, about 6 pounds each:
IMG_2639.jpg

Best price we've had around here in a long time!! $2.98
IMG_2640.jpg

After trimming most of the Fat & Silver off:
IMG_2641.jpg

Fresh out of Sous Vide Supreme, along with two of my SS Balls for weight:
IMG_2642.jpg

Bear's Supper:
IMG_2645.jpg

The rest of the First Eye Round sliced for future Sammies:
IMG_2646.jpg

Heating a slice up with my "Next Day Eggs":
IMG_2647.jpg

Breakfast for The Bear:
IMG_2648.jpg

FINI

Awesome beef cook. And some balls you got there.

No Costco close to you? Around here no one can beat costco's price for eye of round. Sometimes i buy one and grind it - as ground meat is more expensive.

Reactions: Scott "Stu" Stewart
Looks awesome Bear. Is the Eye now your favorite cut for SV? I recall a chuckie yields more of a rib roast which sounds incredible if you ask me. One thing I never really thought about SVing until now is the ability to cook a roast in the blazing days of summer without the oven heating up the house.

Looks "Delish" Nice indeed and a great price. Gunna make some great Sandwiches too.

Gary

Looks good Bear!

I just bought an eye round this past weekend. I made Jerky with it.

I paid $2.94 lb. at Hazle Park. That seems to be their normal price. My local Weis doesn’t carry the full roast.

I plan on buying more once the weather turns cooler. I want to follow your SV for eye round...make more jerky...and cure, smoke and SV a pastrami.

Very nice and good price.

Thank You!!

Bear

Awesome beef cook. And some balls you got there.

No Costco close to you? Around here no one can beat costco's price for eye of round. Sometimes i buy one and grind it - as ground meat is more expensive.

Thank You Atomic!!
We just got one about 10 miles from here, but we figured we wouldn't use it often enough to make up for the Membership Fees. I pretty much don't leave home, so Mrs Bear does all the shopping.

Bear

Looks awesome Bear. Is the Eye now your favorite cut for SV? I recall a chuckie yields more of a rib roast which sounds incredible if you ask me. One thing I never really thought about SVing until now is the ability to cook a roast in the blazing days of summer without the oven heating up the house.

Thank You Zwiller!!
So far Eye Round is my second favorite to SV, right after Chucky.
Eye Round is Great for Hot Roast Beef Sammies when SV'd, but I don't like the texture for deli type sliced beef from SV.
I'm going to do the other two eye rounds I got, in my Smoker & slice thin for Sammies.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great bear. Nice plate of chow you got there. I really like RB, maybe just a thinner slice.

Point for sure.

Chris

Bear,

Check out BJ's wholesale club eye of rounds are around $3.00 per pound every day.

Locations near you are:

Allentown
Quakertown
Reading

Thanks!
We used to have a Membership to the one in Quakertown, but that's more than a half hour away, and we rarely got there.

Bear

Looks "Delish" Nice indeed and a great price. Gunna make some great Sandwiches too.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Smoking the other two right now.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good Bear!

I just bought an eye round this past weekend. I made Jerky with it.

I paid $2.94 lb. at Hazle Park. That seems to be their normal price. My local Weis doesn’t carry the full roast.

I plan on buying more once the weather turns cooler. I want to follow your SV for eye round...make more jerky...and cure, smoke and SV a pastrami.

Thank You Xray!!
My Weis usually has 3 pound "Half" Eye Rounds, but this time they had Whole Eye Rounds, all in the 6 LB range.
I smoked the other two today. Boy are they Great!!
Don't forget to add "Dried Beef" to that list !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Eye round is one of my favorite cuts to Sous Vide. I haven't tried 21 hrs yet, I will have to give that a try, next time someone has it on sale.

Thank You!!
Yup---21 hours is definitely my Goto Temp for Eye Rounds!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Finally, after months of watching for Eye Round on Sale, “Weis” Market had it marked down from $5.99 to $2.98.
So we got 3 Eye Rounds, about 18 pounds of it.
I Trim-cleaned them all up, and got them ready for my Sous Vide Supreme. Then I put two of them in the freezer, and one in my SV.

I used my proven time & temp again (132° for 21 hours), and it was Perfect.

We had one meal of Roast Beef, Mashed Taters, and Green Beans, with Gravy for the RB & Taters.

Then I had a nice slice of Roast Beef with my Eggs the next morning, heated up in a Pan with the Eggs.

I sliced the rest up for Hot Roast Beef Sammies with Gravy, but that will have to wait for the next post, because this one is already long enough.

Thanks For Stopping By,

Bear

Three nice Beef Eye Rounds, about 6 pounds each:
View attachment 376436

Best price we've had around here in a long time!! $2.98
View attachment 376437

After trimming most of the Fat & Silver off:
View attachment 376438

Fresh out of Sous Vide Supreme, along with two of my SS Balls for weight:
View attachment 376439

Bear's Supper:
View attachment 376440

The rest of the First Eye Round sliced for future Sammies:
View attachment 376441

Heating a slice up with my "Next Day Eggs":
View attachment 376442

Breakfast for The Bear:
View attachment 376443

FINI
Bear, I tried this method this past weekend and the results were amazing! Only difference was that I seared the meat after SV.
Thank you for sharing your tips on this forum.

Attachments

• 20180928_210233.jpg
    20180928_210233.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 43
Bear, I tried this method this past weekend and the results were amazing! Only difference was that I seared the meat after SV.
Thank you for sharing your tips on this forum.

I'm glad you liked it !!
I often sear after SV, but when I'm gonna slice it real thin & it's only for Me & the Mrs, I sometimes don't bother searing.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky