PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well Done my friend. Well done.
I roll called a few weeks ago after my wife surprised me with a smoker for my birthday. But haven't been able to use the thing till today. For my first smoke I did a whole chicken (spatchcock style) and it turned out fantastic. Now the wife wants ribs on the smoker.
Tomorrow after church. I will try to recreate your masterpiece. Wish me luck!
I'm sure you will WOW your wife with your ribs!

Good luck!

Al

Great looking ribs! I'm in a comp this weekend and i will try your temp method. Just to be safe i will do half the ribs my true and tested method. Fall off the bone are considered over cooked in the competition world. Always trying to make sure they have a little pull when you bite and a clean bone. Aaaahhhhh why is it so hard! Lol

All hail Al! Those look amazing. Ill.be trying this recipe soon.
Great looking ribs! I'm in a comp this weekend and i will try your temp method. Just to be safe i will do half the ribs my true and tested method. Fall off the bone are considered over cooked in the competition world. Always trying to make sure they have a little pull when you bite and a clean bone. Aaaahhhhh why is it so hard! Lol
Thanks fellas & good luck in the comp!

Al

Okay Al, one of my daughters is coming home tonight for a few days.  She requested ribs and steak.  The ribeyes are dry brining and a 6.12 lb rack of untrimmed spares is on the WSM, cruising along at 270-280F chamber temp.  I usually smoke my ribs at 225-250F, but had too much to do this morning and the ribs didn't hit the smoker until 2 PM.  So cranked the temp up so they'll be done a little faster.

I'm going to completely use the 195F IT "Al Rib Rule."  I believe completely they will be perfect!

I'm definitely a convert to temping the ribs.  You know me Al; I'm Mr. Analytical.  I actually had a ball smoking these ribs.     

First off, I learned I need to replace my Maverick.  At 195F food temp on my Guru, the Maverick was reading 183 and my $8 ThermoPro instant read was showing 188.  I repositioned the Mav and Guru probes.  The Mav didn't change, the Guru dropped to 190.  I kept the ribs on until the Maverick read 195, which was 6 hours at 275F.  By then the Guru was reading 204 and the instant read 202.  My instinct was telling me six hours was way too long even though this was a pretty thick slab of untrimmed spare ribs.  My wife and daughter LOVED them!  They were close to FOTB, but not quite, which tells me the Guru and instant read were correct and the Mav way off.  Time to get the new ThermoPro TP20 if I'm going to stay with a wireless probe.    

The new River Country lid thermometer on my WSM exactly matched my Guru grate probe chamber temp. 

So Al, they were juicy, delicious, and indicated a need for an equipment change.  That's a good smoke in my book!

I'm definitely a convert to temping the ribs.  You know me Al; I'm Mr. Analytical.  I actually had a ball smoking these ribs.     

First off, I learned I need to replace my Maverick.  At 195F food temp on my Guru, the Maverick was reading 183 and my $8 ThermoPro instant read was showing 188.  I repositioned the Mav and Guru probes.  The Mav didn't change, the Guru dropped to 190.  I kept the ribs on until the Maverick read 195, which was 6 hours at 275F.  By then the Guru was reading 204 and the instant read 202.  My instinct was telling me six hours was way too long even though this was a pretty thick slab of untrimmed spare ribs.  My wife and daughter LOVED them!  They were close to FOTB, but not quite, which tells me the Guru and instant read were correct and the Mav way off.  Time to get the new ThermoPro TP20 if I'm going to stay with a wireless probe.    

The new River Country lid thermometer on my WSM exactly matched my Guru grate probe chamber temp. 

So Al, they were juicy, delicious, and indicated a need for an equipment change.  That's a good smoke in my book!

wow those look good!

Last edited:

Well I'm certainly glad to hear you had such a successful rib smoke.

I'm giving you a point for some fantastic looking ribs & for having the guts to try something new!

Great job Ray!

Al
wow those look good!
I totally agree!

Al

wow those look good!
THANKS M10! 

Well I'm certainly glad to hear you had such a successful rib smoke.

I'm giving you a point for some fantastic looking ribs & for having the guts to try something new!

Great job Ray!

Al

I totally agree!

Al
Al, thank you for the point!  Trying something new is always fun.  And you've converted me.  I'll be using a therm on my ribs from now on. 

THANKS M10! 

Al, thank you for the point!  Trying something new is always fun.  And you've converted me.  I'll be using a therm on my ribs from now on. 
I think as more folks try this method it will become the norm, just like it is for every other cut of meat.

Al

Quick question?  So when foiling for the hour, do you keep smoker temp at 225 or do you need to go higher?

Since I have been smoking meat I have had a lot of success with different meats but that excludes Ribs. I have tried everything 3-3-1, 2-2-1, 1-2-3, whatever call 9-1-1! Every time I would try I would get frowns at the table. Dry, weak flavor, etc. On my Weber Kettle the story is different. They came out pretty well but I thought they would be better on the smoker (a WSM) if I could figure it out. 

Yesterday I tried your method. I am pretty happy with the results. From the time the ribs went on until they were set on the table took four hours. They are pliable and except for the rib on the end the meat does not fall off the bone but is tender and juicy. I used a Texas style pork rub which I'm a bit disappointed with. The flavor was a little weak. If I can improve my rub I think I'm on my way!

Al,

This is the second time I have had success using your methods. Thanks for sharing it with us.

After I hit 190 degrees I fired up my WK and put BBQ sauce on the ribs do I cook them bone up or bone down or both? I thought you meant bone side down but it took a long time for the sauce to bubble and I was concerned about over cooking.

Since I have been smoking meat I have had a lot of success with different meats but that excludes Ribs. I have tried everything 3-3-1, 2-2-1, 1-2-3, whatever call 9-1-1! Every time I would try I would get frowns at the table. Dry, weak flavor, etc. On my Weber Kettle the story is different. They came out pretty well but I thought they would be better on the smoker (a WSM) if I could figure it out. 

Yesterday I tried your method. I am pretty happy with the results. From the time the ribs went on until they were set on the table took four hours. They are pliable and except for the rib on the end the meat does not fall off the bone but is tender and juicy. I used a Texas style pork rub which I'm a bit disappointed with. The flavor was a little weak. If I can improve my rub I think I'm on my way!

Al,

This is the second time I have had success using your methods. Thanks for sharing it with us.

After I hit 190 degrees I fired up my WK and put BBQ sauce on the ribs do I cook them bone up or bone down or both? I thought you meant bone side down but it took a long time for the sauce to bubble and I was concerned about over cooking.
I have had that happen too. If the grill is real hot, the sauce will start to bubble right away. If it doesn't bubble up in a couple of minutes, it's OK, just pull them off. Your really just trying to disintegrate the membrane & give the ribs a little bark. But you don't want to cook the meat any further..

I'm, glad to hear you have had success with my method! Your ribs look delicious!! PM me & I will give you my rub & sauce recipe. It may be what you are looking for.

Al

Were are you sticking the ribs to get a temp reading I have one of those 3 sec temp readers and still can't get a good reading. I say that because yesterday after 6 1/2 hours using the 3-2-21/2 method, the reading was 170 on my spair ribs according to my deadly accurate temp pen, but they were done, juicy nice bite and all. The taste left a lot to be desired though. I tried a new rub (apple flavored) the ribs tasted like an apple.

I try to find the meatiest spot on the rack. Here is a photo of the last rack I did with the new Smoke probe needle.

Hope this helps.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky