Not smoking related but blowing off a little steam.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
So I recently bought a 12’ x 24’ “shed” that will become my new wood shop to help keep me occupied when I retire in January. Since the floor is pressure treated plywood I was going to get some good old fashion oil base floor enamel to paint the floor, knowing if I thin it some it will soak in and give me a nice finish. To my surprise it is illegal for the paint store to sell me an oil base paint here in Michigan. So I ask the salesperson at the paint store what he can sell me to put on there. He says they have a nice latex floor enamel but because it’s latex and the floor is pressure treated wood I will have to wait at least a year, 2 would be better before I can apply it or it will just peel off?
We’ll if all goes as planned I’ll be knee deep in saw dust by then 😁.
I’ll have to figure out a plan b. Ok that’s it my rant is off thanks for listening. IMG_3887.jpeg IMG_3888.jpeg

When I couldn’t find the floor finish I wanted for my shop, (I try to deal locally first) I ordered it on Amazon and had just what I wanted 3 days later.

Reactions: JC in GB
So oil base paint is not available Michigan or he could not sell it to you?
So according to the paint store you now have to have a license to purchase it. I don’t know what it takes to get said license. Paint store (Sherwin Williams) that don’t even stock it. I tried Home Depot the person there just said they don’t carry it. I starting to feel like a teenager trying to get someone to buy me beer.

Well you can thank the uninformed that dumps the unused paint in the trash . I bet it has to do with disposal .
Your biggest concern should be the backside and moisture up take .
I think I would treat the bottom and not worry about the exposed side .
Is the structure going over gravel with a vapor barrier ?
I would think a good exterior paint on the bottom side of the sheet goods would be good , and leave the inside raw .

Like Rich said , unless you are raising your shed and have a good air flow underneath. The underside is your best place to have it covered. But also being pressure treated plywood, it will last a long time with out having to cover it , especially if some air blowing underside area.

If you are wanting to cover it ( inside floor ) with something for easier clean up of the floor in your wood shop, what about a Trimclad product, or do they not sell that in your area also.

The license might just be just a professional Painter, see if you can cozy up to one or maybe you know a friend of one that could purchase it for you, the original paint you wanted to use.

David

Reactions: chopsaw
It's for sure a Profesional painter thing . Because they have proper use and disposal training . I know the contractors in this area bring all unsed paint back to the shop for disposal. It's a good thing .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
How far are you from Ohio or Indiana? I'm about 1.5-2hrs north of Ohio border. It may be worth the drive if in range. Or find a lisenced painter to get it for you.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
I would think a good exterior paint on the bottom side of the sheet goods would be good , and leave the inside raw
The main reason for painting the inside (besides looking better) is that raw plywood doesn’t sweep that well, painting is mostly for easier cleanup.

What part of Michigan? Is it worth it to make a trip to pick it up?
I’m about 6 hours to Ohio so I’m not sure if it’s worth the trip for this project.
I have a friend who mostly tile work but some remodeling and he thinks he can score me a gallon or so. Last resort I can start visiting smaller hardware stores. Apparently it’s a new law for Michigan and retailers are allowed to sell their current inventory. My brother just told me he went to 2 stores to find oil based polyurethane varnish.

The main reason for painting the inside (besides looking better) is that raw plywood doesn’t sweep that well, painting is mostly for easier cleanup.
I get that . I think that once you get going , and sweep it out a few times , all the gaps and cracks will fill with saw dust and seal it up .
Mines in the basement , and I know the amount of saw dust that can be generated . I have an 1100 cfm dust collector hooked up in mine , and it helps a lot . You can do the same with a shop vac and a 2 stage collection system . The trash can by the collector takes all the big / heavy stuff . The fine dust goes into the collector .
1690852941304.png

Maybe just stain and varnish.

Dust collectors do make a big difference as chopsaw chopsaw said.
When I was in Texas I ran metal duct work to all the tools and each had a gate with a switch.
As soon as I opened the gate, the dust collector would turn on.
Also had a Jet air cleaner to reduce the amount of dust I would breath in.
Of course part of the success of that is tools that are properly designed for hooking up to dust collection.

A little linseed oil and some artists oil paint. Takes a bit to dry so use the color lightly. Works great on PT. Nice tint & you can see the grain so you can vary the texture. Test it first.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky