PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED, AN EXPERIMENT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Al. It was delicious, tender and very flavorful. Best ever!!

What I learned:
Sous Vide is fantastic!! So easy and so effective!
Adding seasoned juice to the sousing bag adds a lot of flavor to the meat
Meat juices stayed in the meat! Surprised how little came out when slicing. No wonder it was so juicy!!
Splitting workload into stages seemed to have little effect to the end product. Day one – seasoned/refrigerated. Day two – smoking. Day three – sous vide. Day four – end of cooking, charring and serving

What I would do different:
Increase the sous vide time. I thought Al’s 24 hours at 131 degrees would be too long so I went 12 hours. While the PR was really tender, it did require a table knife. 18hr?
I can’t justify $75 for a Searzall but would go the gas grill again. However, learned should have positioned the roast on one side and then rolled across the grates as it seared. The flame up is pretty intense so the meat needs to be moved over to a fresh surface repeatedly.

Prime Rib -- smoked - Sous Vide-charred IVI 375 .jpg

So I decided to go at 135F this time to test it out. Everyone loved it but I could tell that 131-132 it much better.

At 132F for 36 hours after smoking for 4 hours the roast was just over medium rare and super tender.

This year at 135F after 36 hours after smoking for 4 hours was over medium well. It was crazy tender..... Fork cutting tender, but although very jury once eaten seemed a little dry. I think this was because it was so tender. Again everyone loved it.... Mater fact some people liked it better then last year, but for me it was too done.

Seems crazy for just a few degrees difference!

And I am getting a searzall for my birthday in april!

Here it is out of the smoker. Im an idiot and forgot to get pics out of the water bath and after cut.

IMG_3220.JPG

Reactions: SmokinAl
So I decided to go at 135F this time to test it out. Everyone loved it but I could tell that 131-132 it much better.

At 132F for 36 hours after smoking for 4 hours the roast was just over medium rare and super tender.

This year at 135F after 36 hours after smoking for 4 hours was over medium well. It was crazy tender..... Fork cutting tender, but although very jury once eaten seemed a little dry. I think this was because it was so tender. Again everyone loved it.... Mater fact some people liked it better then last year, but for me it was too done.

Seems crazy for just a few degrees difference!

And I am getting a searzall for my birthday in april!

Here it is out of the smoker. Im an idiot and forgot to get pics out of the water bath and after cut.

View attachment 383824

It sure looks good coming out of the smoker!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky