completely muffed chuck burnt ends.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
down here Miami wayfinding an affordable brisket point is nary impossible, and I didn't want to drop a Benjamin to get a whole packer and have it cut, just for burnt ends. So 'd followed a few threads on "poor mans" burnt ends using chuck roast. WD had chuckie on sale for $5.49 so I thought it would be a good time to give it a shot.
After reading many "recommendations" I decided to do it similar to the way i would do brisket burnt ends.
dry rubbed with my rib rub with a little extra chili powder the night before.
Got WSM to 240 and added a chunk of oak and a chunk of hickory. Probed and placed on grate. The plan was to cook to 185, then rest and cube. Iwas little worried about it shredding so I pulled at 185. Rested and cubed into 1.5"-ish cubes. Put cubes in shallow tin fole pan and covered (almost) wit with a broth of beef broth and SBR honey Chipolte. 70% broth 30%BBQ sauce. covered and returned to grate. wass planning on pulling at about 203. An hour and 1/2 later cubes were probing 200 and looking delicious. Pulled and put in big serving bowl.
The finished product looked delicious. upon plating I discovered and1/2 of the cubes were tougher than shoe leather. The ones that melted in you mouth wee fntastic, but a much lower yield than I expected. I'm not a big fan of BBQ 0sauce on beef, so we suck bagged the remaining to try later.
Sooo.... I've done hundreds of chuck roasts in the crock with taters, carrots and th like, never had chuck this tough.
Was it too thin to cook this way? Should I have picked a more chunky piece of meat?
If it tasted as good as it looks, I wouldn't be writing this.
Curious minds...
Thanks
John

chuck roast.jpg

rubbed chuck.jpg

ends.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky