Something to Take Our Minds off of Our Current Situation.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ya'll mind if I stick my head in the down and reference a few? I see some do albums (showing my age here at least I didn't say 8-tracks), some reference groups and some reference songs.

Lets see what I can stir up.

Beach Boys, all California dreaming the place every , every red blooded American boy wanted to be to find one of those hot beach babes! The Drifters, Sam Cooke, Jacky Wilson, Jan & Dean, Righteous bros, Buddy Holly, OMG I forgot ZZ!!!!
Then was the soul era; Gaye, Temptations, Rascals, Smokey Robinson, Franklin, Procol Harem,
Then the college years; Chicago Transit Authority, Jefferson Airplane, Byrds and the Dirt Band, college was sweet.
John Prine's first album in its entirety, all about our second place finish in the 1st annual SE Asia war games. Unbelievable music, perfect timing, required play time in all ll quonset hut barracks nightly.
Crosby Still Nash and Young, what ever happened to Nash?
The Beatles and CCR, the only band to have gazillion top hits and never get a number 1, someone always topped 'em. Seal & Croft, Carlos Santana, Dwayne Alleman, Leo Kottke
Gary Moore the sweetest blues you ever heard, he topped Eric Clapton and Eric Johnson (the guitarist who was reputed to have such an ear as to tell the difference in the type batteries in his foot petal).
Then the redneck years with Skynyrd, Thorogood, MMMurphy, McEuen, Daniels, Clark, Travis, Willie, Hank Jr., Reba, etc....

I'll stop before entering into the realm of classical which I definitely enjoy also.
Foamie looks like I caught the end of your era, but I love all of those Artists/Bands you mentioned.

Some of the early stuff you mentioned I listened to on AM radio, but the later stuff I actually had on tape/vinyl.

John

I'm going to check out the Jimmy Buffett concert @8pm. My first Buffett concert in 2000 or 2001? Our bus burned down on the way to Camden NJ. We stopped at the Allentown service plaza to meet with another bus tour group. The driver forgot to release the back brakes and the tires caught on fire, charring the hole bus.

Bus was destroyed but the beer was cold...needless to say we arrived a bit late. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Also been listening to a lot of Son Volt lately.

I want to try to get into that tonight for sure, but I have a cook that needs to get done around the same time so we will see.

John

Leon Redbone. What an interesting character. Saw him in a small theater on Nashville campus late 70s. Overhead lighting, Panama hat. Never saw his face for the entire concert.
I remember him as well on radio but do not have any in my music collection....need to change that.

Again WOW folks, this has been really fun. When I started it I was not sure if it would flop or not.

John

Last edited:
Leon Redbone. What an interesting character. Saw him in a small theater on Nashville campus late 70s. Overhead lighting, Panama hat. Never saw his face for the entire concert.

Shine on, shine on harvest moon up in the sky ................. I saw redbone, Kottke, and Tom Waits in New Orleans at maple leaf. LOL... They told me I did anyway.

Foamie looks like I caught the end of your era, but I love all of those Artists/Bands you mentioned.

Some of the early stuff you mentioned I listened to on AM radio, but the later stuff I actually had on tape/vinyl.

John

High School, before FM radio. used to sit at the Dairy Queen on Friday/Saturday nights with Betty Lou Thema Liz, listening to the radio and sipping a cherry coke.... LOL... More like at the camp drinking beer around a bonfire telling lies about what many men we were. Hoping some girls would show up.. LOL Back then at 10PM The stations lost their FCC regulations and could crank the power up. Places like WLS Chicago, WWL New Orleans, WSM nashville and KAAY Little Rock Arks. They had Clyde Clifford doing Beaker St till midnite (knights of the crimson king, etc), and then Beaker Theater after that. They did stuff like war of the worlds, and the Mercury Theatre stuff.... There simply was no FM. I remember a buddies Dad's '58 Fairlane fully loaded, had a turntable mounted under the dash. One LP at a time and no 45's. Wow that was long long ago on a planet far far away.

High School, before FM radio. used to sit at the Dairy Queen on Friday/Saturday nights with Betty Lou Thema Liz, listening to the radio and sipping a cherry coke.... LOL... More like at the camp drinking beer around a bonfire telling lies about what many men we were. Hoping some girls would show up.. LOL Back then at 10PM The stations lost their FCC regulations and could crank the power up. Places like WLS Chicago, WWL New Orleans, WSM nashville and KAAY Little Rock Arks. They had Clyde Clifford doing Beaker St till midnite (knights of the crimson king, etc), and then Beaker Theater after that. They did stuff like war of the worlds, and the Mercury Theatre stuff.... There simply was no FM. I remember a buddies Dad's '58 Fairlane fully loaded, had a turntable mounted under the dash. One LP at a time and no 45's. Wow that was long long ago on a planet far far away.
Foamie that's a cool story!

Thanks for sharing.

John

That's it---I couldn't think of his name. Thanks Keith !!
When somebody said "Sings & Stutters", I remembered Mel Tillis from one time I saw him on "The Fishing' Hole", but his name eluded me!!

Bear

Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) fell into that bucket too. My parents took me to see him live when I was a kid back around '70 or '71. Hell of a voice, and he stuttered quite a bit.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
One thing I've been seeing a lot of lately is all these channels on youtube where the younger folks are recording themselves reacting to listening to "our" music for the first time. It's kind of fun to see the faces as the songs that we loved are reaching these younger people. Brings me back to when I first heard them -- the excitement of peeling the wrapper off a new LP and putting it on the turntable and hearing gems like Boston's first album or Pink Floyd's the Wall for the first time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky