Reverse Sear Tomahawk with Pommes Pave' ( also Lemon Fudge for after )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep, I knew the Tomahawk cook was going to be epic and you certainly did not disappoint, David. Your work is truly inspirational.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Reverse Sear Tomahawk with Pommes Pave' ( also Lemon Fudge for after )

So thank you everyone for your suggestions and how to's.
I decided on let the beef shine here, like most mentioned. Just Salt , Pepper and light garlic powder
Also I tied the steak around its girth to keep its shape as did not want it to open up with all the nice fat as it cooked.

View attachment 678603 View attachment 678604

Let this rest in the fridge for 3 hours, let the salt do its job. Got the smoker going after with Cherry chunks and hickory pellets held at 320/325 deg.
Pulled at 144 deg. Should have pulled at the 136 deg. check. There was nothing wrong at all with the final, I just wanted to finish with more heat from the sear to be around 148-150. But still tender and juicy.

Fist a thank you for a prize a while ago for one of my Throwdown wins, here is part of it "Thermapen One", love it and works great. Took a bit to getting used to the screen flipping when using at different angles. But nice and quick read.

View attachment 678605 View attachment 678606

I know that temp would be a finish for a lot of you, but here in Monaville, her and her family like no red,
or pink or anything but dark ha ha ( well her sister likes rare but she was not with us today.)

Other things were going on while this was in the smoker, get to that in a minute

So I pulled it and let it set just for a minute while the Q grill came to a hot heat.
Seared both sides and the edge's About 5/6 minutes on each.
Had some bell peppers and red onions and radishes on the grill with S+P and lime juice

View attachment 678607
View attachment 678608
View attachment 678609
View attachment 678610 View attachment 678611

The sear / crust on this is very nice and the smells, OMG, I wanted to slice an end cut and run out back so no one would take it from me.

Now back to what happened yesterday and today for the Pommes Pave'.

I normally check to see if anyone on the site does what I am thinking , did not check until after I started , Low and behold John @chilerelleno has done these . They are good and a show piece of coarse.

Sliced russets very thin, now I made the sauce and heated , let cool and added my potatoes in the bowl, so as I built the Pave" everything is already flavored
Sause is , cream, minced shallots, butter and Thyme and Tarragon salt ad pepper and hard grated cheese

View attachment 678631 View attachment 678632 View attachment 678633

Fold over the parchment paper and into a 350deg. oven for 1 1/2 hours or knife tender. Bring out and add another container same size with weight on it .
Once cooled, into the fridge with weight on it to compress over night.

View attachment 678622 View attachment 678623

Bring out and trim edges ( keep for later , cooks treats ) cut into even size piece's, I fried in my saved bacon grease I always have in the fridge
Every edge gets a crisp cook. Just look at all the thin layers in the pan,

View attachment 678624 View attachment 678625

View attachment 678626 View attachment 678627 View attachment 678628 View attachment 678629

Cook's treats : end cuts frying in bacon fat Mmmmmmm
View attachment 678630

I made a Mustard Cream sauce for the beef , It does not need it but I wanted to try it . Very nice
Reduced cream and add mustard and chopped chives

View attachment 678614

So the Steak was at 152 when I sliced it up into 1/2" slices. the juice that came out well I saved that for over mine before the mustard sauce

View attachment 678612
View attachment 678613

This was very very good, lots of juice and flavour, not a lot of smoke to it but glad I just used SPG, everyone loved it and all the fixins.

My plate ( the potatoes in the picture look dark , they were golden brown )

View attachment 678615
View attachment 678617
View attachment 678618

Well that is a wrap, My thoughts, I will try 5 degs. or so less next time, just to see. The Tomahawk was very good. Glad it was a gift because I probably would have never spent $60 bucks to try one.

Sorry almost forgot LEMON FUDGE for you ( me ) sugar junkies Just like Lemon Meringue Pie in a sguare

After 4 pieces I am done , :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_wink:

View attachment 678619
View attachment 678620

I know very long winded , but that's me

Thanks if you even made it part way through, talk soon

David
I'm definitely saving this to make in future.

See. . .I told you, you could do it!

Great looking steak and final dish. Thanks for sharing.

John

Thanks John for the comment

You were right, I could and did. I was very happy with the results, And I know many would have pulled it when I did the test at 136deg.
But I wanted med. The next time I will pull a little earlier to get a hint of red. :emoji_wink:

All were happy and full when they left the table.

David

Yep, I knew the Tomahawk cook was going to be epic and you certainly did not disappoint, David. Your work is truly inspirational.

Thanks Colin for the like and the comment

Well nice of you to say, epic , maybe not . But good and tasty tender and juicy yes it was. And everyone happy and full is always a good thing.

Thank you Colin I am glad you enjoy the cooks/smokes that I do, as I really love doing and showing them almost as much as eating them:emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_sunglasses:

David

Simply gorgeous David. The steak is done a bit beyond where we like it but that meal is pure perfection my friend. Outstanding job buddy and way to make the best of an amazing cut of beef.

Robert

Simply gorgeous David. The steak is done a bit beyond where we like it but that meal is pure perfection my friend. Outstanding job buddy and way to make the best of an amazing cut of beef.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Thanks Robert , I know many would have stopped at the 136deg. check , but we were going for med 150deg. and that it was.
Very tasty and this was a very nice piece of beef.
And everyone enjoyed it and all the sides , and the dessert fudge lol

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky