PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED, AN EXPERIMENT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yeah, that's the best way to do it. The main thing I have found with SV, is sort of like what you did up there. There is no harm in leaving it in for longer, and even much longer than recommended. The temp will never rise above what you have the bath set to, so it will keep the IT for a long time, but if you only do the min time needed, you may not quite have gotten the right temp should the piece of meat you have be different than the ones Anova used to make the recipes.

For example I do my "hard boiled" eggs in the sous vide, because I like to get a perfect 165 degree yolk. The anova app says 45 mins, but every time I have done that, the smaller eggs are perfect and the larger eggs are 50-50, some with perfect, and some too soft. Now I just leave them in an hour and they are all perfect.
Thanks Man!

I have found exactly what you are saying. It seems like every time something doesn't come out the way we want it.

It's usually because it needed to be in the water longer.

So lately I just check the food & if needed reseal the bag & let it go longer.

Al

Thank you sooo much for this post.  I do Prime rib every year for christmas and it can be a pain to have it ready in time but not so early it cools off.  I usually smoke it then sear it under the broiler for 5 minutes.  I can not wait to try this!  I can do all the work the day before and just leave it running all night and it will be ready for when ever the wife says its time!

Thank you sooo much for this post.  I do Prime rib every year for christmas and it can be a pain to have it ready in time but not so early it cools off.  I usually smoke it then sear it under the broiler for 5 minutes.  I can not wait to try this!  I can do all the work the day before and just leave it running all night and it will be ready for when ever the wife says its time!
I'm glad I could help.

It sounds like a perfect solution for you.

Plus your gonna love the flavor & tenderness of the PR!

Al

I am hoping on that as well.  It seems like the best prime rib around here is soooo tender but has no flavor or lots of flavor and is tougher.  It sounds like I might be aboe to smoke it for 2 hours or so with some rub on it and give it some flavor then get it tender with the sous.

I am hoping on that as well.  It seems like the best prime rib around here is soooo tender but has no flavor or lots of flavor and is tougher.  It sounds like I might be aboe to smoke it for 2 hours or so with some rub on it and give it some flavor then get it tender with the sous.
Let us know how it turns out!

Al

I have a Nomiku Gen 1 Sous Vide (looks like a cartoon cross between a plastic flower and a marital aid LOL).  Have had some success using it, but have never really knocked it out of the park.  I haven't done more than really basic type cooking with it.  Holds temp within one degree F beautifully.  The meat tends to cook well, but flavors and spices etc don't seem to penetrate the meat and they don't stand up to the long cook times at 130 F.  Everything is bland on the inside even if the outside is great.  Not a big deal for thin cuts, but for thick cuts and roasts it is a letdown.

Turned some brisket and a cut up boneless chuck into pretty good eats, but I haven't tried any smoking in combination with sous vide mainly due to the amount of work it takes.  Thinking about trying it now that I have a more convenient means to smoke.  I will have to see if I can locate the propane canister for my torch... 

I do the exact same thing every Christmas at the in-laws and it is a pain. I am very excited to try this out because like you mentioned everything can be done the day before! Thanks Al for sharing! 

I have a Nomiku Gen 1 Sous Vide (looks like a cartoon cross between a plastic flower and a marital aid LOL).  Have had some success using it, but have never really knocked it out of the park.  I haven't done more than really basic type cooking with it.  Holds temp within one degree F beautifully.  The meat tends to cook well, but flavors and spices etc don't seem to penetrate the meat and they don't stand up to the long cook times at 130 F.  Everything is bland on the inside even if the outside is great.  Not a big deal for thin cuts, but for thick cuts and roasts it is a letdown.

Turned some brisket and a cut up boneless chuck into pretty good eats, but I haven't tried any smoking in combination with sous vide mainly due to the amount of work it takes.  Thinking about trying it now that I have a more convenient means to smoke.  I will have to see if I can locate the propane canister for my torch... 
It takes some time to get used to using the SV, and I have had some failures as well.

However the Prime Rib wasn't one of them.

I have had good success with the flavors penetrating the meat.

Are you vacuum packing the meat?

Al

I do the exact same thing every Christmas at the in-laws and it is a pain. I am very excited to try this out because like you mentioned everything can be done the day before! Thanks Al for sharing! 
Your very welcome!

Al

It takes some time to get used to using the SV, and I have had some failures as well.

However the Prime Rib wasn't one of them.

I have had good success with the flavors penetrating the meat.

Are you vacuum packing the meat?

Al

Your very welcome!

Al
I have an inexpensive Ziploc vacuum sealer.  It does a poor job of vacuum sealing anything that has juices that foul up the ability of the heat bar to work.  It is a weak unit truly.

I always wanted to try and cook some Prime Rib, but it is so expensive and I was always worried that I would overcook and ruin it.  Seems like you found a perfect way to cook it, while getting a nice smokey flavor as well.  Perfect combination of smoking and cooking.  

Thanks so much for the post Al, you did a wonderful job, and give me motivation to try this myself one day!

I always wanted to try and cook some Prime Rib, but it is so expensive and I was always worried that I would overcook and ruin it.  Seems like you found a perfect way to cook it, while getting a nice smokey flavor as well.  Perfect combination of smoking and cooking.  

Thanks so much for the post Al, you did a wonderful job, and give me motivation to try this myself one day!
Thanks!

I have a feeling there will be a video coming out soon!

BTW, I always wait until they go on sale around the holidays then buy a few for the freezer.

As a matter of fact I have one thawing out now for Sunday!

Al

Al, I am planning to use your PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED step-by-step method for Christmas. Just few questions...

Since you posted, do you have any new suggestions, corrections or ideas?
Any reason I couldn't use my MES30 with my PID for smoking?
I assume you smoke at a temp of 210 degrees, to allow max time in smoke?
What kind of tip is on your torch? just the regular one that came with it?

I sure appreciate all you recipes. David

This is one great looking PR! "Like" for sure! I started using SV cooking approximately 1 and a half years ago and loved it. Since then all my stakes cooked with this method and never been happier with the result....

So I never followed my posts up. This year will try to actually get photos of the process, but last years was amazing!

So here is a short write up of what I did. I started out with a 10lb boneless prime rib. Trimmed it down a bunch. Rubbed it down with a very light mustard coating then sprinkled on my home made rub, wrapped and into the fridge overnight.

Put it in the MES30 set at 175 for 4 hours till the IT was 127. Smoke was mostly hickory with a little mesquite mixed in. Using a amnps.

Then into the vacuum bag with 4 pads of butter and into my modded cooler with the sous vide set to 132 for 36 hours.

I can only hope this years is as good as last years!

Al, I am planning to use your PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED step-by-step method for Christmas. Just few questions...

Since you posted, do you have any new suggestions, corrections or ideas?
Any reason I couldn't use my MES30 with my PID for smoking?
I assume you smoke at a temp of 210 degrees, to allow max time in smoke?
What kind of tip is on your torch? just the regular one that came with it?

I sure appreciate all you recipes. David

I wouldn't change a thing David, and I don't see why your MES wouldn't do just fine. Yes I wanted to keep it in the smoke as long as possible without cooking it too much, so I thought 210 would work well. And yes it's just the tip that came with the torch. There is an attachment that you can buy called a Searzall & I think it would do a better job than the regular torch head, but this worked just fine. Good luck & make sure you take some photo's.
Al

8DDE215D-5CB9-43CF-9F5A-BC9A6EA9CC54.png

I was with the Searzall Torch Attachment until I saw the $75nprice tag. This will be my first experiment fixing a PR with the Smoke-Sous Vide-Sear method. So, I think I'll utilize my oven broiler and rotate the meat to get the outside sear and see how it all works. But thanks for the info. Someday it might be feesable to buy aSearzall. David

Just got done cooking a Prime Rib using this method, with a few modifications. I finished it in the oven with the convention broil, and it came out great! I made a video of the whole process.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky