• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Short Ribs Braised w/Red Wine

Serving Size: 4
Summary: Haven't had too much luck attempting to smoke the small short rib pieces our local grocer carries but this recipe done slowly via crockpot (approx -7 hrs) has turned out some great eats! BTW: I don't use the optional leek & fennel, anymore. - Matt

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs. beef short ribs (bone-in), 2 pkgs of 4 bones each
1 tablespoon olive oil
- - -
Veggies
2 large carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 each leek (optional), chopped - white part only
1 each fennel bulb (optional), chopped - core & fronds removed
- - -
750 milliliters dry red wine - pinot noir, 1 bottle
1/2 cup beef stock, "Better than Beef" 1-large tbs dissolved in water
3 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolve in stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar, dissolve in stock
1.5 tsp salt & pepper
- - -
Gravy & Roux - 4 min stir
3 tablespoons butter, Roux
3 tablespoons flour, Roux
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup red wine (pinot noir)
strained juice from crockpot, defatted
Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Chop all the veggies and put in the CrockPot. Lay the rosemary & thyme on top.

2. Pour in 3/4 of the bottle of wine. Dissolve the brown sugar & tomato paste in the beef stock then add to the pot. Stir to combine.

3. Remove back bone membrane then season well with salt &pepper. Add olive oil to a large, heavy skillet on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the short ribs and sear for 3-4 minutes per side. Don’t crowd the pan, instead do it in two batches.

NOTE: carefully wipe out the remaining oil in the pan, use remaining 1/4 bottle of wine to deglaze the bits & pieces then pour into the CrockPot.

4. Add the short ribs in as even of a layer as possible (some will likely stick out and that's ok). Cook on high for 1 hour then on low for 5-6 hours.

5. Finishing - a smooth rich gravy: Remove ribs to a plate and place in warm oven. Strain all the liquid and then defat. Start with a roux (equal parts flour and butter) stirring for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat. After the 4 min stir, add the defatted liquid and stir over medium heat to thicken. Stir in Worcestershire & wine, plus a dash of salt. Adjust with salt & pepper to taste. There will be plenty of liquid for the gravy, you might not need all of it

Notes:

3/30/18: Timing - used 1 hr on high & 6 hrs on low.

NEXT TIME: Think about adding 2-bay leaves & 2 tsp of oregano.

Last edited:

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Sounds good, I would think you could adjust the recipe to work on your smoker.

Chris

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Sounds like a good braising recipe, thanks for sharing.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That sound really good!
Al

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Sounds good, I would think you could adjust the recipe to work on your smoker.
Chris
I thought about it but then realized I wanted the goodness of the bone marrow and rendered fat to enhance the flavor of the gravy, so the crockpot seemed best.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I thought about it but then realized I wanted the goodness of the bone marrow and rendered fat to enhance the flavor of the gravy, so the crockpot seemed best.
Give the ribs 1.5-2 hours of smoke then slow braise in a foiled pan or Dutch oven in the smoker.
We can have the best of both methods.
Have our cake and eat it too.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.