Cobia...not a lot of pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
It's been awhile since I've posted a cook and there are a few who know why, but here is one from tonight and not too many pics.

Back a few months ago, I went offshore fishing with a bunch of buddies and we caught one legal Cobia along with a bunch of other fish including some shark bait fish for the captain (the barracuda and the amberjack)...
20230702_182246[1].jpg
Yes, I'm in that pic, just look for the old man...🤣 Cobia really is great grilled so I said "why not?" I have in the past posted this thread so I won't walk on dirt I've already walked.

Anyway, I had the Cobia and seasoned simply with coarse salt & pepper...
20231016_153935[1].jpg

20231016_161127[1].jpg

On the grill with Jealous Devil lump...
20231016_173648[1].jpg

Now done...
20231016_180254[1].jpg

This was served with pan seared jumbo sea scallops (my wife LOVES scallops, I think I'm gonna fire her 🤣🤣)...
20231016_182136[1].jpg

...and roasted red potatoes. I made sautéed spinach and a beurre blanc sauce just like in the other thread and all is ready to eat. Not many other prep pics, but here's my plated pic...
20231016_185336[1].jpg

I hope that y'all have stuck with me through all of our trials and tribulations. It's been a LONG journey and I have recently gotten back my desire to cook and post again. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, they have sincerely changed our life...

I'm still going to FIRE my wife just because...🤣🤣 God, I love that woman SO MUCH...

Nice fishing trip. Almaco jacks can be great when cooked right. And Mangrove snapper are excellent table fare. However-I agree with the captain on the baracuda. Big ones can harbor bad bacteria. We don't keep them when caught in the hot Gulf of Mexico waters.

Reactions: fltsfshr
Oh yeah Charles! I be all over that. Love grilled fish. Been wanting to go with a crappie guide and keep some whole to grill. I pray that your wife is doing better. Your family has been threw some hard times and glad to see your post again.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Well Charles , this is a very good cook and how you did it.
And very glad to see you back at the cookers.

The love you have for your wife is beautiful. Reminds me of the song by Johnny Horton
" All for the love of a Girl " We would do anything we can for the loves of our life.

God bless you both

David

Charles my friend, I'm thrilled to see you back cooking and posting again. Tracy, mom, and myself were absolutely ecstatic to hear the latest news about Sheila. What a HUGE relief buddy.

The meal looks nothing short of amazing. Cobia is an outstanding fish and makes for a fantastic meal. The way you prepared it and the sides are just spectacular. I can only guess how good it all was.
I'm still going to FIRE my wife just because..
I'd recommend against doing that :emoji_wink:

Robert

Cobia is always good. Nice looking meal. Do you have Buttonwood where you are? That makes a great smoke with it.
You made me hungry. :)

Nice fishing trip. Almaco jacks can be great when cooked right. And Mangrove snapper are excellent table fare. However-I agree with the captain on the baracuda. Big ones can harbor bad bacteria. We don't keep them when caught in the hot Gulf of Mexico waters.
I've never had Almaco before. Do they have worms like the AJ's? I've heard that AJ's are good, but I can't get past the worms and I've cleaned small ones and big ones.

Mangroves are great. The limit is 20/per and we could've caught 100 that day, but we didn't want to clean that many.

That captain also runs shark fishing trips so he'll keep some fish for that.

Oh yeah Charles! I be all over that. Love grilled fish. Been wanting to go with a crappie guide and keep some whole to grill. I pray that your wife is doing better. Your family has been threw some hard times and glad to see your post again.
Thank you, Brian. Words can not describe the stress...

What a great meal man! Looks like you all had a fun day of bringing in the fish too. I've never had cobia
Thanks, Jeff!! It was a great trip with a fantastic captain and his mate. Cobia are mild and firm, not fishy tasting at all. They grill up excellently and will take smoke well, too.

Just an FYI, but there are 4 licensed boat captains in that pic...

Reactions: jcam222
Well Charles , this is a very good cook and how you did it.
And very glad to see you back at the cookers.

The love you have for your wife is beautiful. Reminds me of the song by Johnny Horton
" All for the love of a Girl " We would do anything we can for the loves of our life.

God bless you both

David
I really appreciate that, David...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Charles my friend, I'm thrilled to see you back cooking and posting again. Tracy, mom, and myself were absolutely ecstatic to hear the latest news about Sheila. What a HUGE relief buddy.

The meal looks nothing short of amazing. Cobia is an outstanding fish and makes for a fantastic meal. The way you prepared it and the sides are just spectacular. I can only guess how good it all was.

I'd recommend against doing that :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thank you, my friend. I think I'll keep her a little longer. It took me over 40 years to train her and at my age, I don't have enough time to train another...🤣🤣

I've never had Almaco before. Do they have worms like the AJ's?
I guess they can have worms, but I've not found any in AJ's or Almaco's here in the Gulf of Mexico. But we don't catch many of either so thus is a small sample size.

Mangroves are great. The limit is 20/per and we could've caught 100 that day, but we didn't want to clean that many.
Wow...20 mangroves. We use to be able to do that, but they bumped us down to 10 per man as part of a 20 fish aggregate. I'd clean 100 in a heart beat!

I guess they can have worms, but I've not found any in AJ's
Some will say that the small ones don't have worms, but every AJ I've ever cleaned around here has worms. There are those who love to eat them and the worms don't bother them...not me, just can't do it. Along our coast, AJs (we call them reef donkeys) are very plentiful and very easy to catch with fish up to 50 lbs. and bigger, common. State record just got broken with a fish that weighed 100 lbs. A lot of charter captains use them as "daysavers" when they can't get other fish to bite.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky