• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice job Chris!! Pork shots are always a big hit at our house too.
And yep. You can add me to the growing list of "only kind of shots I do for the last few years".
Gary

Thanks Gary for the kind words appreciate them.

I had not heard of anything like this before. I am starting some snack sticks tomorrow, but I'm going to have to give this a shot in the next few weeks.

Thanks bertman, good luck on the snack sticks. I haven't gotten into the jerky, sticks, sausage aspect of smoking, but am planning on it in the very near future. Let us know if you try the shots out.

Chris, nice post on the makings of a pork shot,they look great ! like

Thanks for kind words and like crazymoon, They are always a party favorite.

Chris

Ordering my Kettle this week hopefully. Cant wait to give some of your "fried" recipes a try.

Geebs, you should also look into the Vortex for the Kettle. You achieve extremely high heat with it. Wings and oil-less fried food become a snap to make with it.

Great little treats Chris, just now ran across this post. I'd be popping those in my mouth until I was sick, really clever little combination!!! I'll have to give it a go.....

Thanks troutman, they're very addicting. They may look small, but are very filling.

meatallica, mcokevin and rings thanks for the like appreciate it. I hope I haven't missed anyone. If I did I truly apologize.

Chris

Last edited:
Since summer is almost upon us - the outdoor parties can't be to far behind. This is an appetizer that is always a huge hit at our parties. The pork shot is a little bundle of goodness that is very simple to make and smokes up quickly. This thread will hopefully get you through the basics of making them. Lets get the party started.

First the gotta start the fire:
View attachment 366872

Thin blue smoke:View attachment 366873

Ok seriously...the mixings. Kosher salt, garlic and onion powder, ground pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, smoked sharp cheddar, kielbasa, dark brown suger and bacon.
View attachment 366864

Slice the kielbasa up into half inch or so slices.
View attachment 366865
Cube the cheese small enough to fit in the shots.View attachment 366866

Slice the bacon to fit one revolution around the kielbasa. I got lucky this time as slicing it in half fit perfectly.
View attachment 366867
Roll them up and insert a toothpick to keep the bacon from unwinding. Note to self: make sure you have enough toothpicks before starting.
View attachment 366868

Drop in a few cubes of cheese:
View attachment 366869
And fill with your favorite rub mix. I listed my ingredients at the top of the page.
View attachment 366870

Since I'm only doing a few pork shots the Kettle with a side basket gets the call.
View attachment 366874
Indirect heat - Kettle is about 225 to 250* degrees with a chunk of apple. The two hot dogs are for skidmark. He loves smoked hotdogs.
View attachment 366876

Their almost done.
View attachment 366878
Plated and ready for the pallette:
View attachment 366879

Thanks for taking a peek hope you enjoyed. This is how my family likes them. Some people like cream cheese instead of cheddar, while other folks put hot peppers in them. It doesn't matter it's all good. Use your favorite rub mix. I've made these in small batches like this one or larger batches(100 to 150) for my childrens wedding receptions and haven't had any leftovers to take home. Give them a (pork)shot if you've never tried them.

Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Chris.
I never heard of these. They look and sound awesome.

Pork shots look awesome Chris. Sorry I'm late noticing them. You are killing it on the carousel lately!

Thanks SmokinVol for the kind words and like appreciate them.

I never heard of these. They look and sound awesome.

Thanks for the like and read daricksta, They've been around for quite awhile. I just figured I'd bring them back into the limelight with summer coming. BTW they taste even better then they look.

Chris

Reactions: daricksta
Thanks again for the like daricksta and thanks Richie for the like.

Chris

As I am sitting here chewing on some jerky I pulled out of the smoker this morning, I see this post... Now I feel covetous for your pork shots and forsake the jerky! What are you doing to me?!?! I have seen these done before, but now I think these have to make it to the short list! Fantastic!

Thanks browneyesvictim for the like and compliment. I wish you didn't say Jerky I'm still a Jerky making virgin and now I have to seriously get the old brain gears working.

Chris

Reactions: browneyesvictim
Sorry Metsfan, I can't say for sure. I think this one was about an hour and a half to two hours. I cook indirect until the bacon is where I want it. Everything I used was already cooked except the bacon. Since the bacon was the only variable I just waited until I got the desired crispness. If your using a higher heat just make sure that the bottom of the kielbasa doesn't burn. I also rotate the shots if I'm finding hot spots during my cook.

Chris

Sorry Metsfan, I can't say for sure. I think this one was about an hour and a half to two hours. I cook indirect until the bacon is where I want it. Everything I used was already cooked except the bacon. Since the bacon was the only variable I just waited until I got the desired crispness. If your using a higher heat just make sure that the bottom of the kielbasa doesn't burn. I also rotate the shots if I'm finding hot spots during my cook.

Chris
Thank you Chris. No problem just wondering an estimated time. Thanks.

Made these today.
OMG, these are great. I just put them in the Webber at 550 degrees and grilled them hot and fast. Made the bacon nice and crispy.
I just used a Webber pork rub from a jar and sprinkled it over the whole thing lightly after I set them on the grill.
Everyone loved them.
Definitely will be making these again. I am sure they will only get better as I figure out what sausage and cheese, seasoning I like best.

Oh wow, these look amazing! Definitely going to have to try them!

I hope you do Suam, they are good and don't usually last.

Made these today.
OMG, these are great. I just put them in the Webber at 550 degrees and grilled them hot and fast. Made the bacon nice and crispy.
I just used a Webber pork rub from a jar and sprinkled it over the whole thing lightly after I set them on the grill.
Everyone loved them.
Definitely will be making these again. I am sure they will only get better as I figure out what sausage and cheese, seasoning I like best.

Glad you like them. Like a fatty the stuffing idea's are endless.

Chris.

Poobah, The bacon is the only thing that isn't precooked. So it depends on what temp your smoking at and how crispy you want your bacon. I don't really watch the time or temp when doing pork shot's I go by how the bacon looks. Best guess this batch was about an hour and a half to two hours. Let us know if you try them and how they turn out.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky