Which Comes First the Meat or the Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ms jess

Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
New Bern, N.C.
I have been traveling thru the website and reading several different posts regarding the steps to set up the smokers!  I see several different ideas when it comes to putting meat in the smoker before bringing it up to temp and starting out cold...when I cook in the oven or on the grill I bring the temp up to the desired level then add my meats, dishes etc...the preheat...

Is it different for smoking meats?  What I did the other day (first attempt) was sprayed my grates, added water and the wet wood chips...then the wings and brought the smoker up to temp...and set my timer...is this the wrong way?  Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I am trying to get these steps down exactly per the masters!  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

1 st there are no stupid questions,the way i do it is get smoker to temp before adding meat,i don't use water in pan, and if i do use wood chips i don't soak them,but what ever way works for you go with it.i'm sure you'll get  different answers because everyone does things a little different, so you'll have to play around and see what works for you the best, good luck and happy smoking.

I like to preheat unless doing some sausage or bacon. Any uncured meat you should try to stay safe by, 40* to 140* in 4 hrs. that way no baddies can survive.

X 2 what Jim said...I get my pit up to temp before putting the meat on, and I never soak wood chips...the water has to evaporate before the wood chips will smolder and make smoke...just MHO.

Red

I always get my smoker going first, the come in and start prepping my meat. Now I am an old stick burner but that's the way I have always done it.

Not sure about the water pan though, most people on here don't use water

Gary

I guess I am the outcast.  I fill and light my AMNPS and let it get burning, set my food in the smoker, turn it on and set it, and then place the AMNPS inside and the door is closed.  It might take 20-30 minutes to get up to temp but it always does.

Putting meat in a hot oven is more historical than because it creates some magic. In most medieval towns there was One community oven, at the center of town, fired once and then used by whomever needed it during the day. Women would Dock their bread, slash various patterns on the top of the bread so theirs could be recognized from the others after baking. Later there often was one or more ovens located at or near the Bakery. The oven was fired with wood very early in the morning and when up to temp the bread was baked. Bread baking would be completed early in the day but the oven was still hot and would stay that way for a long time even overnight in some cases. Usually the Baker would allow the towns people, at a small price, to use the oven for preparing their evening meal, so meat was placed in the hot oven, around 400°F and roasted. This high temp gave a wonderful looking and tasty brown surface crust or bark and then finished the cooking. As the oven cooled to a moderate oven, 350°F, different dishes could be made, cakes, pies and such. When the oven temp got down below 325°, a Slow Oven, this was the time to cook low and slow foods like Braising meat, meat cooked partially submerged in liquid in a covered pot, for several hours. This method of cooking meat in an already hot oven has been around so long that the practice is continued with the preheating of home ovens. Some foods can only be cooked in a preheated oven, Cakes would not rise and cook properly going in a cold oven. Puff Pastry and Danish would not puff up and would be greasy. Pie Crusts would not be flakey and individual Cookies would spread so much they would all run together.

As far as Smoking meat goes, the preheating may just be carried over from the practice of cooking in an oven. But because most smoking is done at low temps there are safety issues the longer that meat is at any temp between 40 and 140°F. In the case of smoking Ground Meats like sausage, fatties and meatloaf, we want the internal temp up asap so there is no time for internal bacteria to grow thus preheating is a must. For meats with intact surfaces, other than bacteria riddled Poultry, it would make little difference if you started in a cold smoker but there are other things to consider. Most woods make nasty tasting White, Creosote laden smoke when they are just starting to burn. The point of getting the smoker up to temp allows the wood to get smoking, really burning, more cleanly and we get the smoke to the desired Thin Blue Smoke (TBS), before we add the meat, TBS is needed to impart a better flavor over a long cook. If your smoker is a large Stick Burner, or it is very cold out, it takes a long time to get the smoker temp up to the desired temp and generate TBS. That long period not only would give the meat a nasty taste but the heating time could allow for bacterial growth on any meat that started in the cold smoker. 

People are always coming up with different methods and procedures in cooking to bring out an assortment of characteristics, flavor, texture, degree of doneness, etc, in meat and other foods. But when it comes to smoking meat, there is just no good reason, I can think of, to put meat in a cold smoker and then fire it up. And soaking wood chips gains you nothing in any smoker other than maybe in a Charcoal fired smoker and even that is debatable...JJ 

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
I want to thank everyone for their input...fascinating and very helpful.  I think I will opt for a preheated smoker in lieu of the cold smoker...good idea and concerns with the bacteria.  I will also try dry chips in lieu of the soaking method.  That makes good sense because I have never seen a soaked chips or soaked wood in a stick burner as you call it...Ok, thus I have a few avenues to explore.  I am going to smoke some ribs on Sunday along with some meatballs...so that will be my test run!  I just received my gloves, a wireless themometer along with a few spices we could not get here in our area...I hate that when it happens...small towns and only a few stores...
confused.gif
 to shop in...Once again thank you all for your help.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky