Ribeye Testing (SV Step #2)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

OK, A while back I did a Choice Ribeye @ 131° for 2 hours, and it was no different than Ribeyes that I only Grilled without any time in the SV.
So I figured I’d give it some extra time, so I did another one (Below) @ 131° for 8 hours, and there was still no difference than with “Just Grilled”.
Since I can get Fork Tender from an Eye Round, I would think I could get it from a Ribeye, so my next Test will be a Ribeye @ 131° for 21 hours.
Until then, I can tell you there was nothing wrong with this Ribeye—It was as good as any other Ribeye I’ve ever had.
I just want to see if I can get a Ribeye to be Fork Tender without messing up the Texture of the meat.
I can assure you guys you’ll be the first to know, after Me & Mrs Bear.

A note about my SV habits:
First of all, my 2 main reasons for getting an SV are:
#1 To be able to take a tough cut of meat, and turn it into a Tasty, Fork Tender meal.

#2 To be able to reheat leftover meats without overcooking them or drying them out.

So I can start by telling you that I will never be doing a Prime Rib with my SV, because I can make my Perfect Prime Ribs in my MES 40 Smoker, and end up with a Juicy roast that is Medium rare “Pink” from bark to bark, with about 4 hours of awesome Smoke on it.
So I’ve been doing a number of meats, using SV, including Chuckies & Eye Rounds, and they’ve been getting Fork tender.
As for these Ribeyes, the only reason I’m working on them is to be able to get them Fork Tender & completely Pink Edge to edge, without Smoking them, due to Mrs Bear not wanting hers smoked. So the only way I can do that is with SV, and that’s why I’m working on perfecting that process. I’ll have that nailed down within another Ribeye or 2.

Thanks for Looking, and Enjoy the Pics,

Bear

One Ribeye to share with Mrs Bear:
IMG_2106.jpg

Racked and ready for a nice warm bath:
IMG_2107.jpg

Fresh out of the SV bath:
IMG_2110.jpg

My Front Yard---Figured I should show you guys all the WHITE is finally gone!!!
IMG_2112.jpg

Searing Ribeye on my Weber "Q":
IMG_2114.jpg

All Done:
IMG_2115.jpg

Cutting into our shares, and a looking at the Beautiful inside of this Steak:
IMG_2116.jpg

Mrs Bear making some Home Fries for us:
IMG_2109.jpg

Bear's Supper:
IMG_2118.jpg

Bear's Strawberry Shortcake dessert:
IMG_2108.jpg

Next Morning's Breakfast---Leftover Steak & Taters with a couple Eggs:
IMG_2119.jpg

THAT's ALL FOLKS!

OK, A while back I did a Choice Ribeye @ 131° for 2 hours, and it was no different than Ribeyes that I only Grilled without any time in the SV.
So I figured I’d give it some extra time, so I did another one (Below) @ 131° for 8 hours, and there was still no difference than with “Just Grilled”.
Since I can get Fork Tender from an Eye Round, I would think I could get it from a Ribeye, so my next Test will be a Ribeye @ 131° for 21 hours.
Until then, I can tell you there was nothing wrong with this Ribeye—It was as good as any other Ribeye I’ve ever had.
I just want to see if I can get a Ribeye to be Fork Tender without messing up the Texture of the meat.
I can assure you guys you’ll be the first to know, after Me & Mrs Bear.

A note about my SV habits:
First of all, my 2 main reasons for getting an SV are:
#1 To be able to take a tough cut of meat, and turn it into a Tasty, Fork Tender meal.

#2 To be able to reheat leftover meats without overcooking them or drying them out.

So I can start by telling you that I will never be doing a Prime Rib with my SV, because I can make my Perfect Prime Ribs in my MES 40 Smoker, and end up with a Juicy roast that is Medium rare “Pink” from bark to bark, with about 4 hours of awesome Smoke on it.
So I’ve been doing a number of meats, using SV, including Chuckies & Eye Rounds, and they’ve been getting Fork tender.
As for these Ribeyes, the only reason I’m working on them is to be able to get them Fork Tender & completely Pink Edge to edge, without Smoking them, due to Mrs Bear not wanting hers smoked. So the only way I can do that is with SV, and that’s why I’m working on perfecting that process. I’ll have that nailed down within another Ribeye or 2.

Thanks for Looking, and Enjoy the Pics,

Bear

One Ribeye to share with Mrs Bear:
View attachment 363104

Racked and ready for a nice warm bath:
View attachment 363105

Fresh out of the SV bath:
View attachment 363106

My Front Yard---Figured I should show you guys all the WHITE is finally gone!!!
View attachment 363107

Searing Ribeye on my Weber "Q":
View attachment 363108

All Done:
View attachment 363109

Cutting into our shares, and a looking at the Beautiful inside of this Steak:
View attachment 363110

Mrs Bear making some Home Fries for us:
View attachment 363111

Bear's Supper:
View attachment 363112

Bear's Strawberry Shortcake dessert:
View attachment 363113

Next Morning's Breakfast---Leftover Steak & Taters with a couple Eggs:
View attachment 363114

THAT's ALL FOLKS!
Bear, I admire how you are always striving for perfection, and how you don't mind eating your mistakes.

Great info and testing Nice !! I LIKE it

Gary

That's a nice looking Ribeye with a huge cap., arguably the best cut of the cow. Even the lip is meaty. When I get a rib roast and then cut off the bones, leaving an inch of meat on them like your dino ribs, I cut through the ribbon of fat separating the eye from the cap and roll off the cap in one piece. Now the fat is on the outside of the two separated muscles. Since I stole some of the eye for the dino ribs I slice the eye up to 2" thick, resembling a filet. That cap cooked as it's own steak is fantastic. The whole 7 bone rib roast will have a cap about 1"×8"×18". I gave up ribeyes for many years because the cap would sometimes cook faster and separate at the ribbon of fat, flopping around when flipping. Ribeyes are back in my life.

I did a couple of threads back in Jan or Feb, with Ribeyes. And you kind of told me that what I was doing was a waste, cause the reason to SV something is to turn a cheap piece of meat into fork tender. The ribeyes turned out very good, cooked perfectly edge to edge, with a nice sear. I also did a prime rib thread that was SV'd & you kind of said the same thing, so I'm a little surprised your SV'ing Ribeyes! But I look forward to your thoughts when you do them!
Al

I haven't personally tried to SV a rib eye, but from what I read some people prefer them traditionally grilled because the fat doesn't render and get crispy and yummy with SV. The sear is meant to be so hot and fast that it just crisps up the outside, and the fat doesn't render the same. For people that don't eat the rib eye fat anyways, SV has worked great. A lot of people prefer it to get edge to edge doneness on leaner cuts of steak.

Reactions: zwiller
Bear, I admire how you are always striving for perfection, and how you don't mind eating your mistakes.

Thanks!!
Now please point out that mistake I made.

Bear

I did a couple of threads back in Jan or Feb, with Ribeyes. And you kind of told me that what I was doing was a waste, cause the reason to SV something is to turn a cheap piece of meat into fork tender. The ribeyes turned out very good, cooked perfectly edge to edge, with a nice sear. I also did a prime rib thread that was SV'd & you kind of said the same thing, so I'm a little surprised your SV'ing Ribeyes! But I look forward to your thoughts when you do them!
Al

Sure Al. However I explained this pretty good in the Original post above.
It goes like this. When I said that, I mainly meant a Prime Rib. There is no way in Heck I would SV one of my Prime Ribs, because when I smoke one they get PERFECT, exactly the way we like them---Pink from Bark to Bark, with a nice amount of Smoke on them. I could cold Smoke one first & then SV it, but it wouldn't be as good as the 4 hours or so of Smoke at 220° Smoking Temp. Plus I can Smoke the whole Prime Rib, because I can then give Mrs Bear the center slice, after I trim the outer 1/2" or so, so she doesn't get much Smoke on hers. I can't do that with a single Ribeye Steak. (See below)

AS for the Ribeye getting the above treatment, by SVing & Grill searing, I can get Med-Rare "Pink" from edge to edge, instead of just Grilling, which would give me Med-Rare in the Center & Medium or more on the outer 1/4" or more on each side.
The only way I could get the Pink from Edge to edge without SVing a Ribeye would be to Smoke it the whole time, and I couldn't do that to Mrs Bear's Steak. So I still would never SV one of my Prime Ribs.

I hope my explanation can be understood by more people than just me. It's not easy to explain in type.

One more thing---There's no way SVing could make a Prime Rib better tasting than any of these:
Prime Rib Calendar (14 Smoked Prime Ribs)

Bear

Last edited:
OK guys, play nice !! I dare you to step over that line !!!

Gary

That's a nice looking Ribeye with a huge cap., arguably the best cut of the cow. Even the lip is meaty. When I get a rib roast and then cut off the bones, leaving an inch of meat on them like your dino ribs, I cut through the ribbon of fat separating the eye from the cap and roll off the cap in one piece. Now the fat is on the outside of the two separated muscles. Since I stole some of the eye for the dino ribs I slice the eye up to 2" thick, resembling a filet. That cap cooked as it's own steak is fantastic. The whole 7 bone rib roast will have a cap about 1"×8"×18". I gave up ribeyes for many years because the cap would sometimes cook faster and separate at the ribbon of fat, flopping around when flipping. Ribeyes are back in my life.

Thanks Kurt!!
We just did an Freezers inventory yesterday---I gotta make adjustments.
I got 16 Ribeyes, and only 1 Prime Rib in my Freezers.
Gotta start looking for sales. I don't like my Prime Rib count getting below 3.

Bear

Bear, I still haven't bit the bullet and bought a SV machine, but when I do I know whose name to look up. BTW the dinner, desert and breakfast plate look wonderful. I'll take one of each to go.

Point for sure.

Chris

Me no understand, "Leftover Steak & Taters."

Thanks Braz!!
LOL I've been having leftovers for Many Years.
Been married almost 50 years:
For a long time we'd have 2 steaks & I'd end up eating half of hers too.
Then for awhile I just eat my steak & she'd save half of hers for the next day, for me.
Then soon I'd end up with a little of mine left over & a lot of hers.
Now I just make 1 Steak, and split it 60/40, and she still saves me a little of hers for the next day.

I gotta tell you though---We save a lot of money this way!!:D

Bear

I haven't personally tried to SV a rib eye, but from what I read some people prefer them traditionally grilled because the fat doesn't render and get crispy and yummy with SV. The sear is meant to be so hot and fast that it just crisps up the outside, and the fat doesn't render the same. For people that don't eat the rib eye fat anyways, SV has worked great. A lot of people prefer it to get edge to edge doneness on leaner cuts of steak.

Yup---That is a Drawback on SVing Ribeyes, because I like my Meat Medium Rare & my Fat Well Done.
However I shouldn't eat as much fat as I have most of my life anyway.
If you use a torch to sear, you can hit the edge Fat a lot harder to get it done more.

Bear

Reactions: gary s
Bear, I still haven't bit the bullet and bought a SV machine, but when I do I know whose name to look up. BTW the dinner, desert and breakfast plate look wonderful. I'll take one of each to go.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank You Chris!!
I'm still relatively new to this SV stuff yet, but I'm working on it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Tasty looking steak Bear!

I kind of backed off from doing ribeyes on the SV. Maybe I’m being too critical on myself but I never seem happy with the finished product. I think it’s because of the fat that doesn’t render.

But I have preferred to SV leaner and/or thicker cuts of beef.

Mount it on your living room wall.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky