Beef Bourguignon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
We home school our son and have been doing so since covid hit. We've found a great online school with a much better curriculum than he gets locally. We're fortunate enough that my wife can stay home and help him along with his school work. Anyways, part of his French language course, he was required to pick a French dish and make it. Tonight he choose Beef Bourguignon which is a favorite for everyone in the house. I only have a few limited pictures.

We use Greta and Janet Podleski's Stew-Pendous Beef Stew with a few small changes (we upped the Herbs de Provence, dropped the small sweet potato and added a second russet. Oh, we also added bacon). We prefer to cook this in an instapot since it cuts the time to 21 minutes.

-----------------------------------
Ingredients

2 pounds (908g) stewing beef (cut into 1 to 1½ inch cube 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2.5 teaspoons herbs de Provence
2 1/2 cups (.60 L) reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large thin-skinned potato (such as Yukon Gold), unpeeled, cut into ¾-inch pieces
1 large carrot, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 strips bacon

Directions

1. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle beef lightly all over with seasoned salt. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat. Add half the beef cubes and cook, turning occasionally, until all sides are lightly browned. Remove from pot and keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and beef cubes. Set browned beef aside.

2. Add onions, celery, and garlic to same pot (you may add a bit more olive oil or ¼ cup beef broth to pot if necessary to prevent sticking). Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Return beef cubes to pot and stir in herbs de Provence. Add beef broth, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, 15 minutes. (Make sure it is a low simmer and that mixture is not boiling or it will burn.)

3. Stir in white potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer for 25 more minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes and simmer for 20 to 25 more minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp water until smooth. Add to stew. Mix well and continue to cook until stew is bubbly and has thickened. Stir in peas and parsley and cook just until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes.

----------------------

I wish I had pictures of my son cutting the onion up. At first he said it wasn't bad, but by the second half his eyes were burning and watering like crazy. I took pity on him and finished it up.

Dropped the prepped veg into the instapot as it's cut.

432075670_3769333626679830_5293065522837425737_n.jpg

Once his eyes cleared up he finished the rest of the prep by chopping up some homemade bacon ends.

431750381_711446164393446_6990971668074159353_n.jpg

After frying the bacon to get some of the fat out of it, brown your beef in the bacon fat. He wasn't too happy about the fat splattering about and getting him on the forearm, but he's getting great color on these and a wonderful fond on the bottom of the pan. These get thrown into the pot as when they're finished.

431760483_872753257986237_2301877841529876103_n.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the onions, carrots and celery in the pan helping to deglaze it with a touch of water. Once all that is done it's put into the pot and cooked. It was a touch on the watery side, but it turned out great for his first attempt.

431810524_438053098576866_7691812186707413265_n.jpg

Nice! I may have to try that as a slightly simpler version of the classic.

A couple of years ago, after my wife sat me down to watch Julie and Julia, I set out to make Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon from her original recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". It's a famously complex recipe, that figures prominently in the movie.

It was very good, yes, but it took me most of a day to make it. And there is almost no down time...every time you think you can sit down while something is simmering, it's time to start prep on the next thing that gets added to the pot.

Thanks for the kind words all! I keep telling him that he needs to learn how to cook. You can't rely on mom and dad all the time and being able to cook is part of what helped me win his mom over :emoji_laughing:.

I haven't seen the movie and it's been some time since we've watched any of Julia Child's TV episodes S Smoke-Chem BBQ . She made a series for PBS back in the 60s and 70 that was called "The French Chef". The episode where she prepares a whole chicken is vivid in my mind. I think she near touched EVERYTHING in the kitchen after handling the bird. Can't recall her washing her hands at any point in the show... Wife and I really laughed when we saw that.

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice job cooking young man!
The stew looks pretty good in those pics... Yum!
Yep, please tell him I said that.
Also... Congrats on the Carousel ride!

Great job incorporating his French language studies with French cooking.
We're homeschoolers too, we used cooking to help them understand math, measurements and chemistry.

I do have to ask though,
"Where's the Bourguignon?"
I see no red wine, much less Burgundy, used in the recipe for the braising liquid?
Not trying to be an arse, genuinely curious because of the thread title.
Making do with what's in the pantry?
Suiting the young man's palate?
Teetotaler household?

Last edited:
Reactions: nlife
Nice job cooking young man!
The stew looks pretty good in those pics... Yum!
Yep, please tell him I said that.
Also... Congrats on the Carousel ride!

Great job incorporating his French language studies with French cooking.
We're homeschoolers too, we used cooking to help them understand math, measurements and chemistry.

I do have to ask though,
"Where's the Bourguignon?"
I see no red wine, much less Burgundy, used in the recipe for the braising liquid?
Not trying to be an arse, genuinely curious because of the thread title.
Making do with what's in the pantry?
Suiting the young man's palate?
Teetotaler household?

We've been using sausage making to help him understand math and chemistry. He HATED measuring out and mixing the spices until he requested a different job. I quickly agreed and told him that he could mix all the spice into the meat. I measured it out and he got to deal with near ice cold mixing process! :emoji_laughing: He doesn't complain about measuring or mixing the spice anymore...

You got me on the wine part. I like beer and the occasional bourbon. Wife enjoys a bit of gin every now and then, but neither of us are wine drinkers. We have tried making it with wine, but we didn't care for it enough to pick up a bottle for the occasional stew.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky