Shooting temperature hazard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WDFraph

Original poster
Jul 6, 2022
Hello there, I'm brand new to this forum, please tell me if it as been discussed by the past...

I'm a couple months old of smoking tryouts and want to perfect the temperature ability.

I've got a 22 inches Weber performer with an All-in-1 ring (picture below).
20220531_143123.jpg

I did chicken this week, nailing the temperature I was aiming for - 325°f - with a full chimney of unlit coals and 20 lit ones. I was really happy.

Tonight I wanted to cook some ribs, aiming for 225°f for around 4 hours of cooking.
I had a full chimney of unlit coals and 4 lit ones on top of it.
After 30 minutes, the temp went over 300° then I closed the bottom and top vents so it could drop down.
But it went up and up... 1 hour of smoking and the temp went full 450° never shooting down.
Here's the ribs. Weren't the best and used too much salt in my rub. But practice makes perfect as they say!

20220706_221023.jpg
20220706_221204.jpg

What in hell went wrong and how would you manage the fire for a 225°f setup?

Is there a kind of chart for the numbers of lit coals to use for certain temps?
Is minion, snake or other method best for this setup?
Is moisture helping for ribs? By adding a drip pan full of water between the fire and the meat, or not?!

Any other advices to help me manage that temp without hassle?!

Thank you guys, looking out for the perfect rack!!

Attachments

• 20220706_221023.jpg
    20220706_221023.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7
And did you leave the All-in-one ring on when ya did the ribs ??

temp went over 300° then I closed the bottom and top vents

Also.. in the future start closing down the bottom vent at least 25 degrees before your target temp... It is very hard to bring temps back down once they go well past target temp ... As Al said... the bottom vent will just barely be cracked open to run at 225 ...

Reactions: rdknb
^^^ What they said. ^^^

Also, try not using the all-in-one ring on your next smoke as it might be allowing in additional oxygen

Are you using a separate digital thermometer probe on the grate or are you going by the lid thermometer to verify temps?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky