So let's talk knife sharpening...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All of my knives are razor sharp. All I use are Diamond Machining Technology (DMT) diamond whetstone sharpening stones and water. Once they are sharp all they need is a steel every once in a while.

Blue (med) and red (fine) are all you need but I do have green (extra fine) too.

W6-z.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same one as enabler Steve H. has gee wonder how I ended up with that lol.
I also have the Work Sharp

Have had a worksharp for a long time, works great, but once I got my blades cleaned up it's rarely needed, a pass on the carbide rod cleans up the edges fine, I also taught myself to only let the tip of the blade to contact the cutting board, it takes a really sharp knife to work well though,

I've tired numerous methods, best was a plain stone and time to do it right. These days I have no patients. There is a local guy that sets up shop at both the Farmer's Summer & Winter markets to sharpen knives. He's a culinary chef by trade and contracts with restaurants to sharpen their cutlery. His work is very good, my knives come back scary sharp and they are done while I shop the market.

Long time ago when I worked in the meat department at Winn Dixie, they used a Norton Tri-Stone. The manager taught me how to use it and I've had my own for many years.
View attachment 678306
GS, A Norton plant was in my town for many years ,sadly gone today. I have many friends who have that sharpener. You could walk into their plant's dump and pick through the discarded stones. There were 100's of undamaged stones for the taking.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I mainly use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's basically a guided rod set up. I prefer it over the Ken Onion Work Sharp, ended up selling that. I also have the Spyderco Galley-V attached to the kitchen island.

When people say Work Sharp, are you talking the belted version or the guide rod version? I'm thinking of getting my son-in-law the guide rod version. It seems to take the hassel out of holding the correct angle while giving the benefit of stone sharpened knives.

Screenshot_20231013_103127_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I just purchased the Tumbler Knife Sharpener off of their website. Got it yesterday and tried it out on my J.A. Henckels Classics Knife Set. They are ping sharp now. Easy to use and it does what it advertises.
Screenshot_20231014_100608_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
I just purchased the Tumbler Knife Sharpener off of their website. Got it yesterday and tried it out on my J.A. Henckels Classics Knife Set. They are ping sharp now. Easy to use and it does what it advertises.View attachment 678484
I just watched a video on the rolling knife sharpener. THAT'S BRILLIANT!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky