1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Pork Shots

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gmc2003, Jun 10, 2018.

1. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Since summer is almost upon us - the outdoor parties can't be to far behind. This is an appetizer that is always a huge hit at our parties. The pork shot is a little bundle of goodness that is very simple to make and smokes up quickly. This thread will hopefully get you through the basics of making them. Lets get the party started.

First the gotta start the fire:
    DSC00671.JPG

Thin blue smoke: DSC00672.JPG

Ok seriously...the mixings. Kosher salt, garlic and onion powder, ground pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, smoked sharp cheddar, kielbasa, dark brown suger and bacon.
    DSC00663.JPG

Slice the kielbasa up into half inch or so slices.
    DSC00664.JPG
    Cube the cheese small enough to fit in the shots. DSC00665.JPG

Slice the bacon to fit one revolution around the kielbasa. I got lucky this time as slicing it in half fit perfectly.
    DSC00666.JPG
    Roll them up and insert a toothpick to keep the bacon from unwinding. Note to self: make sure you have enough toothpicks before starting.
    DSC00667.JPG

Drop in a few cubes of cheese:
    DSC00668.JPG
    And fill with your favorite rub mix. I listed my ingredients at the top of the page.
    DSC00669.JPG

Since I'm only doing a few pork shots the Kettle with a side basket gets the call.
    DSC00673.JPG
    Indirect heat - Kettle is about 225 to 250* degrees with a chunk of apple. The two hot dogs are for skidmark. He loves smoked hotdogs.
    DSC00675.JPG

Their almost done.
    DSC00677.JPG
    Plated and ready for the pallette:
    DSC00678.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek hope you enjoyed. This is how my family likes them. Some people like cream cheese instead of cheddar, while other folks put hot peppers in them. It doesn't matter it's all good. Use your favorite rub mix. I've made these in small batches like this one or larger batches(100 to 150) for my childrens wedding receptions and haven't had any leftovers to take home. Give them a (pork)shot if you've never tried them.

Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Chris.

Attached Files:

2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks great . One of my favorites .

3. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Oh Yeah!!!:)
    My Kinda "Shots"!!!
    Can't see the TBS on that Fire though---Might be a little too hot !!

Bear

4. Lookn4u

Lookn4u Fire Starter

Those look great, I'm going to try some tonight.

5. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

YEAP! That awesome! Thanks for sharing! I’m going to have to try them!

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Dang those look good Chris!
    I'm going to make them the next time we have a party, instead of ABT's.
    Might stick a chunk of jalapeno in with the cheese!
    Congrats on making the carousel!
    Al

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. dcecil

dcecil Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

The opening pics of this thread made me laugh my a$$ off. That was awesome. Food looks great. I’m definitely putting this on the menu

8. gmc2003

Thanks chowsaw it's one our favorites also.

My favorite kind of shot to. Haven't had a drop of liquor since the early eighties. Beers another story. It was hot one. I had to put the chairs back away's to enjoy it. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Go for it Lookn4u, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let us know how they turn out. Thanks for the read.

Chris

9. gmc2003

They've been around for a while and I've always been a fan of them. Thanks for the kind words and like - appreciate it.

Thanks for the nice words, like and ride Al. If you do drop a jalapeno in them make sure to use a different colored toothpick to identify which ones have the hot peppers and which ones don't.

Thanks dcecil, that's one of the benefits of living out in the boonies. We usually have three or four bon-fires a year. When I could stay up latter into the evening I had them at night. Now that's a real site. Unfortunately skidmark wakes me up at 3:00am every morning on the dot so my bedtime has gotten early. Thanks for the kindly words and let us know if you try them out.

Chris

10. Nice gotta try this

11. I see new things all the time that I can try to cook and I almost always say “why didn’t I think of that” XD. Well done they look incredible.

12. Smoke23

Smoke23 Smoking Fanatic

Ya, I’m gonna have to try these to.
    They look great!!

13. Ishi

Ishi Fire Starter

Great cook!!! They are on my to do list on July 4. Thanks for sharing.

14. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Yessir! Congrats on the carousel ride.

15. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those look awesome Chris!

16. GATOR240

GATOR240 Meat Mopper

Looks terrific, I will be putting that on my list.

17. millerbuilds

millerbuilds Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great! They are always a hit around our house. We have used brats, polish sausage, Italian's, and even summer sausage.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

18. gmc2003

Thanks for the read ACtech, give'm a try I'm pretty sure you'll like them.

Thanks for the like bassthumb, pork shots aren't all that new, but I know what you mean. Ton's of stuff being smoked on here that I've never seen or heard of before. I don't usually post the usual stuff unless I do something different or it's a first for me. I like to post things that don't get all the attention or stretch the boundaries of some piece of equipment I may have.

Thanks Smoke23 for the like appreciate it. They do taste good and are a big hit at parties. Let us know if you make them.

Chris

19. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Those look great! I haven't seen this done before.

Mike

20. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

Those look awesome Chris! I’m going to have to try these out sometime.