PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling. 

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor. 

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

Ribs go on the foil meat side down.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

It's actually so full of juice that it's bulging out.

Now just a little water on the bones.

Into the smoker.

I guess Judy is getting ready to eat some ribs!! Are they done yet??

Checking them after about 1 hour in the foil.

193! Perfect!! Now for Al's famous BBQ sauce.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

OK there done, lets just check the final IT.

That's what were looking for. Perfect ribs again! WOO HOO!!

Great bark, super juicy, but not quite fall off the bone. 

Here's the money shot!!!

We stood at the cutting board eating ribs. Never got them on a plate.

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Thank-you for looking and happy smoking!

Al

Last edited:
This is a Great Thread, Al !!
icon14.gif

Awesome Step by Step & Great looking Ribs!
icon14.gif
---------------------
points.gif

I don't do ribs often, but I will be trying this method when I do.
drool.gif

Do you do the same for Pork Spares and BabyBacks???

Thanks for posting this!!

Bear

This is a Great Thread, Al !!
icon14.gif

Awesome Step by Step & Great looking Ribs!
icon14.gif
---------------------
points.gif

I don't do ribs often, but I will be trying this method when I do.
drool.gif

Do you do the same for Pork Spares and BabyBacks???

Thanks for posting this!!

Bear
Thanks Bear, I don't smoke spares, but if I did I think the principle would be the same. Go by temp, and 195 is a good place to start.

Looks great Al. Might have to get to Harris-Teeter. BBs are $3.99 this week.
Thanks Buddy, that's a good price. I paid $4.49 for these.

Good Job Al...They look Great!

John
Thanks John!

Great job Al! And great Qview! Those ribs look awesome! I will definitely be trying this on my next rack. Thank you, David.
Thanks David, I'm glad your going to give this a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. 

I'm going to have to try this because (like you) my family like fall off the bone but not me. Thanks. I'm going to PM you for the rib recipe.

Thanks Al.. always looking for new ways to do things. I like the IT temp thing instead of time.... Its definitely going to help on my next ribs

Joe

Those ribs look delicious Al!  Nice thread with a great step by step tutorial.  I like tinkering with methods, too...I'll have to give this a try. 

points.gif

Red

S Al, sounds like a good method, never heard of anyone suggesting that the membrane be left on before !

I'm going to have to try this because (like you) my family like fall off the bone but not me. Thanks. I'm going to PM you for the rib recipe.
OK I'll give it to you.

Al

Thanks Al.. always looking for new ways to do things. I like the IT temp thing instead of time.... Its definitely going to help on my next ribs

Joe
It really works well for me. Hope it works for you too.

Al

Those ribs look delicious Al!  Nice thread with a great step by step tutorial.  I like tinkering with methods, too...I'll have to give this a try. 

points.gif

Red
 Thanks Red, You won't be disappointed.

Al

Sounds interesting.  I always reed to go 6 hours period.  I'll try that one on my next rib cook.  Those do look really good.
Thank-you. I think you will like this method.

Al

S Al, sounds like a good method, never heard of anyone suggesting that the membrane be left on before !
Never hurts to try new things.

Al

Ribs look Fantastic Al !!!
drool.gif
 I'll give your method a try my next rack of ribs. I've been very happy with the ribs i cook but this looks very solid. What happened to your WSM? I never thought i would see a different smoker in your arsenal.  
points1.png

Those ribs look delicious!     I am going to give your method a good try in about a month.    Thank you for sharing your secret.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky