Where are the briskets in North Texas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
This weekend is my bride's grandmother's 100th birthday and there is quite the celebration planned!

Well, my brother in law decided that he would pay to have a fish fry for the event, but quite a few people in the family don't care for fish and I was "voluntold" to make a couple of briskets and some sausage....

I went to 4 different stores today to get a couple of briskets and either found NONE or only Angus for $6.79 a pound! I love this lady, but she's going to eat the fish and NOT brisket, the other folks are on their own IMO.

I asked the butcher shop worker at Sam's what was up and he said that getting briskets right now was tough!

I finally found a store that had brisket at $3.79 a pound and got one of the 3 they had in stock.

After conferring with a few family members I decided on one 14# brisket and 6# of sausage...

So, anyone else having trouble finding brisket that isn't priced stupid?

Reactions: JLeonard
Krogers in my area are going to have them on sale starting tomorrow for $2.99/lb., USDA Choice. Maybe in your area, too??

I've read that the recent arctic weather that started right after Christmas in the mid-west had wrecked havoc on shipping and processing of beef. This latest arctic blast can't be helping the matter at all....This too shall pass....

I'll try and find the article I read....

Reactions: chopsaw
I monitor the up and down pricing where I buy meat . Brisket is through the roof . Started 2 weeks ago , and is up another 50 cents today . Pork is going in that direction too but it's been up for awhile .
Strip loin and whole rib roasts are down by a couple bucks . In my area ,,, just to be clear .

Only place I see any in stock lately is Sam's. Walmart rarely has more than one or 2 and they are scrawny, but the Sam's aren't much better if any. About 3.79 for choice at Sam's

Publix and Teeter only ever carry flats at about $8/lb

Crazy. We always have great sales here in North Texas. I passed on last couple because trying to use up what I got. Looks like you live just west of me. I live in Sherman. Have been to Fishers in Muenster lately? Been a while but last couple times was pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
Crazy. We always have great sales here in North Texas. I passed on last couple because trying to use up what I got. Looks like you live just west of me. I live in Sherman. Have been to Fishers in Muenster lately? Been a while but last couple times was pretty disappointed.
Yep, just west in Bowie. I went into Denton to Sam's and all they had was Angus for $6.79 a pound! WalMart had something they called a brisket that looked more like a murdered tri-tip, Albertson's was completely out, and I finally found some at Kroger and got one there.

Sadly, Fischer's has become more of a tourist stop than a good local meat market. I've been disappointed the last few times I went in.

Don't usually pay much attention to brisket but did look today... $4.99 / lb.
Apparently the milk truck didn't arrive... not a single gallon in the store.

Ryan

Never have a problem at Costco for their prime packers.
I dunno about you Edgewood folks... Just kidding, we still have a family farm out by Fruitvale...

No Costco's close enough to me to warrant the drive, Sam's usually gets me fixed, but even they were out of the "affordable" briskets.
Don't usually pay much attention to brisket but did look today... $4.99 / lb.
Apparently the milk truck didn't arrive... not a single gallon in the store.

Ryan
$4.99/lb?!?! WOW, I remember the days when brisket was one of the cheapest cuts out there and never had an issue finding any.

Since the "polar vortex" hit our area here in North Texas, the milk and bread were hard to find for a day or so. 46 here now! Almost time for shorts and flip flops!

Just went to Sams here in OKC, they had a lot of briskets, both prime and choice. Prime = $5 and Choice = $4 a pound.

I doubt many here have been smoking briskets. Its just been too cold for a long cook and we're getting another shot tomorrow.

Just went to Sams here in OKC, they had a lot of briskets, both prime and choice. Prime = $5 and Choice = $4 a pound.

I doubt many here have been smoking briskets. Its just been too cold for a long cook and we're getting another shot tomorrow.
Smoked one on Monday. I am in California though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky