PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yah, that was the one I was going for, but the kitchen stores were all out and I strongly dislike waiting for anything. So I spent 5 times as much for the Cadillac of temp pens in that line. I have been getting a lot of use out of it so I am not disappointed and the first 3/4" is fine enough to get between those ribs, but something with a long fine prob would be nice. What are you using in the picture?

Randy,

Yah, that was the one I was going for, but the kitchen stores were all out and I strongly dislike waiting for anything. So I spent 5 times as much for the Cadillac of temp pens in that line. I have been getting a lot of use out of it so I am not disappointed and the first 3/4" is fine enough to get between those ribs, but something with a long fine prob would be nice. What are you using in the picture?

Randy,
In this thread I'm using an old thermapen, and it works fine.

Al

Found this just in time.I had two bb racks in the electric smoker. I started following the 2-2-1 method and they seemed done after 2 hours unwrapped and 2 hours in a foil pan with beer. Found this thread and realized I smoke everything else to IT, so checked and sure enough they were at 195. I may have overcooked them without your expertise. Thank you!

Found this just in time.I had two bb racks in the electric smoker. I started following the 2-2-1 method and they seemed done after 2 hours unwrapped and 2 hours in a foil pan with beer. Found this thread and realized I smoke everything else to IT, so checked and sure enough they were at 195. I may have overcooked them without your expertise. Thank you!
Your welcome!

I'm glad your ribs turned out so well!

Al

Hey Al, I'm going to try your ribs this Sunday with my son comes to visit. I have a question. When you put them on the smoking hot Grill, do you put them over indirect heat or direct heat? Also meat side up or meat side down?

Last edited:
Hey Al, I'm going to try your ribs this Sunday with my son comes to visit. I have a question. When you put them on the smoking hot Grill, do you put them over indirect heat or direct heat? Also meat side up or meat side down?
I put them over direct heat, meat side up.

Be careful & watch them closely, I shut the lid & they only take a couple of minutes.

Just don't let them burn.

Al

Hi Al, well I tried your rib method this weekend. Set my smoker at 225 degrees, it took the ribs about 4 hours to get to about 165. I then wrapped them like you did with some brown sugar, butter, some rub and a little water. Left them in until they hit about 195. Threw them on the hot grill for a few minutes with barbecue sauce. I have to say they were probably the best ribs I ever had and everybody loved them. They had the perfect bite. Thank you so much for sharing this method.

Hi Al, well I tried your rib method this weekend. Set my smoker at 225 degrees, it took the ribs about 4 hours to get to about 165. I then wrapped them like you did with some brown sugar, butter, some rub and a little water. Left them in until they hit about 195. Threw them on the hot grill for a few minutes with barbecue sauce. I have to say they were probably the best ribs I ever had and everybody loved them. They had the perfect bite. Thank you so much for sharing this method.
Your very welcome!

I'm so glad they turned out so well for you!

Al

Thank you for this post. My ribs turned out so tender I did 199, the highest my digital thermometer will go. I definitely need to rethink my rub, I used the same one I use for loin, not thinking of surface area eaten. They were good just incredibly salty!!

Thank you for this post. My ribs turned out so tender I did 199, the highest my digital thermometer will go. I definitely need to rethink my rub, I used the same one I use for loin, not thinking of surface area eaten. They were good just incredibly salty!!
Sorry to hear about the salt issue, but your ribs look fantastic!

If you PM me I will give you my rub recipe, there is no salt in it.

Al

Hi Al
Great looking ribs! If you are not going to eat them for a couple of hours can you foil and hold them and still turn out perfect?
I usually just let them sit on the cutting board uncovered.

If you want to serve them hot, after they cool down, cut them up &10 seconds in the microwave will heat them right back up.

Personally I like them cold the next day.

Al

Man I just got laughed at. I pulled my last rib at 196 and to me and my family it was perfect. However I brought some over to my Thai friend and his wife, and his wife laughed and called me a newbie for overcooking the ribs.

I do understand some people here in Thailand prefer them much tougher. But man...

Sorry just gotta let that out. I love your method.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your method. I'm new at this, using my new smoker for the first time today. I'm making ribs, trying the 3-2-1 method, if nothing else to get kind of a "baseline" for a common way of cooking them.

But I'm interested to try your approach. Goimg by temperature, vs time, makes a lot of sense.

Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread. I have a ThermoPop (which is great), but that requires opening the door to check IT. I'm hoping I could use my TP-20 to monitor the IT live, for a reduced number of cooking disruptions. It's almost certainly not as small a probe as the Smoke's Needle probe, but maybe the tip is narrow enough.

Worst-case I could use my ThermoPop, of course, but that requires more checks, or more experience with how long things should take, and therefore when to check.

Man I just got laughed at. I pulled my last rib at 196 and to me and my family it was perfect. However I brought some over to my Thai friend and his wife, and his wife laughed and called me a newbie for overcooking the ribs.

I do understand some people here in Thailand prefer them much tougher. But man...

Sorry just gotta let that out. I love your method.
Well this world is full of jerks & unfortunately you have a couple of them for friends.

If you & your family like your cooking that is all that matters!

Al

Thank you for sharing your method. I'm new at this, using my new smoker for the first time today. I'm making ribs, trying the 3-2-1 method, if nothing else to get kind of a "baseline" for a common way of cooking them.

But I'm interested to try your approach. Goimg by temperature, vs time, makes a lot of sense.

Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread. I have a ThermoPop (which is great), but that requires opening the door to check IT. I'm hoping I could use my TP-20 to monitor the IT live, for a reduced number of cooking disruptions. It's almost certainly not as small a probe as the Smoke's Needle probe, but maybe the tip is narrow enough.

Worst-case I could use my ThermoPop, of course, but that requires more checks, or more experience with how long things should take, and therefore when to check.
I generally don't even check the ribs until around the 3 hour mark.

You can use your TP 20 & try to get it in a good spot between the bones. 

Then use your thermoPop for a final temp check, when you think your getting close.

Al

I have tried throwing the ribs on a hot gas grill twice now and have not been able to get the membrane to "dust".  It gets crisp, which I kind of like, but I cannot get rid of it. The ribs also start to burn/char.  I am leaving them on for 2-3 minutes.  is everyone else having success getting rid of the membrane by throwing them on the grill? If so, how long are you leaving them on and at what temp?

I have tried throwing the ribs on a hot gas grill twice now and have not been able to get the membrane to "dust".  It gets crisp, which I kind of like, but I cannot get rid of it. The ribs also start to burn/char.  I am leaving them on for 2-3 minutes.  is everyone else having success getting rid of the membrane by throwing them on the grill? If so, how long are you leaving them on and at what temp?
how hot is the grill? My smoker has a 500F setting and it comes right off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky