Amish Mustard Eggs ...My Mom said to share this with you guys...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My lucky day! double yolker! Thats the finished tasso with it,

IMG_9661.JPG

I understand the yellow on the outside, but how does it get the yellow in the middle and not all the way thru the whites? And thermos jugs, They keep hot food hot and cold food cold, but how does it know which one to do?

Just mixed up a batch after church. Some of the eggs are poking out of the liquid. Can I just add water to submerge them? Or rotate them everyday? They smell wonderful! Can't wait until Wednesday when they are ready!

Just mixed up a batch after church. Some of the eggs are poking out of the liquid. Can I just add water to submerge them? Or rotate them everyday? They smell wonderful! Can't wait until Wednesday when they are ready!

I've got my first batch in the fridge right now. I find that the mustard tends to sink to the bottom so I turn the far over every day.
Sure looking forward to trying these. Miss Linda has already turned her nose up at them.
Gary

Just made a batch. I have the worst luck when boiling eggs. The shells are always sticky and i ruin the egg
I've had good luck icing immediately after boiling, then filling a small jar with a little water. Put an egg in jar and shake it. Shells fall right off.

Last edited:
Secrets for peeling boiled eggs

Allow them to cool. Don't try and rush them
There is a thin skin or membrane between the egg white and the shell, once its broken the shell will just slide off.
Peel them under running water, so it can help pull the membrane from the egg.
Crack the entire shell gently before starting to peel, small pieces of shell come off better
Salt your water when boiling, this helps hold the eggs inside a cracked shell while cooking
The fresher the eggs the harder to peel.

I used to keep about 30 layers and its frustrating when you use fresh boiled eggs.

I found out what I was doing wrong. First, they weren't fully done. I tried one more time last night and instead of starting them in cold water, I waited until the water was boiling before I put them in. Then I covered it and put the heat on low instead of turning it off and moving it off the burner.

Then I gave it an ice bath for 5 mins and it came out fine.

I made these as well on Saturday with a few minor tweaks and added sliced jalapeños.

Must have been a pickled egg kind of weekend for everyone.

I have one question though, has anyone else’s brine separated at all? The mustard seems to separate from the rest of the brine. It mixes up well, I’m not worried about it though.

I made these as well on Saturday with a few minor tweaks and added sliced jalapeños.

Must have been a pickled egg kind of weekend for everyone.

I have one question though, has anyone else’s brine separated at all? The mustard seems to separate from the rest of the brine. It mixes up well, I’m not worried about it though.

mine did especially before I got it to a boil. I need to look at it this afternoon when I get home. I wonder if I need to shake the container up each day. It seemed the pics people posted on here, the liquid wasn't separated at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky