So let's talk knife sharpening...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
IMG_20231011_023147965.jpg

I like this 3 stage electric. Though, I usually just use the medium and fine stones now that I have my older knives sharpened. Couple passes. And they're good to go.

I have ceramic sticks, Lansky and a Ken Onion Work Sharp.
With some work I can get a shaving razor sharp blade with the sticks and Lansky, but with the Work Sharp I can get a blade scary sharp like a scalpel in just a few minutes.

I'm interested in a kitchen countertop knife sharpener.

Reactions: indaswamp
I bought this pretty cheaply from Amazon and it has made a huge difference on keeping my knifes nice and sharp. It is very simple to use and makes a huge difference. Now I use it regularly. Before I test to see how sharp the blades are I use this since I know they will be very sharp after a few seconds.

It has rough, medium and fine sharpeners and a separate one for scissors. You just pull them thru each step, more for a dull blade and less for an almost sharp one.

knife_sharpner.jpg

I bought this pretty cheaply from Amazon and it has made a huge difference on keeping my knifes nice and sharp. It is very simple to use and makes a huge difference. Now I use it regularly. Before I test to see how sharp the blades are I use this since I know they will be very sharp after a few seconds.

It has rough, medium and fine sharpeners and a separate one for scissors. You just pull them thru each step, more for a dull blade and less for an almost sharp one.

View attachment 678261
I have the same one in my work tool box.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Reactions: Steve H
Good ole knife steel? Lanske? Stones? or the new motorized angle sharpening systems? Pro's and cons....ease vs, difficulty....

Go!
Have a Ken Onion work sharp. It scares the shit out of me to put my Wuhstof on it for fear of ruining a great knife. Also have to steels which i use occasionally to fine tune my meat knives.
I've tried honing stones but my eye/hand coordination don't yield good results.

Ken Onion with the blade sharpener attachment. It uses 1” wide belts & is much easier to use than the attachment that came with the unit. I even took a butter knife & sharpened it so I could shave my arm with it. Great unit!
Al

Have a Ken Onion work sharp. It scares the shit out of me to put my Wuhstof on it for fear of ruining a great knife. Also have to steels which i use occasionally to fine tune my meat knives.
I have that exact same issue! I have the Ken Onion Worksharp, Buck diamond stones, and the Wusthof steels. I really like the look of that countertop model Steve H Steve H has, just hesitant to order it for fear of taking too much material off the blade. I have a drawer full of old cheaper blades that I run thru the worksharp. I have gift cards and have thoughts of ordering the electric sharpener from Wusthof, just haven't worked up the guts to pull the trigger yet.

DSCN3629.JPG

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I have a Ken Onion work sharp and I do not like it. If you follow the directions the way they are written, the way you pull the blade thru it curves the blade...one side the belt is going up, other side the belt is going down. I ruined a cheap knife first time I used it...had to bring it to my Uncle to put a new edge on it with his rotary stone. I figured a way to run the knives thru with the belt running down on both sides, but it's too awkward for me to use.

Same, don't mind with my old knives but my good ones have just been using steel. Know they will need more than that soon :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

I have a Ken Onion work sharp and I do not like it. If you follow the directions the way they are written, the way you pull the blade thru it curves the blade...one side the belt is going up, other side the belt is going down. I ruined a cheap knife first time I used it...had to bring it to my Uncle to put a new edge on it with his rotary stone. I figured a way to run the knives thru with the belt running down on both sides, but it's too awkward for me to use.
I don't care for it either. I actually ordered THIS, but amazon sent me the motorized Ken Onion version so I kept it. In hind sight I should have returned it, but too late now. For the most part I'll use it to put an edge back on but I have a few steels that keep the kitchen knives in working order. I only own two knives that I would consider not cheap.. one is a fairly standard Henckel 8" chefs knife that I've had for no less than 15 years, and a Zwilling Twin Gourmet meat cleaver I picked up a few years back (Amazon sez 2016) that I can't say has ever needed a sharpening. I think I am going back to the original plan and start stoning the knives again.

I have a Tormek slow stone sharpener that I got for chisels, turning tools & planer/jointer blades. It does a great job on kitchen knives as well.

I have a Chef's Choice --> Chefs Choice Sharpener
Only used it once but made a big difference on my 40+ year old Chicago Cutlery knives.
Main reason I guess is because it changed the angle.
Had just been using the sharpening rod that came with the knives.
Replaced it once as it had worn down.

This is my sharpener a vari speed Rikon 1x30..... I run the blade in the gap between the platen and the wheel (400-600-800-1000), it gives it a ever so slight convex apple seed shape to the edge.... they are finished with the leather strops (green then white)....mirror polish level.
A826D5C0-A676-45E4-88E9-0E5FB1417730.jpeg

I also have this for when I want to do it by hand.......
smithstrihone.PNG

The one thing I will say about using a belt is one HAS TO be careful to NOT linger and heat the tip.....IE and dull belts are happy to do this to a knife tip at will!

Last edited:
My high end sharpener is an Edge Pro Professional kit. And I have a KO Worksharp. Each system has pros and cons, and each system has a learning curve. In my sharpening toolbox (which has taken decades to assemble) I have a set of DMT Diafold serrated knife Sharpening rods, a set of the Lansky Multi-Angle handheld sharpeners, a couple of carbide sharpeners and an assortment of files and smaller stones.

In between sharpening's, the best accessory I have are angle guides for my ceramic rod, and by using these it only takes 2 or 3 strokes.
RhtJXPZ.jpg

Reactions: noboundaries
I have ceramic sticks, Lansky and a Ken Onion Work Sharp.
With some work I can get a shaving razor sharp blade with the sticks and Lansky, but with the Work Sharp I can get a blade scary sharp like a scalpel in just a few minutes.

I'm interested in a kitchen countertop knife sharpener.
I have a Ken Onion work sharp that I just can't get the hang of. I'm left-handed which doesn't help. Feels super uncomfortable and I scratched up the sidesof old practice knives. I keep seeing this rolling sharpener on tiktok. Will have to link it later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky