Who remembers what good eggs were like?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Anyone here remember when eggs looked like this when they hit the pan (firm almost orange yolk sitting tall on the white, and a white that does NOT run across the pan like water - from a young hen that ate high quality feed, good grass AND bugs)?
A FRESH EGG.jpg

NOT this (an egg laid by an OLD hen that was fed the cheapest feed that could be found anywhere in the Country - pale yellow yolk, watery white - sickening):
A POOR EGG.jpg

Problem is - even for $10 or $12 a dozen - there ARE no good eggs anymore. Even the Farmer's Market eggs around here are Walmart eggs. Its disgusting.

OK rant off - have a great day!

Hmmm. Interesting.

Sacramento is surrounded by farmland and rural property. Although we live in a suburb, I am a 5-10 minute drive from open country.

One of my wife's team members has chickens. Before the shutdown, we'd get eggs occasionally from her. Yes, the shells were multicolored and the yolks were definitely more orange, but I didn't notice much of a flavor or cooking difference.

The eggs we buy from our discount grocer are cage-free chicken eggs. The price on an 18-pak varies from $3.68 to $5.68 and changes often. We go through about a pak a week. They look like the first picture when cooked, not the second.

I will see a VERY pale yellow yolk on a rare occasion, like twice in the last several years. Most yolks are bright yellowish-orange.

I avoid Walmart at all costs, and only go there when I have no other choice. I've never bought eggs there.

Reactions: Retired Spook
It's actually a law in CA that chickens must be cage‐free. That law was supposed to go into effect 1/1/22 but it is tied up in the courts (same for pigs, etc, not that I'd want a pig egg). Still, I've been buying the same cage-free eggs for years. I guess the place was way ahead of the curve.

20220907_162326.jpg

It's actually a law in CA that chickens must be cage‐free. That law was supposed to go into effect 1/1/22 but it is tied up in the courts (same for pigs, etc, not that I'd want a pig egg). Still, I've been buying the same cage-free eggs for years. I guess the place was way ahead of the curve.
Pig eggs lives matter!

I definitely do notice a difference in taste between a good fresh egg that was fed high quality feed and ate good grass and bugs (the first photo) or a Walmart egg - All other eggs are Walmart eggs to me - I detest Walmart and refuse to walk in the place.

I've loved eggs since I was very young. I only wish I could get some good eggs now.

It's a Walmart Country, to my extreme disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
Wow wish you were closer we sell our extras a lot cheaper than that. Raise your own it's not hard don't get a rooster and it's not that noisy either

Wow wish you were closer we sell our extras a lot cheaper than that. Raise your own it's not hard don't get a rooster and it's not that noisy either
Most cities and towns around here have ordnances against roosters but allow the keeping of hens, which doesn't apply to me since I don't live in town. I don't keep a rooster with my hens anyhow. Noise wasn't really the issue, I just got tired of looking at his favorite hens with no feathers on their backs from him riding them. I've downsized my flock in the last few years, but I was selling eggs for 3 bucks a dozen, and that's still pretty much the going rate from what I see on Craig's List.

Not familiar with Ameracuana but my wife grew up with a mile of layers. Literally. We had some Banty chickens and guinea hens.
Have a friend who raises chickens. He keeps us supplied.

We sell ours for 4-5 bucks a dozen
I presently don't have any roosters and am not figuring on getting any anytime soon. We are out in the country and zoned rural so no problems with rules

Our easter eggers are laying blue eggs, we have olive eggers that lay green/olive colored eggs, cuckoo marans that lay copper/chocolate colored eggs and the rest lay light brown to tan eggs. We do have some that are still to young to lay that will produce white eggs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky