Smoked Eye Round Deli Style (A Rare Bear Smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smoked Eye Round Deli Style Roast Beef

OK—So I finally found some Beef Eye Rounds on sale, so I got 3 of them at about 6 pounds a piece.
My plan was to Sous Vide them and slice them real thin for Deli Roast Beef.

So I did one in my Sous Vide Supreme, and posted it last week.
It made awesome Hot Roast Beef with Gravy Sammies, but I didn’t like the texture sliced thin for Deli Roast Beef.

So since the best Deli type Roast Beef I ever made was a Slow-Smoked Sirloin Tip Roast, I decided to do these two Eye Rounds just like I did that one.

9-18-2018 (Prep Time)
So I removed the two Eye Rounds from the Vacuum sealed bags I had ready for my SV, And Prepped them for Smoking.
I had already removed the Fat & Silver Skin from them, so all I did was Rinse, pat dry, Cover with L&P Bold, CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder.
Then I put them on a Wire Cooling Rack, both in one Foil Pan, Covered & put in the fridge for an overnight rest.

9-19-2018 (Smoking Time)
9:45 AM————Preheat MES 40 to 225°. Also fill two rows of my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
10:30 AM———-Put Meat Pan on Rack #2, and put AMNPS on bottom rack on Right End. Pull Chip Dumper out 3” & Rotate 180°.
12:30 AM———-Sterilize & insert a Meat Probe in each Eye Round. IT was Left-104°/ Right-111°.
1:00 PM———-IT was L-120°/ R-126°.
1:30 PM——-—IT was L-129°/ R-133°.
2:00 PM———-IT was L-136°/ R-138°.
2:15 PM———-IT was L-138°/R-140°. Cut Heat back to 130°.
2:30 PM———-IT was L-140°/R-140°. Kill Heat, but leave Meat in Smoker.
3:00 PM———-IT-140° each. Remove & bring in.

Slice the ends off for Supper. Mrs Bear added Taters Au Gratin & Sugar Snap Peas to our plates.

Cut Smoked Eye Rounds in half, put in container & into Fridge overnight.
Next day put meat in Freezer for 4 hours & slice all Thin like Deli Lunchmeat.
Put in 13 Vac seal bags & put in freezer before sealing to avoid the sucking of the meat juices by my Vac Sealer.
Ended up with 5 pounds of Smoked Roast Beef for Sammies (Coming Soon).

Thanks for stopping by,

Bear

Two Eye Rounds seasoned & ready for Smoker:
IMG_2662.jpg

Through the Looking Glass:
IMG_2664.jpg

Finished Smoking, separated leftover pellets & Kill Heat to hold for a Rest:
IMG_2670.jpg

Closer Look:
IMG_2669.jpg

Brought in---Ready to collect juices from bottom of pan & slice the Ends for Supper:
IMG_2671.jpg

Bear's Supper--Smoked Roast Beef, Taters Au Gratin, and Sugar Snap Peas:
IMG_2672.jpg

Freeze for 4 hours before Slicing:
IMG_2673.jpg

Half Done with slicing:
IMG_2674.jpg

All Finished Slicing:
IMG_2676.jpg

Close-up of 5 pounds of Smoked Roast Beef Slices (Deli Style):
IMG_2677.jpg

13 Bags for Freezer--Then Sealed for Freezing. Green container for next two night's Suppers:
IMG_2678.jpg

13 Bags sealed for Freezer, totaling 5 pounds:

IMG_2681.jpg

FINI

Wow !! I love it when you smoke stuff. It looks awesome I am going to have to do that one.

Great job my friend

Gary

Reactions: Will Squared
Holy cow bear, that's a mess of fine looking RB. Set that slicer on shaved and plate me up some.

Point for sure.

Chris

OK, you got me on the lookout for an eye of round sale. Looks yummy.

(P.S. Just learned you used to have a cabinet shop. I did too, until a few years ago when my helper moved to greener pastures and 4x8 sheets of ply got too heavy.)

Wow !! I love it when you smoke stuff. It looks awesome I am going to have to do that one.

Great job my friend

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Good looking stuff Bear! This is basically what I am doing tonight for supper!

Thanks Tom!!
And for the Like too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky