[PHOTOS ADDED] 9th Annual South Florida Gathering (December 6th - 8th, Sebring FL)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How many people entered last year that it took over an hour to judge? Unless there were 30 entries, it really shouldn't have taken an hour. When I judged for KCBS, you took one bite scored and moved on to the next one. Afterwards, if you wanted to you could finish stuff off, but one and done.

As far as teams, sounds interesting, though as the (ahem) 2017 Champion, I really think I got lucky more than skill. I have my method, and happy to share it, but don't know that I'm a captain per ce.

I'm fine with either format. I can team up or fly solo.

Yes should go quickly on judging, but it doesn't. Every year it takes wwwwaaaaayyyyyy to long! I was a judge the year you won and I remember people taking too long and it being more social gathering than, let's get this done so everyone else can eat.

Last year was 12 or 13 entries.

I too am fine with either way. I had talked with Doug about it as a suggestion to maybe help some that are not sure about the process or are intimidated and is a way to help ease the nerves. I know my first year I was extremely nervous to cook for the gathering. I ended up holding my own within the 3 comps they would do. Darn cake! But I cook for a living and was nervous. I have heard others over the years express not entering because of that.

So whatever the majority wants to do I am good with.

Just need to figure out what crazy thing I'll do for sides this year......

Hello everyone! Sorry I’m getting here kind of late, but I’ll be at the gathering FOR SURE!

as far as the rib comp goes, I’m in for whatever is needed. And that goes for the rest of the meals. I’d be happy to cook main or side dishes.

ok.. Let's leave teams up to a last minute decision... ? just bring the ribs you would do solo ...

Get'n closer every day.. I'm ready (almost)

I'm bringing Smoke House, Grinder, 2 stuffers (5 lb'rs) , seasonings for sticks ( I don't have any for fresh sausage, we'd have to make/buy some) , A twin pack of whole boston butts, everything to make snack sticks and breakfast sausage.... So if anybody wants to do the work and provide meat and casings to take some home for the freezer.. Your more than welcome... nothing beats home made (especially when ya make it yourself) ...

I kinda need an idea on how many butts we are going to grind up (who's bringing some) ? And get a order in for casings shortly...

And as always, I'll be doing a Maple/Bourbon Ham for friday night, ribs sat...

Last edited:
If needed, I'll bring a butt or two.

I'll plan on at least 2 racks of ribs.

Still trying to figure out something "odd" to make.

I can bring 1-2 butts for snack sticks as well depending on how many others are being donated. I"ll also provide man power to help more this year with the making process. i'll bring 1-2 racks as well and we'll figure out if we want teams or not like Keith said.

Anything else we need to vet out as we get closer? Sounds we are mostly good to go

Also some good news! Jeff is going to donate some books and maybe other items to give away this year!

I contacted Todd from A-Maze-N but no word back yet

I’ll bring a couple racks. I have a new short-cut way of fixing them I’d like to show y’all, either Friday or Saturday. If I find a good sale, I might bring a turkey to compliment Keith’s ham. Or, if y’all think it better, I can bring fixin's for either scholloped potatoes or Mac and cheese.

No side dish comp??? Guess I'll have to leave the chocolate covered bacon at home

IMG_20191026_182742.jpg
IMG_20191026_182736.jpg

Ditto what Keith said! Bring those (drool)

We can do the usual comps Ribs (Team or Individual) Cocktail Side/Appetizer

Keith

My wife will have to meet after she gets off work at 5. I will be there Sat mid morning bringing my friend and his wife and some eats. Do you need any stick mix. I asked Todd also (no reply)

Rick.. I'd like to try some of that Tex Mex seasoning (owens) I just seen in one of your threads... Maybe you can get Owens to donate something ?

Also.. what is it I need to get to add a little twang to my sticks ??

Rick.. I'd like to try some of that Tex Mex seasoning (owens) I just seen in one of your threads... Maybe you can get Owens to donate something ?

Also.. what is it I need to get to add a little twang to my sticks ??

I could bring some Jalepeno and/or Chipotle powder....or White Pepper

We got our first donation, enroute to my house. It's from Thin Blue Foods....is that Jeff's thing or someone else? New to me but its got the SMF logo in it

I could bring some Jalepeno and/or Chipotle powder....or White Pepper

OK Doug... bring all that and I'll not use fresh Jalepeno this time ...

To all others that haven't chimed in yet about any sausage besides snack sticks and breakfast links... I'll be ordering some stick casings very soon so If I/we need other casings for them I need to know SOON ...

Getting closer every day...

Doug we will be bringing a small item for give away/prize also. Pertains to cooking... If I can remember to bring it!

We will be doing a chicken Friday night along with deep fried deviled eggs for potluck on Saturday. Will be cooking breakfast both Friday and Saturday, if you want to join us bring something for the pot. Scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, maybe sausage on the menu.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky