Pork Belly Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
So I picked up a pork belly from a local ‘Mexican’ meat market. Went in just to see what they had, and their price was close to $2/lb less than HEB’s price. It was a whole belly, weighing over 15 lbs., and the appearance was of little less quality than what I get at HEB. But based on the price I went for it.

I divided into 3 pieces, used the classic dry-cure formulas and added maybe ¼ cup maple syrup to each. Each piece into its gallon bag and into fridge for 14 days or more.

And 14 turned into 18, then I rinsed and dried for a bit and into the pellet smoker at about 150- 160F for a little less than six hours; median IT around 145F. Cooled them down and back in fridge for another day.

Monday night took them out and sliced some for taste test. I fried a couple of pieces, and due to the sugar had significant burnt edges. Ok, I was expecting that using the syrup. I also did a few slices in the oven at 350F, and those were much better. But with all that, not totally impressed with the end flavor. I had used this recipe before, and it was over the top good! I don’t know if this one is too sweet, or just what the deal is, but it just doesn’t taste like bacon should. Is it edible? Hell Yes! LOL

But I am thinking about taking at least one large hunk and making some belly burnt ends. And that’s the main reason I posted this, so y’all can tell me your experience and methods to produce those sweet BBQ morsels from smoked pork belly! Thanks for reading, and participating!

Attachments

• 395568673_710415207182476_1462089067282532831_n.jpg
    395568673_710415207182476_1462089067282532831_n.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 394818821_2008940256157446_1531693035853006312_n.jpg
    394818821_2008940256157446_1531693035853006312_n.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 14
I just posted about making pork belly burnt ends using Malcolm Reed's Technique. It is pretty good and of course you can substitute your own seasonings and flavors. You may have to make some adjustments because his way the belly is cut into cubes before smoking...

Reactions: Cody_Mack
So I picked up a pork belly from a local ‘Mexican’ meat market. Went in just to see what they had, and their price was close to $2/lb less than HEB’s price. It was a whole belly, weighing over 15 lbs., and the appearance was of little less quality than what I get at HEB. But based on the price I went for it.

I divided into 3 pieces, used the classic dry-cure formulas and added maybe ¼ cup maple syrup to each. Each piece into its gallon bag and into fridge for 14 days or more.

And 14 turned into 18, then I rinsed and dried for a bit and into the pellet smoker at about 150- 160F for a little less than six hours; median IT around 145F. Cooled them down and back in fridge for another day.

Monday night took them out and sliced some for taste test. I fried a couple of pieces, and due to the sugar had significant burnt edges. Ok, I was expecting that using the syrup. I also did a few slices in the oven at 350F, and those were much better. But with all that, not totally impressed with the end flavor. I had used this recipe before, and it was over the top good! I don’t know if this one is too sweet, or just what the deal is, but it just doesn’t taste like bacon should. Is it edible? Hell Yes! LOL

But I am thinking about taking at least one large hunk and making some belly burnt ends. And that’s the main reason I posted this, so y’all can tell me your experience and methods to produce those sweet BBQ morsels from smoked pork belly! Thanks for reading, and participating!
I am anxious to see answers too. I geta whole belly every 2-3 months, just for bacon. before slicing on LEM slicer we cube a hunk just to make pork belly tacos.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
I pre-cube my pork belly also. Then I'll give them the old shake-n-bake method with a good rub. Toss the cubes on the smoker and pull when they're about 3/4 of the way done. Drop them in a pan with honey, BBQ sauce, butter and a few more shakes of rub. Stir, then cover the pan and cook until finished. Once done I'll put the cubes back on the grate to set the sauce. They're a little rich to eat too often but once or twice a year and they're perfect snacking food.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky