Former Member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Craig Wedgwood, aka https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/makin-bacon-in-the-panhandle-with-b-view.115073/
had a massive stroke on April 21. His initial prognosis was not good; be in a nursing home the rest of his life, would never walk again, etc. Fortunately, they were wrong. He got transferred to two different rehab hospitals, and the 2nd one is making great progress with him - he took his first unaided steps a couple days ago! He is due to return home in a few weeks. His wife Sissi has had a wheelchair ramp and a widened bathroom doorway put in place for him, ADA-Compliant, to cater to his needs.

Most will not remember him, he was a former member a few years ago. He has been my friend since 4th grade. He is a Vietnam Vet, also.

Before:

before ramp.jpg
ramp:
ramp.jpg
ramp3.jpg

porch:
p1.jpg
Enlarged bathroom door:
d1.jpg

opened:
d2.jpg

I'll keep this updated on his improvements! I originally stated he had the stroke May 21, it was April 21.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this, pops6927 pops6927 ! Glad to hear he's making some progress and we'll look forward to hearing the updates.

Sorry to hear he suffered a stroke, but glad he's making a recovery. Keep us updated.

Chris

I was just thinking about Craig a month or so ago... I ran across a few of his threads....
Thanks for the update on his condition and please keep us informed on what's happening..
Dave

Sissi reported today that Craig walked 30 ft. with aid of a handrail only! The pneumonia is still gone, and he is eating (puree'd) solid food, too!

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Pops... That's awesome news... We (Wife and I) have met him (and wife) and ate some of his great DO cooking... Craig and Sissi came to the S. Fl. Gathering one year... We had a great time with them ... Please tell them that they are in our prayers and we are wishing them the best... Sounds good so far... Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date...

Last edited:
Craig2.jpg
Craig.jpg

Craig in Therapy (see the big PT on the wall? Stands for primary Torture..... lol!). He is actually walking! There is a video, but it's in Mp4, non-displayable, but did a couple screen grabs of him walking! Stroke is on his right side; i.e. foot brace for drop foot, sling to contain his right arm, mouth droop on the right. But! It is far better than the help he was (NOT) getting at the previous hospital! His original diagnosis was he'd never walk again and never leave the nursing home/care facility. They are certainly improving his situation, and he's being treated for swallowing difficulty too (common in stroke survivors), re-learning how to strengthen the throat muscles.

Please tell him Mrs. Boatbum and I have him in our prayers.

Craig was one of my favorite members here when I first joined. Always friendly and helpful, and one heck of a cook!

I have sent this thread to Craig's wife, Sissi, for them to view together, and I am certainly positive they regard your best wishes as invaluable! Thank you so much!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky