Meatball Sub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
Full disclosure. I am not of Italian heritage. I do love Italian cuisine and try to do it justice when I cook it. I add this disclosure because I've come across a number of fine Italian folks that are, how can I say this delicately, 'passionate' about their dishes and aren't afraid to share where you went wrong... :emoji_laughing:

That said, I had a hankering for a good Italian meatball sub (or hoagie whatever you want to call it). I stumbled across a recipe claiming to be Rao's Meatball with Marinara sauce so I figured I'd give it a try. I have never had Rao's anything so I can't make any claims to how close it is, but I do know that it tickles me just right when it comes to a meatball sub.

------------------------------------------

Rao's Meatballs With Marinara Sauce

Ingredients
Yield:4 to 6 servings

For the Sauce
○ 1⁄4cup extra-virgin olive oil
○ 2 ounces salt pork, thinly sliced (I found BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker 's recipe for this yesterday and made up a small batch of sliced salt pork)
○ 3 tablespoons minced onion
○ 2 garlic cloves, minced
○ 2 28-ounce cans imported Italian crushed tomatoes
○ 6 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces
○ Pinch of dried oregano
○ Salt and ground black pepper

For the Meatballs
○ 1 pound ground lean beef
○ 1⁄2pound ground veal
○ 1⁄2pound ground pork
○ 2 large eggs
○ 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
○ 11⁄2tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
○ 1 small garlic clove, minced
○ Salt and ground black pepper
○ 2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
○ 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
○ 1 clove garlic, lightly smashed

Preparation

Step 1

Make the sauce:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, then add the
salt pork. Sauté until fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard salt pork.
Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté just until
softened. Add tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and
simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 45 minutes. Add the basil, oregano and
salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute more.

Step 2

Make the meatballs:
In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, veal and pork. Add the eggs,
cheese, parsley and minced garlic, then salt and pepper as desired. Add the bread crumbs and mix well. Slowly add up to 2 cups water, 1⁄2 cup at a time, until the mixture is moist; all the water may not be needed. Shape into 11⁄2 -inch meatballs.

Step 3:

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic and sauté
until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes, then discard the garlic. Working in batches and
taking care not to crowd the pan, add meatballs and fry until undersides are brown and
slightly crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes more.
Transfer cooked meatballs to paper towels to drain, then add to the marinara sauce. Mix
gently and serve.

------------------------------------------

Browning a few batches of meatballs in my 12" CI

20240306_114841.jpg

20240306_115908.jpg

After browning the meatballs put them into the marinara to finish cooking through.

20240306_122534.jpg

Rather than serving over pasta, I put these into a hoagie roll, added marinara and some fresh mozza. Son only wanted half a sub.

20240306_125003.jpg

Into the oven under the broil setting for a tad to melt the mozza.

20240306_125427.jpg

Top a with a bit of Italian flat leaf parsley and plate up. I like these served with a side of peperoncini to much on.

20240306_125739.jpg

20240306_125905.jpg

I would dive into that head first! Great write up too. I've bought Rao's sauces before, wonder if this is meant to be a knockoff

Reactions: nlife
Oh Man those look good!! By the end my mouth was watering so bad I was almost drooling, Hahaha!! Nice job!!

• Haha
I would dive into that head first! Great write up too. I've bought Rao's sauces before, wonder if this is meant to be a knockoff

Thanks! I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a knock-off recipe or not. I found it on the NYT Cooking site. Lots of people chiming in that it was similar to how their nona made it, with a few people saying that it's not how their nona makes it.

Oh Man those look good!! By the end my mouth was watering so bad I was almost drooling, Hahaha!! Nice job!!

Thanks! This recipe makes a rather large pot so I'll be eating meatball subs for days...

Looks like a great sandwich. And yes Italians are " passionate" for sure lol 😂. My Dad will tell me I'm stirring the sauce in the wrong direction. 😂

Ha! Back when I was on Tiktok there was a lady that would deliberately mess up Italian dishes to get a rise out of her husband :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H and JLinza
Nice! I haven't had a meatball hoagie in ages. This looks killer! Great write up as well. I haven't had Rao's spaghetti sauce. But I love their pizza sauce. Which happens to be what I'm having tonight. On Boboli crust.

Reactions: jcam222 and nlife
Ha! Back when I was on Tiktok there was a lady that would deliberately mess up Italian dishes to get a rise out of her husband :emoji_laughing:
Did you see the one where she was trying to pass off jarred sauce as homemade? Pretty sure we're thinking about the same lady.

• Haha
I think I've seen those, it's the guy that does this all the time...🤌 lol. Like that narrows it down lol 😂

• Haha
Did you see the one where she was trying to pass off jarred sauce as homemade? Pretty sure we're thinking about the same lady.

That sounds like her. Frozen pizza, ketchup on pizza, I think she even broke the spaghetti noodles in half in one of them. It really sets him off.

I think I've seen those, it's the guy that does this all the time...🤌 lol. Like that narrows it down lol 😂

That's the one. LOTS of hand gestures. Most of the reply is in Italian to boot!

Reactions: JLinza
Next time toast those rolls up like you were making garlic bread with them. I did that this past weekend. In fact, that's all I ate this past weekend! 3 days of meatballs in garlic bread, and I don't regret a single minute of it!!!! Oh, and I used Rao's from the jar. Damn good!

That sounds like a great idea F Florida Chris . I think tomorrow I'll make some by toasting the bun a tad, then add the mozza to melt. Assemble the rest after. Melting the cheese on top ended up with a bite where the mozza pulled off and was molten lava on my chin.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. Just wanted to pass on a little "inspiration" in case you're a garlic fan.

We're big garlic fans here. We usually have garlic confit on hand, though both of us have to eat it at the same time otherwise we stink the other one out. I haven't made a Lebanese garlic paste in some time and probably should. It was nice to have on hand for when you wanted a quick shot of garlic on anything.

That's funny, I just picked up a jar of Rao's pizza sauce the other day. Never heard of the brand before. It's decent, if a little thinner than I'm used to.

N nlife I'm with you - love good Italian food, and a good meatball sub always fits the bill!

That recipe looks and sounds terrific - I'll have to save this one and give it a try!

Thanks for sharing it!

Red

Reactions: nlife and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky