[PHOTOS ADDED] 9th Annual South Florida Gathering (December 6th - 8th, Sebring FL)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok so looks like little input on competition. So is team still going to happen and what has been decided on for meat?

Time to start making final plans.

Late to the party, but grabbed site #92. Will have to read through the thread to catch up. Looking forward to a return to the group - been too long.

Late to the party, but grabbed site #92. Will have to read through the thread to catch up. Looking forward to a return to the group - been too long.
Got ya updated on Page 1

If everyone is onboard with the teams idea, who would like to be a captain? The idea was Ribs for the team competition. I think doing Ribs and a Side competition is enough, everyone on board with that idea?

Reactions: bobcats110
Got ya updated on Page 1

If everyone is onboard with the teams idea, who would like to be a captain? The idea was Ribs for the team competition. I think doing Ribs and a Side competition is enough, everyone on board with that idea?
John will be happy to be a team captain, his son from North Carolina is also joining us. How many per team? Is each team doing a side besides ribs?

It is more of a limit on number of teams.
This way less time in judging and more time eating.
Last year I think there were 12 entries and it took well over an hour to judge.
It also gives a chance for those that are new to work with someone with a little more experience.
It also is a way to get people moving around and talking with someone new. We tend to start cooking and stay is our comfort bubble.

I would say 4 or 5 Teams max. Saturday morning we draw straws for a Team number for the Captains. Then those that want to participate draw another set of straws to determine the Team Captain they are paired with. We cook St. Luis cut or spare ribs cut into St. Louis cut.

If desired, I can check with my butcher to see what type of deal he might offer. I know he has a few different cuts and maybe he will cut us a deal. He did Doug and I good with chicken wings for the game we tailgated together at.

Thoughts?

I do not have to be a captain. I can judge to give the rest a chance.

Jeremy, John wants to compete against you
I have been working hard on my super secret chocolate bbq sauce. It has a blend of 6 different coco cocoa varieties. 5 have to be smuggled in....

Not sure if the gathering is ready for it.....

I'll compete if a Captain is needed, but I'll hold off until they are settled on.

Hey everyone...been out of town for a wedding and work fro the last 7 days so i wasnt online much.

Jeramy summarized the idea perfectly...the main idea is keep is simple, less time judging and more time eating/relaxing. Team Comp is for Ribs only. Sides will be the same as we've done in the past.

We'll see Jeramy on reserve as a captain. Who wants to captain against John :)

Remember this is all in fun.
We do need to make sure there is enough ribs for all. That is the primary goal!

Each Team will need to do around 5 racks each if we only do 4-5 Teams.

ok then... back from vacation (Although I wish I wasn't)... It was absolutely beautiful (caught foliage at it's peak in NY and almost there in PA) in PA. and NY. and the weather was perfect... The way our weather is going we might be glad we moved to Dec. Hopefully the 3 days of cool weather we get for winter now will be the weekend of the Gathering ...

I'm going to suggest maybe past winners be the Captain ??

Carol.... as for your thinking of not enough smoker room... Everybody pretty much brings their own smoker.. so If there are 3 people on a team at 2 slabs per smoker that makes 6 slabs per team .....

I'm assuming that each team will do all their ribs the same ??

As for snack stick making ... I have all the seasoning we will need... we will just need to pick up some casings and maybe some NFPM (non fat powdered milk)... Unless Rick wants to chime in and tell us some other stuff we might want to try ... Otherwise I just use seasoning and NFPM .... I have some natural sheep that we can make some fresh breakfast links with ... If anybody wants to make sausage (Italian,Kielbasa or such).. we would need casings for them as well ...

As Keith said, Teams could work together to get enough cooker space to cook all the ribs.

We could pair Captains with people with large cookers if needed. That actually can be sorted out at the event when we see who shows with what.

Preselected Teams kind of defeats the purpose of mixing people so you get to know others. But if we must, then we must.

Keith who are the rib winners for the past 8 years. Not a bad idea if we have enough that will be there. I know a couple years we did not do a rib comp, we did a whole hog one year, can't remember what we did the other year.

I have a hard time with the each team making 6 racks per team... we always have lots of leftover ribs. 3 racks per team should be more than enough to get a few good turn-ins...

how about this.... Past winners are Team Chef ... Team has to cook The winning ribs of the Team Chef.... "The Friendly Battle of Champions" If you will ...

Would the majority rather go back to the original format? Just throwing that out there...

How many people entered last year that it took over an hour to judge? Unless there were 30 entries, it really shouldn't have taken an hour. When I judged for KCBS, you took one bite scored and moved on to the next one. Afterwards, if you wanted to you could finish stuff off, but one and done.

As far as teams, sounds interesting, though as the (ahem) 2017 Champion, I really think I got lucky more than skill. I have my method, and happy to share it, but don't know that I'm a captain per ce.

I'm fine with either format. I can team up or fly solo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky