Auber WS-1510 Not Reaching Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's wired in the circuit as a safety for run away overheating . Not sure if you left it in the circuit or not when you rewired .
I did read this ,

If you have the cord directly to the element at the back of the smoker , then the limit is no longer in play . Just making sure .
The electric cord with plug is wired directly to the element. MES electronics have been bypassed.

I have been watching this for about 1/2 hr now and it is maintaining 270 +/- 2* with no controller at all. Just plugged in directly. Strange.

I am scratching my head too. I know for a fact the element can run hotter as I ran chicken a few times at 325F. Can you still access your wire connections? Curious what they look like. Maybe starting to flake out. I am thinking bad element then I guess.

I am scratching my head too. I know for a fact the element can run hotter as I ran chicken a few times at 325F. Can you still access your wire connections? Curious what they look like. Maybe starting to flake out. I am thinking bad element then I guess.
Yes I can access the connections. When I replaced the element I also put new stainless connections on it too. I will have to take the covers off and double check my work, but I'm 99.5 % that the element is wired directly to the plug.

I also believe that it can get hotter, but the only explanation I have for the situation is that it's 47 outside and 270 is all the element can do. But I don't believe that. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and buy a new smoker. With the Auber and the new element, a new MES would have been another $75. But after my experience with MES controls I wasn't interested.

Reactions: zwiller
99.5 % that the element is wired directly to the plug.
If it's directly to the element it would be through that access plate with the 6 screws in it .
20190116_162123.jpg
Looks like this inside . Those are the lugs for the element itself .
So you would disconnect those wires , and put your power cord onto the lugs .
20181105_125842.jpg

If you can, measure the voltage at the outlet while you have the smoker plugged in. There may be voltage drop in your house wiring.

I believe the next thing I'm going to do is determine how the meat effects the temp inside the box. I now have a situation where the smoker is holding 270 degrees +/- 2 degrees when empty. I'm thinking that I may only have to regulate when I need a lower temp (for salmon or other low temp apps). If it will hold 250 - 260 while loaded I may not have to do anything. Yes I would like to know why the element won't go higher, but if it works does it matter? Of course it was 47 outside yesterday. May be a different story when it's 90.

I'll test the voltage but I'm not an electrician. This is a 20 amp circuit with very little load on it. Seems like it should work.

I think it's a good idea to check out the wiring. I would be trying another outlet (on a different circuit). I've done some smokes in cold weather (15F was coldest I recall) and was sorta shocked how well the MES performed so I don't think it's that.

Thanks for all your responses guys. My next attempt will be to try a different circuit and make the settings adjustments to the Auber and see what happens. I think I will also set the control at 260*. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your responses guys. My next attempt will be to try a different circuit and make the settings adjustments to the Auber and see what happens. I think I will also set the control at 260*. I'll let you know how it goes.
HI there and welcome!

Question. Where are you placing the PID temp probe and are you keeping it in that same
spot every time?

I have noticed that with very very very wet and large loads (brined turkeys) an MES can struggle to hit max smoker temp but outside that situation, or being way over loaded, it should do ok.

Oh also, what are your P-I-D settings. I don't think I saw them posted (my bad if I missed them).

HI there and welcome!

Question. Where are you placing the PID temp probe and are you keeping it in that same
spot every time?

I have noticed that with very very very wet and large loads (brined turkeys) an MES can struggle to hit max smoker temp but outside that situation, or being way over loaded, it should do ok.

Oh also, what are your P-I-D settings. I don't think I saw them posted (my bad if I missed them).
The sensor was middle left side about 1/3 down from the top.

PID settings are standard factory settings.

The turkey breast was 5.3lbs raw weight. I removed the skin and injected 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth, butter, and spices. There was about 2/3 cup of liquid in the bottom of the pan that I added prior to going in the smoker.

I can see how the load (turkey, liquid) would affect the temp. What I'm having a problem with is how is the unregulated heat element, that is wired directly to the power cord, holding a steady temp of +/- 270* with the box empty? Of course, if the element will only heat and empty box to 270 it will not be able to reach 275 with a load. As far as I can see, the element itself has no way to regulate itself.

The sensor was middle left side about 1/3 down from the top.

PID settings are standard factory settings.

The turkey breast was 5.3lbs raw weight. I removed the skin and injected 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth, butter, and spices. There was about 2/3 cup of liquid in the bottom of the pan that I added prior to going in the smoker.

I can see how the load (turkey, liquid) would affect the temp. What I'm having a problem with is how is the unregulated heat element, that is wired directly to the power cord, holding a steady temp of +/- 270* with the box empty? Of course, if the element will only heat and empty box to 270 it will not be able to reach 275 with a load. As far as I can see, the element itself has no way to regulate itself.

Yeah if uncontrolled and only hitting 270F then that's unlikely to get you to high temps with food in it.

Does closing the vent down like 80% closed help with heat at all?

As for the Auber in a normal situation, the factory settings likely would need to be changed or it would operate too slow for my tastes.
Additionally clipping the temp probe under the center of lowest rack may give you higher temps at that rack level but won't help the rest of the smoker.

I cut an untreated Birch wood half-sheet so that I can place it as a heat/air reducer in my MES40. I just slide it in ON TOP of the rack holders (not into the holders) and it cuts down the air/heat flow from just flying right out to the vent. This helps my heat efficiency a good bit. Maybe something you can mimic with a tray or something you have laying around.

Just some things to think on :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky