PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED, AN EXPERIMENT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK probably the wrong forum, but....... Started looking for this years roast but the prices seem to be insane here. 1 place quoted me at $21.99 a pound. The last few years I have gotten them for $10 a pound and though it was crazy high.

So onto my questions! Anyone have any places that sell online and ship that have decent pricing? I usually get a 10-12 pound boneless roast. All help would be appreciated!

They usually go on sale this time of year, here in Florida Publix usually sells them for $7.99 lb., but I've seen them as low as $5.99.
You may also look at Sam's or Costco's.
Al

OK probably the wrong forum, but....... Started looking for this years roast but the prices seem to be insane here. 1 place quoted me at $21.99 a pound. The last few years I have gotten them for $10 a pound and though it was crazy high.

So onto my questions! Anyone have any places that sell online and ship that have decent pricing? I usually get a 10-12 pound boneless roast. All help would be appreciated!

Like Al said, usually the best time to get good prices on Prime Rib (Standing Rib), is during the Holidays (Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving), with Christmas being the best one. I get mine from Giant & Weis food stores.
I know if you want it for this Christmas, it may be a little late, because the best prices are usually during Christmas week itself. I buy mine whenever they are on sale ($5.99 to $7.99), and Vac-pack them & keep them in my freezer up to at least 2 years. I usually have between 3 and 8 in my freezer (5 & 6 pounders), but I'm down to my last one right now, so I've been watching closely.

Bear

Unfortunately my freezer is stuffed right now, just got my pig and 1/2 cow packed away. But will start looking before Christmas for deals and throw them into my in-laws deep freeze till mine empties out a little.

I've purchased about 15 pounds of prime rib from Publix in Florida over the past 2 weeks. It's been on sale for $6.99/lb.

I will buy mine on Wed. after I see the ad for Thurs., sometimes they drop the price down another dollar for x-mas week if they haven't sold enough of them. So I'll just wait & see!
Al

I will buy mine on Wed. after I see the ad for Thurs., sometimes they drop the price down another dollar for x-mas week if they haven't sold enough of them. So I'll just wait & see!
Al
I just picked up a 22lb. whole seven bone roast at Kroger @ $6.99/lb. and recall the roasts may drop another $1.00/lb. Xmas week. I think they'll credit/refund you the difference with your receipt if they do extended sales at different prices. I didn't want to miss the sale for the yearly steak cutting purchase. I like to get the roast intact not cradled to I can cut the bones off for Dino ribs like Bearcarver does, leaving an inch of the eye on the ribs. So I have a three bone slab and four bone slab. The eye steak between ribs 9-10 gets cooked that day and I remove the cap from the eye on both smaller roasts. I cut the eye meat thicker since I stole some of it for rib meat into Filet shaped bigger steaks. I fuss with this way of processing because I'm not crazy about the chunks of Intermuscular fat that piles up on the plate when eating it and now it's on the outside of each steak I can trim before cooking and remove the silver skin from the cap so it doesn't cup when seared.

I wish. cheapest I found here so far is 10.99 a pound... gunna looks more this weekend.

We ended up getting a Prime Rib at Weis for $4.99 "Select", with 100 points.
WE were only allowed one, soooooo we got one that was 19.6 pounds, and I cut it in 4 pieces for me & my Honey!!
I should be set for the year now!

Bear

My local market has it on sale for $4.99 a pound as well, hardest part is decided on how big a piece I want. Last one was 8 pounds and I had to get the expandable food saver bags, as it wouldn't fit in a regular bag. Looking forward to another smoked prime rib for Christmas this year! Merry Christmas everyone!

The sale down here is thru Christmas, so I'll pick mine up Fri or Sat!
$6.99 isn't bad, but I was hoping for $5.99. They also have organic Angus for $9.99, I may just go that route. We'll see!
Al

Kroger extended last weeks choice bone in rib roasts but kept the same price @ $6.99/lb. I was hoping for $5.99/.lb as well. Since the whole cryovaced roast I picked up isn't for the holiday and we have one at my parents I think I'll not mess with turning it into steaks and vac sealing till after New Year's. I always get the packaging date on whole roasts so I can wet age awhile and not worry about getting right to it. This one was packaged 11.27.18 so it'll get frozen in <40 days. Hopefully it'll help with tenderness. The last cryovaced choice packer brisket wet aged 27 days and was very tender.

Ok so it's time!!!!

Picked mine up this morning. Looks good but I wish it had a little better marbling. I forgot to take a pick before I trimmed but here is what I have.

After trimming:
IMG_3213.JPG IMG_3214.JPG

Tied up! Finally took the time to google how to tie a butchers knot! lol
IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3216.JPG

Rubbed with my super secrete base rub! (salt, black and red pepper, garlic powder, paprika, white and brown sugar, cumin)
IMG_3217.JPG

Wrapped and ready to go back in the fridge for 24 hours.
IMG_3218.JPG

I had a couple of PR's in the freezer & have been wanting to SV one.

But I wanted to get a smokey flavor & a crust on the outside.

I also wanted to have it be fork tender.

Well this experiment was a success.

I started with a 2 bone Angus Choice PR cut from the chuck end.

Here we go:

I coated the roast with A-1, and dusted it with Montreal steak seasoning.

Wrapped it up in plastic wrap for an overnight trip to the fridge.

I am using the WSM for this smoke because I have some errands to run, and want to get a swim in while the PR is smoking.

Put about 12 briquettes in the chimney.

Then onto the side burner on the gas grill to get them started.

I put a couple of splits in the WSM with some lump down the middle.

I have lava rock in my water pan, with no water in it for today.

I put the hot coals on one end & want to run the smoker at a pretty low temp, around 210.

I have the roast in a pan with onion, garlic, & French onion soup.

The roast is just sitting on the bones.

I'm using my BBQ Guru to control the pit temp, & my Fireboard to double check the pit temp & monitor the meat temp.

Here I am at the pool, ready to swim some laps & catch a few rays.

I have my phone with me to monitor the pit & meat temps.

Swim is all done, just hanging out now. Judy is out there exercising with her friends.

OK it took about 3 1/2 hours to get the IT to 120.

I put the PR in a vac bag with all the pan veggies & juice, and vacuumed it up.

Into the SV set at 131 for 24 hours. This is where the experiment comes into play.

After reading several different recipes, they all recommended between 5-10 hours cook time.

I wanted to see if I left it in longer, if it would just melt in your mouth.

24 hours later, it's ready to come out of the bag.

I knew when I picked it up it was going to be very tender.

We dumped all the stuff out of the bag into a pot.

Then boiled it down a little & added some red wine.

Strained it.

Back into the pot with a pat of butter.

Next step is to put a crust on the roast.

I've tried a CI pan & a hot grill before & wanted to try a propane torch this time.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it. I got a much better result, i.e. crispy fat & blackened flavor.

Without further cooking the meat at all.

I already took 1 slice & 1 bone off the board for my plate, but you can see every piece is cooked the same.

Got a bone, a nice slice & some Au Jus with a couple of onion rings for dinner.

Neither Judy or I used a knife to cut any piece of this meat. It cut easily with a fork.

I know that there are some of you guys who are a little skeptical about SV.

And I have to admit that everything I have used it for hasn't always come out as expected.

However this is the best PR Judy or I have ever eaten. I think this is just a learning experience just like learning how to smoke was.

The book said 5-10 hours & sear it & eat it.

I smoked it for 3+ hours, SV'd it for 24 hours, & put a crust on it with a blow torch.

A lot of my experiments don't turn out very well, but I really killed it with this one!

Al

Al, I followed your method very closely and my PR was wonderful! Thanks

Prime Rib -- smoked - Sous Vide-charred II .jpg

My Christmas dinner guests sure dug in gleefully.

I prepped the roast by seperating the rib rack, slathered on A1 and Montreal seasoning. Retied the roast with the bones and plastic wrapped ato refrigerate overnight. I smoked on Sunday and it took about 31/2 hours at 115F. I pulled at 120 degrees IT. However, the IT did climb to 135 degrees after bringing it in. I rewapped and refrigerated.

Christmas Eve morning (2 am) I set sous vide at 132F. I added the liquid, veggies and salt and pepper into vac sealed bag along with the meat. Not really sure why I actually needed to vac seal but did anyway. Bag with everything in about 2:30 am and left until 2:00 pm. Pulled it out, opened the bag pouring liquid and veggies into a sieve and pot. The roast went into a reg zip-lock bag and back in the sous vide water.

I ajusted the seasonings of the juice, added red wine to reduce until serving. I did add a touch of Kitchen Bouqet to make darker and a heaping teaspoon of beef base. At 3:30 the roast went on a very hot gas grill to brown and form a crust. Turned out the grill was too hot and the flames were too high making turning to brown difficult and got I more crust than intended. Untied and set ribs aside and sliced enough for table onto a hot platter. Ole! Thanks AL

Ok so it's time!!!!

Picked mine up this morning. Looks good but I wish it had a little better marbling. I forgot to take a pick before I trimmed but here is what I have.

After trimming:
View attachment 383177 View attachment 383178

Tied up! Finally took the time to google how to tie a butchers knot! lol
View attachment 383179 View attachment 383180

Rubbed with my super secrete base rub! (salt, black and red pepper, garlic powder, paprika, white and brown sugar, cumin)
View attachment 383181

Wrapped and ready to go back in the fridge for 24 hours.
View attachment 383182

That is a good looking roast!
How did it turn out?
Al

Al, I followed your method very closely and my PR was wonderful! Thanks

View attachment 383721

My Christmas dinner guests sure dug in gleefully.

I prepped the roast by seperating the rib rack, slathered on A1 and Montreal seasoning. Retied the roast with the bones and plastic wrapped ato refrigerate overnight. I smoked on Sunday and it took about 31/2 hours at 115F. I pulled at 120 degrees IT. However, the IT did climb to 135 degrees after bringing it in. I rewapped and refrigerated.

Christmas Eve morning (2 am) I set sous vide at 132F. I added the liquid, veggies and salt and pepper into vac sealed bag along with the meat. Not really sure why I actually needed to vac seal but did anyway. Bag with everything in about 2:30 am and left until 2:00 pm. Pulled it out, opened the bag pouring liquid and veggies into a sieve and pot. The roast went into a reg zip-lock bag and back in the sous vide water.

I ajusted the seasonings of the juice, added red wine to reduce until serving. I did add a touch of Kitchen Bouqet to make darker and a heaping teaspoon of beef base. At 3:30 the roast went on a very hot gas grill to brown and form a crust. Turned out the grill was too hot and the flames were too high making turning to brown difficult and got I more crust than intended. Untied and set ribs aside and sliced enough for table onto a hot platter. Ole! Thanks AL

That is awesome, I'm so glad to hear that it turned out so well!
It looks delicious!!!
Very nicely done!!
As a side note I recently purchased a Searzall for my torch, & used that on our PR this Christmas.
They are a little pricey, but they put a beautiful crust on the meat without cooking the inside at all.
Al

As a side note I recently purchased a Searzall for my torch, & used that on our PR this Christmas.
They are a little pricey, but they put a beautiful crust on the meat without cooking the inside at all.
Al

Was hoping there would be one under the tree, but I'll have to fill my own Christmas wish. Glad to hear it works good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky