Who remembers what good eggs were like?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow wish you were closer we sell our extras a lot cheaper than that. Raise your own it's not hard don't get a rooster and it's not that noisy either
You're makin me cry pineywoods pineywoods I'd be your best customer.

I am not be able to raise chickens where I live.

Last edited:
We call them "fancy chickens". Covers several breeds. They lay green, blue and pink eggs
Those might be "Easter Egger" chickens - also known as "Americana" chickens.

Easter Egger's can/do lay various colors - Ameraucana chickens lay blue/green eggs.

I would happily buy any color egg, just so long as it wasn't laid by an old hen raised on dirt and Walmart feed.

Our easter eggers are laying blue eggs, we have olive eggers that lay green/olive colored eggs, cuckoo marans that lay copper/chocolate colored eggs and the rest lay light brown to tan eggs. We do have some that are still to young to lay that will produce white eggs
Ha I missed this post before posting my own about Easter Eggers!

I am fortunate in that we get all of our eggs from a local farmer that we know and they all look like the 1st picture. They're either brown or white, but I've seen just about every color in the rainbow...

Reactions: Retired Spook
Strange as this is going to sound - as much as I love eggs, I've never tried a duck egg...

Cray-cray I know - I've just never had the chance.
soWMvaih.jpg
Duck on left, larger, more flavor and huge yolk, thicker shell and membrane.

So we live in my grandparents house, remodeled after sitting empty for over 20 years. But years ago as a kid my uncle told me they were sitting eating eggs for breakfast when the coal burning furnace burped ( or backfired, whichever term is correct) blew the clean out cover out of the chimney. Black soot covered the dining room, all I remember him saying was " they were such good eggs too!) That would really suck!

Ryan

Anyone here remember when eggs looked like this when they hit the pan (firm almost orange yolk sitting tall on the white, and a white that does NOT run across the pan like water - from a young hen that ate high quality feed, good grass AND bugs)?
View attachment 643142

NOT this (an egg laid by an OLD hen that was fed the cheapest feed that could be found anywhere in the Country - pale yellow yolk, watery white - sickening):
View attachment 643143

Problem is - even for $10 or $12 a dozen - there ARE no good eggs anymore. Even the Farmer's Market eggs around here are Walmart eggs. Its disgusting.

OK rant off - have a great day!
That "walmart egg" is still labeled as grade A. I've noticed the same, local eggs for me have been hit or miss.

IMG_1367.JPG I have 6 Black Astralorp hens get 4-6 eggs a day sell the extras at $2 a dozen. We have a lot of predators here so unable to free range but they do get to roam while being watched several times a week. Haven't bought eggs in a store for a very long time.

Last edited:
Now all I have to do if find one of you kind folks with fresh eggs for sale that lives somewhere close to me here in the 9th circle of hell / central Texas...

From the USDA website:

Eggs are categorized into one of three consumer grades:
  • USDA Grade AA – The freshest and highest quality eggs will receive a Grade AA.
  • USDA Grade A – Very high quality eggs will receive a Grade A.
  • USDA Grade B – Grade B eggs are usually used for breaking stock (liquid eggs) and baking, dependingon the number of defects.
I did not know any of this until this thread. I'll be going to the store today and look at the grades of all the eggs they sell.

From the USDA website:

Eggs are categorized into one of three consumer grades:
  • USDA Grade AA – The freshest and highest quality eggs will receive a Grade AA.
  • USDA Grade A – Very high quality eggs will receive a Grade A.
  • USDA Grade B – Grade B eggs are usually used for breaking stock (liquid eggs) and baking, dependingon the number of defects.
I did not know any of this until this thread. I'll be going to the store today and look at the grades of all the eggs they sell.
I do not trust the government on anything anymore.

I am certain that what they call AA today, was B, 10-years ago.

• Sad
Reactions: chilerelleno
I'm with Ray on a lot of this. I've had "friends and family" who've had chickens and the eggs vary from just a bit stronger than a store-bought egg to some chicken breed so unique that the egg tasted quite different. None of these though I would prefer to store-bought eggs.

I'm not sure why, but store-bought eggs (and I find walmart no different from Safeway) certainly run like crazy on a pan. I think I have my new griddle pretty well leveled...both cooking oil and cleaning water stays where I squirt it. But I have to fry my eggs toward the upper right corner since that's the direction they run to.

And I sensed no difference (neither in taste nor viscosity) when eggs became "cage-free". I think I heard that cage-free means the back of the cage is open so a chicken can go out for a stroll and fresh air. But with free food and drugs in the front of the cage, I believe most chickens choose the less adventurous route!

Now I do not have a well-developed palate so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm quite happy with Rolling Rock instead of the IPAs I used to buy.

I betcha if you taste them side-by-side you would notice a difference - especially the yolk! :emoji_thumbsup:

I betcha if you taste them side-by-side you would notice a difference - especially the yolk! :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh I definitely taste the difference...that's what I meant by stronger. But I didn't find that taste preferable or desirable--that's all I meant. And the price, packaging, and convenience of the store-bought eggs definitely gets a nod here.

Now whiskey just can't get strong enough for my taste. So I guess bourbon doesnt come from chickens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky