PRIME RIB, SMOKED, SOUS VIDE, & TORCHED, AN EXPERIMENT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
al that is awesome!!! I believe I have a 5 pound pr in my freezer. Gonna be trying this for sure!

Well then now I have to go buy a chunk of prime for my next days off did the meat still have that smoked flavor after the sous vide cook?

Beautiful results. I've had my Anovas for almost 3 years now, and have never tried a prime rib. This encourages me a lot to try it
Thank you!

I was a little skeptical at first too, but I'm glad I did it!

Al

Beautiful hunk of meat, Al! You've convinced me that with all the overtime I've put in lately, I deserve some prime rib!
I agree that torching for the sear is the way to go. Using a hot cast iron just dirties up another pan and the last time I did it I set off the smoke alarm! Since then I've used a torch.

Point! for teasing us northerners about the pool time...

Dan

Brilliant technique, experiment and result! Point, Al!

Disco
Thank you so much Disco!

Al
Beautiful hunk of meat, Al! You've convinced me that with all the overtime I've put in lately, I deserve some prime rib!
I agree that torching for the sear is the way to go. Using a hot cast iron just dirties up another pan and the last time I did it I set off the smoke alarm! Since then I've used a torch.

Point! for teasing us northerners about the pool time...

Dan
Thanks Dan!

You guys ought to be getting some good weather up there soon.

It's sure been a crazy winter down here, mostly like spring & summer, with a couple of cool days thrown in.

Al

Simply fantastic Al! Your success has tempted me to do this exactly with some of the dry aging ribeye I have going.

WOW Al!
That looks insane! I just have to say that, something I never tried before, and you literally blew my mind, is to use the side burner of my grill to start my charcoal! How have I not thought of that or seen it before?!

Anyway, I do love SV, and I've been doing it for years, im glad to see it as part of this forum, cause you can seriously turn out amazing stuff. The best ribs I've personally cooked were done SV. Still haven't done that many other BBQ meats though. I wonder if/how a fatty would work...?

WOW Al!
That looks insane! I just have to say that, something I never tried before, and you literally blew my mind, is to use the side burner of my grill to start my charcoal! How have I not thought of that or seen it before?!

Anyway, I do love SV, and I've been doing it for years, im glad to see it as part of this forum, cause you can seriously turn out amazing stuff. The best ribs I've personally cooked were done SV. Still haven't done that many other BBQ meats though. I wonder if/how a fatty would work...?
Thank you so much!

I have been experimenting with all sorts of stuff in the SV, some turn out awesome & some not so good.

The main thing I have found is the time & temp is all over the place.

So it's like an experiment every time you SV something.

I am keeping good notes like I did when I started smoking, but SV is definitely a learning experience.

Al

Thank you so much!

I have been experimenting with all sorts of stuff in the SV, some turn out awesome & some not so good.

The main thing I have found is the time & temp is all over the place.

So it's like an experiment every time you SV something.

I am keeping good notes like I did when I started smoking, but SV is definitely a learning experience.

Al
Yeah, that's the best way to do it. The main thing I have found with SV, is sort of like what you did up there. There is no harm in leaving it in for longer, and even much longer than recommended. The temp will never rise above what you have the bath set to, so it will keep the IT for a long time, but if you only do the min time needed, you may not quite have gotten the right temp should the piece of meat you have be different than the ones Anova used to make the recipes.

For example I do my "hard boiled" eggs in the sous vide, because I like to get a perfect 165 degree yolk. The anova app says 45 mins, but every time I have done that, the smaller eggs are perfect and the larger eggs are 50-50, some with perfect, and some too soft. Now I just leave them in an hour and they are all perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky