Amish Mustard Eggs ...My Mom said to share this with you guys...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Either or both. Guess it's a matter of preference. With eggs I just use jalapenos. I like the pickled peppers too but I also take the seeds out so there is very little heat from them. You can add flake or cayenne to kick them up, or even hot sauce of your choice..
I have a thread on Hot Mammas for a recepie for pickle and heat questions.

My version of Amish Pickled Eggs. The recipe (below) is close to the original one at the start of this thread. Here is a picture of my version of a light lunch, all homemade. Beef summer sausage, pickled eggs, pickled kielbasa with onion and pepper slivers (Utopenci) and some hot Chicago style giardineria for a kick of heat.
_DSC0038.JPG

12 hard boiled eggs
1 thinly sliced onion
Sliced garlic cloves to taste (I like a good bit of garlic)
Place in a jar with a tight fitting lid.

Mustard pickling:
4 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp mustard seed (I use 1/2 brown, 1/2 black seed)
2 tsp turmeric

Bring to boil, simmer 5 min, allow to cool for a bit before pouring over the eggs. Refrigerate 10 or more days.

Reactions: Jabiru
I just saw this thread this morning , and put a watch on it . Glad I did . Braz , that looks fantastic . I got to try the eggs .
I see some people keep the eggs in the carton , then flip them over the night before they boil , to keep the yolk in the middle . How did you get the yolks centered up like that ?

How did you get the yolks centered up like that ?
I don't do anything special. The yolks usually come out reasonably centered, but occasionally a little off center. One thing I do for hard boiled eggs is start with older eggs. At the grocery I look for ones that are nearing the sell by date, or just keep them in the fridge till they get near that date. I think it makes them easier to peel but maybe it also helps keep the yolks centered. Don't know. After years of egg peeling frustration my wife finally showed me how to hard boil eggs. Her (and now my) method for easy peel perfectly cooked eggs:
Start with older eggs
Put eggs in pot and cover with cold tap water
Bring to rolling boil, immediately remove from heat and cover pot
Wait 6 to 8 minutes - no longer
Pour off some hot water and add cold water so you end up with warm
Crack all the eggs while in the warm water and after all are well cracked start peeling them.

This is off the wall but I've been steaming them. Tried it once when I steamed my potatoes for salad. Steam them for 12 minutes, chilled them down in ice water. Break shells and let them sit in the water. They peeled without any sticking to the shells. You may not have such luck but it works for me.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I've got two batches on the fridge, both of the Amish variety. The one batch is as described in the recipe, but I've added about a dozen cloves of garlic. The second batch I added garlic, five habeneros and two jalepenos. I'm hoping it'll be spicy. I also substituted 1/2 tsp of Turmeric for the food coloring. Stay tuned....

Reactions: chopsaw
I've got two batches on the fridge, both of the Amish variety. The one batch is as described in the recipe, but I've added about a dozen cloves of garlic. The second batch I added garlic, five habeneros and two jalepenos. I'm hoping it'll be spicy. I also substituted 1/2 tsp of Turmeric for the food coloring. Stay tuned....
Our garden this year is flush with seranos and jalepenos so my next batch will include some heatage as well.

Reactions: mnmulisha
I made these a few weeks ago, and to my wife's skeptical surprise, they turned out amazing (I knew they would). Just made another batch with the same liquid from the previous version, all seems good.

Question though, the texture of the eggs seems a little "rubbery" almost, and it isn't from my hard boiling as I have tried ones that didn't go in the mixture. Is this typical when doing something of a pickling?

Question though, the texture of the eggs seems a little "rubbery" almost, and it isn't from my hard boiling as I have tried ones that didn't go in the mixture. Is this typical when doing something of a pickling?
Yes, that's typical. The pickling tends to "harden" them up a little. Have you tried one of the onion pieces that are floating in the brine? After a while they get very tasty, almost a sweet/sour taste.

I just put up a couple dozen eggs this morning. I can't wait. I had a couple eggs i lost the peeling battle with, so I cut one up and spooned a bit of the pickle brine over. They were great like that.
I'm also getting a goofy idea about trying the pickle recipe as a finishing sauce on some pulled pork. I like the taste that much.

Many thanks to your mom for making you share this. I love pickled eggs and just put some cackleberrys on to boil so I can make a batch.

I know this is a old post that I’m glad got bumped but that terminology for hen eggs is something I haven’t heard it decades. Takes me back quite a bit. :emoji_blush:

I know this is a old post that I’m glad got bumped but that terminology for hen eggs is something I haven’t heard it decades. Takes me back quite a bit. :emoji_blush:

<chuckles> Well the hen eggs are much easier to find that the rooster eggs.

I made some today, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. I used my homemade cajun mustard and it doesn't chill well... it gets cold and clots up. LOL It doesn't play well with the other fluids.

They are fantastic. Been sneaking samples, however I want to save them for camp this weekend. I did bring a couple to my grandkids. I cut them in half to make them go farther. My 5 year old grandson tried a bite and said it was good an can I have the other half. I said sure, so he grabbed the whole egg that was left and disappeared. He then snuck out and took the half that was left. I guess he really liked them.

I wonder if these would work with soft boiled eggs? I dislike the yolk texture of hard boiled eggs, but LOVE soft boiled eggs where the yolk is gelled. I usually do a batch a week. Going to give it a try!

I'll just bet they would! I make shoyu tamago for my better half... soy-brined soft-boiled eggs he ate in Japan all the time and gets cravings for.. and they turn out really awesome! Same principle, just different flavors. :)

Reactions: noboundaries
I'll just bet they would! I make shoyu tamago for my better half... soy-brined soft-boiled eggs he ate in Japan all the time and gets cravings for.. and they turn out really awesome! Same principle, just different flavors. :)

That's good to know! Definitely going to give it a try. I made a batch of soft-boiled eggs last week, but they never made it into the brine.

O M G! I did a small 6 egg batch and put my own spin on it with what we had in the house (different mustard and no food coloring). My wife turned her nose up at them this morning. I just sample two for lunch. Wow! I'm hooked. These will take up regular space in my refrigerator.
20190329_123521.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky