Extra, Extra, Read all about it. Winners announced for the Soups, Stews and Chili Throw-down.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Yessiree Bob, Let me start by saying I'm in total awe with the quality and amount of entries we received for this throw-down. A big congratulations goes out to all those who participated.

So without further ado. It is Roberts and my pleasure to present to you the winners of this months throw-down.

First up the Forum Poll:

Let's give a big SMF shout out to Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) for taking home the gold with his Hearty Italian Sausage & Pepper Soup. For Jeff's efforts he'll receive a $100.00 gift card from our fabulous sponsor Porters Road. A well deserved win Jeff, and please contact TulsaJeff TulsaJeff to claim your prize.

1709068553409.png

With just one vote separating first and second place in the forum polling. I'd like to congratulate Cortney aka civilsmoker civilsmoker . Civil's outstanding entry of Smoked Beef Chuck Bourbon Thyme Stew & Garlic Toast would be a real crowd pleaser on anyone's table. For coming in second place, Cortney will receive an $80.00 Amazon gift card from Robert ( tx smoker tx smoker ). Please contact Robert to claim your prize, and congratulations.

1709069351587.png

On to the Committee Voting:

I believe this is the closest committee voting we've had to date. Again separated by only one vote 75 to 74. I'd like to congratulate Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) for WOWing the judges on the committee. With his entry of Pizza soup in a homemade bread bowl Ryan will be taking home the enviable prize package from Certified Piedmontese Beef. This package consists of 4 10oz NY Strips, 1 80oz Boneless Striploin Roast, 1 32oz Tri Tip Roast, and 4 14oz Boneless Ribeyes. Congratulations Ryan on a job well done, and please get in contact with Robert to claim your prize.

1709070382973.png

Only to be outdone by one vote. Can I get a BIG hearty congratulations for @Culinary Otter(Sorry I don't know your name). Culinary's Tonkotsu Ramen with smoker-braised Pork Chashu and Shoyu Tare
Topped with an ajitama egg, fish cakes, scallions, Enoki mushrooms, pickled bamboo shoots, nori, and Sansho Pepper-Miso chili oil
. Unfortunately there isn't a prize for second place for this most deserving dish. Congratulations again Culinary Otter.

1709071138687.png

Judges choice:

I'm sure someone is going to be extremely happy winning this next prize. I know I would be. Our very own civilsmoker civilsmoker spent an outlandish amount of hours handcrafting a magnificent knife for our throw-down. This 11.75" custom kitchen slicer has a 6.75" AEB-L mirror polished 61 HRC tested blade. AEB-L stainless steel is known for its corrosion resistance, hardness, ease of sharpness, and edge retention properties. It features stabilized figured black walnut scales with stainless steel and copper pins. It has a figured hickory wood sheath with copper pins and a black leather retaining strap, and I'll be announcing the winner of the judges choice next week.

1709071637996.png

Just kidding. The winner of the judges choice is none other than Buckeyedude Buckeyedude (again sorry I don't know your real name). BED won this beautiful knife with his entry of Smoked oxtail soup, with Piedmontese stew beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and sweet corn. I have to agree with the judge on this one. My mouth was salivating when I first saw it. Enjoy that knife and congratulations on winning.
1709073823744.png

In closing I'd like to thank Robert for his time and effort in organizing these throw-downs, and for his continued prize giving generosity. I'd also like to thank the unsung throw-down committee judges, the judge for the judges choice award, CPB and Porters Road. For without any of you these throw-downs wouldn't be as successful and fun as they are. I'd also like to thank Jeff and the SMF staff for hosting and running one of the best sites on the web. Finally a big thank you goes out to all of the SMF members who took the time to help us out by voting in the forum poll.

Chris

One last comment I'd like to make. For those of you lucky/skilled enough to win. Could you please post a thread on how you used your winnings. We'd all like to live vicariously thru your threads.

Congratulations to all the winners!

There isn't one dish there that I wouldn't inhale in a heartbeat!

Reactions: jcam222
I have to say I've won a contest here and there for my food but this is likely the one I'm the most proud of. The level of creativity , skillful execution and presentation for the entries in this throwdown was off the charts. Thanks to SMF , Robert , Chris , the judges and generous sponsors for keeping the throwdowns going. I'll post my general recipe for my entry in the next day or two. It's simple but very tasty. Congrats to the winners and to every single person who entered , you all nailed it. I'll most definitely post up something I do with th Porter Road winnings too! Couple things there have my eye.

Just want to say thank you to the judges and also to all that voted. And congratulations to all that won a prize and everyone that entered! This was one of the funnest ones I've entered... just for the fact I did something I've never done or made before.

Ryan

I have to say I've won a contest here and there for my food but this is likely the one I'm the most proud of. The level of creativity , skillful execution and presentation for the entries in this throwdown was off the charts. Thanks to SMF , Robert , Chris , the judges and generous sponsors for keeping the throwdowns going. I'll post my general recipe for my entry in the next day or two. It's simple but very tasty. Congrats to the winners and to every single person who entered , you all nailed it. I'll most definitely post up something I do with th Porter Road winnings too! Couple things there have my eye.
Very well done Jeff! That was a well put together bowl! Oh and Porter Road will treat you right!
Just want to say thank you to the judges and also to all that voted. And congratulations to all that won a prize and everyone that entered! This was one of the funnest ones I've entered... just for the fact I did something I've never done or made before.

Ryan
Congrats Ryan on a job well done! I happen to have a CPB whole strip loin thawing I. The fridge right now…….if I can remember to take a pic I will give you a glimpse of what’s coming your way!

Hoofta! One vote. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't sting a bit. Oh well for my first attempt I'll take the honorable mention.

Congrats Brokenhandle Brokenhandle !

-CO
Well done CO! Those eggs were legit!!!

Buckeyedude Buckeyedude congrats and I wish I could taste your entry! Send me a PM

Finally well done to everyone that participated this was and excellent TD!

Ryan

All the entries were very good, but you had me with the outside the box thinking with pizza soup, I hope you post your how to and with a cut or spoon shot if you took some .

David

Hoofta! One vote. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't sting a bit. Oh well for my first attempt I'll take the honorable mention.

Congrats Brokenhandle Brokenhandle !

-CO
I think that one noodle behind the egg did you in CO. Seriously this one could have gone either way.

1709126496313.png

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky