Pork Belly Burnt Ends - with pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

katemail13

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
SE Utah
Hi, all. Today seemed like a good day to make pork belly burnt ends for the second time ever. They were even better this time than the first time. I used a 4.5 lb pork belly from Sam's Club, Jeff's Original Rub, my own favorite homemade BBQ sauce, and some honey. So good!

I heated the smoker (MES 30) to 230°, and when heated, I threw in some hickory chips. I also filled the water pan.

Meanwhile, I cut the pork belly into cubes,
1.jpg

2.jpg

Then I tossed the cubes in rub.
3.jpg

I put them in the smoker. They took about 2 hours and 40 minutes, at 230°. Here they are about half-way through, when I chanced a peek:
4.jpg

I took them out when they had a nice crusty look.
5.jpg

I tossed them in some honey, and my family's favorite BBQ sauce, put them into an Aluminum pan, and covered it with foil. Then, back in the smoker they went, for another hour. Here they are, all done. I should've taken a picture of them before I started eating them.
6.jpg

They turned out perfectly. The first time I made burnt ends (which was only a month ago), I used the rub I usually use on ribs and shoulders, but I felt like it was too strong-flavored for these. I used Jeff's Original Rub this time, and they were perfect. Also, I followed Jeff's instructions for burnt ends, found here: https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-3-2017-smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends

How does everyone else make their burnt ends?

Those BE's look really really good. Nicely done.
Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: katemail13
The only problem in all this, is that for some reason, I think having water in the water pan makes my MES 30 shut off. I have had it for more than 5 years, and the only time I have ever put water in the water pan is to make burnt ends (twice now). The smoker has shut down on both those occasions, but not any other time. I have used it a few times in between, and no shutdown. Anyone know about this problem? Can I make burnt ends without water in the water pan?

The only problem in all this, is that for some reason, I think having water in the water pan makes my MES 30 shut off. I have had it for more than 5 years, and the only time I have ever put water in the water pan is to make burnt ends (twice now). The smoker has shut down on both those occasions, but not any other time. I have used it a few times in between, and no shutdown. Anyone know about this problem? Can I make burnt ends without water in the water pan?

That's interesting. I can't speak for having the same problem, as I don't ever use the water pan. But I can speak to making burnt ends without water in my MES 30. Mine turn out tender and juicy every single time. And that's with pork belly, brisket, or chuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: katemail13
Hi, all. Today seemed like a good day to make pork belly burnt ends for the second time ever. They were even better this time than the first time. I used a 4.5 lb pork belly from Sam's Club, Jeff's Original Rub, my own favorite homemade BBQ sauce, and some honey. So good!

I heated the smoker (MES 30) to 230°, and when heated, I threw in some hickory chips. I also filled the water pan.

Meanwhile, I cut the pork belly into cubes,
View attachment 383839
View attachment 383840

Then I tossed the cubes in rub.
View attachment 383841

I put them in the smoker. They took about 2 hours and 40 minutes, at 230°. Here they are about half-way through, when I chanced a peek:
View attachment 383842

I took them out when they had a nice crusty look.
View attachment 383843

I tossed them in some honey, and my family's favorite BBQ sauce, put them into an Aluminum pan, and covered it with foil. Then, back in the smoker they went, for another hour. Here they are, all done. I should've taken a picture of them before I started eating them.
View attachment 383844

They turned out perfectly. The first time I made burnt ends (which was only a month ago), I used the rub I usually use on ribs and shoulders, but I felt like it was too strong-flavored for these. I used Jeff's Original Rub this time, and they were perfect. Also, I followed Jeff's instructions for burnt ends, found here: https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-3-2017-smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends

How does everyone else make their burnt ends?

Those look great! Nice job.

Here are some PBBEs I did about a month ago: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pork-belly-burnt-ends-first-try.281524/

What is interesting, is that I was running a higher temp and total cook time was about 4.5 hours on mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky