48 Hour Short Ribs in Red Wine Reduction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mustardsauce

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
I'm trying this recipe for the first time and am currently 36 hours into it. 48 Hour Beef Short Ribs. Has anybody ever done this one before?

160 seems like a pretty high temperature for 48 hours, but these guys put out a ton of recipes so I doubt they got the temperature wrong. I'll post results later tonight or tomorrow, but I'm sure hoping I didn't waste 2 days and flush some cash down the drain!

Reactions: mike243 and kruizer
The Sous Vide Guys are great, I'd bet you'll be pretty darned happy. He sure has quite the collection of blades on that back wall, those magnetic knife holders are a accident waiting to happen.

I have some short ribs on the Lang as we speak! Al

Go Al! What kind of wood are you smoking with Al? RAY

Reactions: mustardsauce
I'm trying this recipe for the first time and am currently 36 hours into it. 48 Hour Beef Short Ribs. Has anybody ever done this one before?

160 seems like a pretty high temperature for 48 hours, but these guys put out a ton of recipes so I doubt they got the temperature wrong. I'll post results later tonight or tomorrow, but I'm sure hoping I didn't waste 2 days and flush some cash down the drain!

I believe That's going to be very "Fall off the bone", at 160° for 48 hours.
Reason being:
I do my Chuckies at 135° for 30 hours for a Steak like result.
And I do Chuckies at 165° for 30 hours, for an awesome pulled beef.

Yours should be Great, but just so you know it should be very FOTB.

Bear

The Sous Vide Guys are great, I'd bet you'll be pretty darned happy. He sure has quite the collection of blades on that back wall, those magnetic knife holders are a accident waiting to happen.

Go Al! What kind of wood are you smoking with Al? RAY

I'm using a combo of oak & hickory. I took some photo's & will post up a thread later.
Sorry for the hijack!
Al

BTW Mustardsauce:
Those "Sous Vide Everything" guys played a big part in my starting to use Sous Vide.
Before everything I did, in the beginning, I'd go to YouTube, and watch as many videos as I could find of that meat, and I'd take notes of all of their Times & Temps, etc, etc.
Then I'd zero in on what most of them agreed on to get my starting point for that meat.
Those Brazilian guys were the main attraction, because they have a video on just about everything we do here on SMF, and they do a Great Job!!!
Then I'd consult a couple of web sites, and my book from "Douglas Baldwin" to make sure it fell in line with those places.
So that's where all of my Step by Steps originated from. And then after the first time, I'd only have to tweak it to my tastes.

Bear

Reactions: crazymoon
RenderedContent-F40E8BE1-3CB3-40E9-9AF8-226FC645C3D1.JPG

IMG-8205.JPG

Overall, the recipe was just ok. They were cooked perfectly and the texture of the short ribs was wonderful, but the flavors were a little strange to me for beef. I'll 100% be doing sous vide short ribs again, but I'll probably skip the orange peel and wine reduction.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky