Prime rib experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
Had a 3 bone rib roast and a 2 bone. Wanted to try something a little different than I normally do.
I did my normal 36ish hour dry brine then seasoned it before putting them on

PXL_20231225_171548863.MP.jpg

I have never ran my Pecos under 250. It likes it there so that's what I normally do. So my experiment was that I heard an interview once where they said a little dirty smoke in the beginning on a big piece of meat isn't a bad thing. So I wanted to try running the Pecos at 200 and a little dirty smoke for the first hour. After the first hour I brought it up to 250 where it stayed for the rest of the cook.
A few hours in
PXL_20231225_200321479.MP.jpg

After a few more hours it came up to 115 IT so I pulled to let them rest a little while. I threw in a few more logs to get a good firewhen the fire was ready I put them on for a sear.
PXL_20231225_231517603.jpg

After the sear and final rest.
PXL_20231225_231517603.jpg

PXL_20231225_232749604.MP.jpg
PXL_20231225_233543169.jpg

I think the first hour and a little dirty smoke brought a lot of nice smoky flavor. Will definitely do it again
Thanks for staying with the long read

Man that's done exactly how I like it!! I agree with the heavier smoke on the bigger pieces of meat not being an issue for awhile.

Reactions: Newglide
Looks good to me, but not how my wife will eat it, not even the crusty cooked through ends.

I'd hardly call that "well done". just saying
If you're gonna cook prime rib to well done no use cooking prime rib at all. That is a perfectly cooked prime rib!

Ryan

Reactions: Newglide
Experiment looks like complete success, nice work.
Thanks
Looks really good
Turned out better than I thought it would
Tasty lookin' food there. Well done!!!
Thanks
I would call that a success! Wouldn’t mind a slab of it.
Only thing left were the rib bones.
Looks great!!
Thanks
Now that's a fine looking meal and a successful cook!
Thanks
I love it when a plan comes together! Nice job!
Same here, I've had many fall appart and have to shift at the last minute
Yeah that looks Mighty good!! Great job and a great looking Meal!!
Thanks
I agree with the heavier smoke on the bigger pieces of meat not being an issue for awhile.
I'm sold on a little heavier smoke on bigger pieces of beef
Damn sure looks good to me man!
Thanks Spook
I would do some sketchy ass shit for some of that!
Thanks
Looks very nice. A good spread of food there too.
Thanks
I'd hardly call that "well done". just saying
I have a few who don't care for it pink at all so had to get a little more done than I prefer on a few slices

Had a 3 bone rib roast and a 2 bone. Wanted to try something a little different than I normally do.
I did my normal 36ish hour dry brine then seasoned it before putting them on

View attachment 684368

I have never ran my Pecos under 250. It likes it there so that's what I normally do. So my experiment was that I heard an interview once where they said a little dirty smoke in the beginning on a big piece of meat isn't a bad thing. So I wanted to try running the Pecos at 200 and a little dirty smoke for the first hour. After the first hour I brought it up to 250 where it stayed for the rest of the cook.
A few hours inView attachment 684369
After a few more hours it came up to 115 IT so I pulled to let them rest a little while. I threw in a few more logs to get a good firewhen the fire was ready I put them on for a sear. View attachment 684372
After the sear and final rest.
View attachment 684372
View attachment 684374View attachment 684375

I think the first hour and a little dirty smoke brought a lot of nice smoky flavor. Will definitely do it again
Thanks for staying with the long read
Viola...... looks very good....

At $6.99 per pound prime rib is less money than many cuts. I even used a piece in the beef barley soup I made on Christmas Day. Shank is about the same price.
Maybe I should buy you a cooler or two if you can buy it for that price and have you deliver on your way back home!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky