Anniversary Prime Rib And Sirloin Roast (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Howdy folks. Been a while since I've had time to really participate here. This has been an insane year thus far with one major project after another around the property. Too many things to do and not enough hours in the day so something had to go. Got a reprieve from yard work today from the weather...YAY!! This cook was supposed to happen May 22nd but got rained out. Several more delays after that and it finally happened a couple weeks ago and am getting a few minutes (more like 2 hours) to post it. This was also the first decent sized gathering we have had in almost a year and a half and included our best friends.

Started with a 9# prime rib. Dry brined for 3 days with kosher salt uncovered in the fridge
20210610_140511_Fotogenic.jpg

I hit the mother lode from CPB with top sirloin roasts. Got 10 full roasts and this is one of them. Weight was just over 7#
20210610_140822_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut it in half and dry brined this also along with the prime rib
20210610_141908_Fotogenic.jpg

Dough for the first batch of sour cream onion rolls. Made two batches, one Friday and one Saturday morning
20210611_154349_Fotogenic.jpg

Portioned out, on the pan, proofed a second time, and ready to go into the oven
20210611_170825_Fotogenic.jpg

Done and out of the oven. These things are fantastic!!
20210611_173630_Fotogenic.jpg

Get the PR ready. Since it's been brining in salt for 3 days I just did a heavy coat of black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
20210612_125408_Fotogenic.jpg

Sirloin roast just got black pepper
20210612_125540_Fotogenic.jpg

A few simple appetizers: fresh watermelon, Lori's spicy corn guacamole, her chipotle hot sauce, chips, a jalapeno ranch dip I made (recipe from my good friend SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) and some celery sticks.
20210612_151324_Fotogenic.jpg

Folks hanging out and enjoying an adult libation and some munchies
20210612_155132_Fotogenic.jpg

Temps knocking on the door of triple digits so it's pool time
20210612_161317_Fotogenic.jpg

PR on the Rec Tec 3 hours in running about 250. No cook pics of the sirloin but it was done indirect on the Weber
20210612_162408_Fotogenic.jpg

Both done and in the house resting
20210612_173212_Fotogenic.jpg

Sliced. Sirloin took just a couple minutes longer than anticipated and the PR got away from me by a couple degrees.
20210612_173719_Fotogenic.jpg

The spread. Simple, basic, and to the point: the meat, smashed garlic and chive taters, heart of palm salad, homemade au jus, horseradish, the rolls, and butter.
20210612_174108_Fotogenic.jpg

My diner plate
20210612_175102_Fotogenic.jpg

Folks enjoying their dinner (or at least pretending to)
20210612_175109_Fotogenic.jpg

This was a very good meal but the best part was finally getting a group of friends together and feeling comfortable about it. Been way too long but we were not taking any chances and neither were they. These pics are somewhat of an eye-opener though. Most of these people we have known and been friends with for 20 years or so. The transition from youth to aged is slow and you don't really see it on a day to day basis but sitting and looking at the pics you realize how much we have all aged. Getting older is not for sissies, that's for sure but I guess it beats the heck out of the alternative :emoji_wink:

Well gonna call this one a wrap. Need to take a fat dog on a walk before the rain hits again. Thanks so much for dropping in and my apologies to all my SMF friends for missing out on what I know have been some great posts. I'll try to stay on top of the goings-on in here better going forward.

Robert

Great job pulling that all together! Looks like a delicious meal and great times!

Wowsa Robert. Great looking spread. And its great to get together with family and friends again.

Jim

Great looking spread and nice to share with what has been a long road to getting friends together , hope this keeps going in the right direction for us all

Thanks for sharing all looks fantastic, Could i find out more about your sour cream onion rolls please

David

Looks great and I know what you mean about aging, lost a longtime best buddy right before Christmas 2 years ago, been BF for 37 years

Great job pulling that all together! Looks like a delicious meal and great times!

Very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Wowsa Robert. Great looking spread. And its great to get together with family and friends again.

Thank you Jim and you're right. Was really nice to get a group of friends together again. We live to entertain and it's been tough not being able to spend time with folks.

Could i find out more about your sour cream onion rolls please

Absolutely. I am not a baker by any means so take the easy sleazy approach.
014.jpg

Found this place a couple years ago and have been very impressed. all of their products have been outstanding. I use their stuff for Italian bread sticks, pizza dough, hamburger buns, sub rolls, dinner rolls, etc and have never been disappointed. They have hundreds of offerings to choose from and we tend to keep 20 to 30 different mixes around.

Robert

Really, really nice, Robert.

Thanks so much. Was fin to finally get to do a nice meal.

Very nice spread Robert! The PR looks perfect!

Thank you Steve. Everybody else thought it was perfect but I would have liked to see it 2 to 3 degrees more pink.

Everything looks great Robert. It's nice getting together with friends and enjoying each others company.

Very much appreciate it Rob. Yes, was really nice getting people together again. Looking forward to the next one, that's for sure.

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
That looks Outstanding! The Food, the Friends and your beautiful Bride? Not much more you could ask for. Congrats and Welcome back...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
It is fantastic to be able to get groups together again!! That meal would pull a group together fast, of course they all know to expect some fine dining at your place Robert. It’s all looks fantastic. I’ll bet that prime was still money! I could tear up some of that right now. I see you still like that hearts of palm salad too. Glad you posted as I need to make that again soon. Great summer salad. Glad you got some time to post up some of that Q view!

From the appetizers to the entrée a all around superb effort Robert! Good friends, good food, good times, doesn't get any better than that amigo. RAY

Looks great and I know what you mean about aging, lost a longtime best buddy right before Christmas 2 years ago, been BF for 37 years

Yes sir. I am 58 and Tracy is 56 but we have a lot of friends that are well into their 70's and we can see time catching up with them.

That looks Outstanding! The Food, the Friends and your beautiful Bride? Not much more you could ask for. Congrats and Welcome back

Thanks so much Jimmy. I truly appreciate it sir, on all counts.

All good you still had to do all the work your self, so not lazy at all, ha ha

I said "easy sleazy", not lazy :emoji_laughing: Appreciate the kind words though. It takes a considerable amount of time but it's mostly waiting. Very little hands-on time.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky