Couple Meals This Week: NY Strips & Pork Ribs (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been kind of a weird week. Beginning of the week was crazy busy but slowed down considerably later in the week. Before the slow down I got a hankering for a steak. It had been almost a week and I was going through withdrawal. Had the shakes, light-headed, weak in the knees, and was about to go into convulsions. Well...maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but I really wanted one. Headed to the freezer and started looking around. These are what just kinda jumped out and into my hands:

Two nice NY Strips
001.jpg

Defrosted and lightly seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub
002.jpg

Onto the grill over the sear burner. Had to change plans here. Will explain shortly.
003.jpg

Grill is on medium-high so running about 900 degrees. This isn't gonna take long. Couple minutes then flip
004.jpg

Done and into the house to get happy.
005.jpg

Made a little salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, a dash of kosher salt, and dressed with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. There is more in the bowl than it looks like but I should have made a bigger salad. This was simple but REALLY tasty
006.jpg

Steak and salad plated with some Texas toast and out to the patio. This should scratch the itch
007.jpg

Yep, I think I'm gonna enjoy this
011_Fotogenic.jpg

This was one of those 10-15 minute meals that just hit the spot in a big way. Being that I do dearly love a good steak, I find a meal like this hard to beat....especially when time is short. The original plan was to do these on the hybrid SM. As I was getting the grill set up though a front came in. No rain but got really cloudy and the wind was blowing about 30 mph. We're living in very hazardous conditions right now and 1 spark could torch half of Central Texas. I'm not gonna be the idiot that starts the fire so went with the gasser to be safe.

So yesterday was a short day in the filed but I was asked to write some engineering letters and plans for a few of the jobs we need to get wrapped up. Our lead engineer is running way behind with the work load that's on the books so being able to help him out and do it from home gave me the opportunity to fire up the smoker. It is right outside the window from my desk so I could keep an eye on things but still be helpful to the boss. As soon as I got home I defrosted a rack of pork ribs. Last week our good friend TNJAKE TNJAKE posted an amazing looking rack he'd done with an Asian BBQ sauce. He swore by the stuff and that's good enough for me so I ordered some. It got here a couple days ago so this was the perfect time to give it a shot.

This is the sauce. Jake is right, this stuff is off the charts!!
001.jpg

The ribs seasoned up with the sauce and a sprinkle of my pork rub
002.jpg

Onto the smoker at 11:30. Running 250 with cherry wood
003.jpg

At the 1 hour mark
004.jpg

2 hours in and I brush another light coating of the sauce on
005.jpg

I dropped the temp back to 220 at the 2 hour mark. They were cooking too fast. At the 4 hour mark I brought them in, another light brushing of the sauce, another sprinkle of the rub, and some butter. Then wrap and back on the smoker.
006.jpg

All done after about 5 1/2 hours. Can anybody give me advice about getting some color on my ribs? :emoji_laughing:
007.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve
008.jpg

Super juicy and tender
009.jpg

Plated with some baked beans and a quick-pickled cucumber salad with onions and jalapenos
010.jpg

Perfect bite and pulled clean from the bones. Tracy was happy (she likes VERY tender ribs) so that made me happy
012.jpg

Jake shared a home run with that sauce. It was somewhat of an oxymoron for us though. Our typical BBQ is more traditional Texas but this was all the way around the world different...but very good. The sauce is somewhat of a teriyaki / garlic / ginger profile with just a bit of a spice tingle. Weird part is that I never tasted the sauce before putting the ribs on. Squirted some in a spoon after getting the ribs going and was blown away with the flavor. All by itself you get a little spiciness but when used on the ribs, it's just a very light glow of heat. I'm planning to do a batch of jerky with this stuff as well as using it for stir fry. Got some good stuff coming, that's for sure.

Y'all take care, have a great weekend, and thanks for sticking with me through this missive.

Robert

Another couple of hits Robert. Both the ribs and steak are perfectamondo. Sorry I can't help you with getting color on your ribs. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Point for sure
Chris

Yeah I'd be a little embarrassed by the color on those ribs :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: As always a great looking pair of cooks. You and Jake gonna make me order some of that sauce!
Jim

Two pieces of art there Robert, everything looks perfect! Been thinking about that Japanese Q sauce ever since Jake posted it, be a little much for some in residence. RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Good looking meals Robert. Glad you liked the sauce! Flavor hits on alot of levels. Gonna use it on some chops tomorrow

Robert, your steaks and ribs are off the chain. Outstanding!
The rib color looks great on my screen.
But, I've only been grilling and smoking meat for about 45 years, so I really can't give any advice on getting color on your ribs. Sorry.

Stu

Another couple of hits Robert. Both the ribs and steak are perfectamondo. Sorry I can't help you with getting color on your ribs.
Thanks so much Chris. honestly though, I was really hoping you could help out with some advice on the ribs. Oh well...maybe next time :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Yeah I'd be a little embarrassed by the color on those ribs
I am so embarrassed Jim (hanging head in shame) but thank you for the comments. I appreciate it.
You and Jake gonna make me order some of that sauce!
Go for it!! That stuff is amazing and would be great for more than just a BBQ sauce.

Robert

Two pieces of art there Robert, everything looks perfect! Been thinking about that Japanese Q sauce ever since Jake posted it, be a little much for some in residence.
Thank you my friend. The kind words are appreciated. As for the sauce, it has a little tingle right out of the bottle but calms down to virtually no spice at all during the cook. Flavor is off the charts though!!

Robert

Robert, you seem to use a variety of sauces both homemade and store bought. Have you ever tried YUM-YUM sauce. I keep seeing it in the local grocer and was wondering what it taste like? Something about it keeps catching my eye - maybe it's just the name.

Chris

Great job on both the ribs & the steak Robert!
I have that sauce on our grocery list, since Jake said he thought WM carried it. If you guys are raving about it, I have to try it too!
Your photo’s are magazine quality!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky