My turn....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...at pastrami. This past Monday, Jeff jcam222 jcam222 , posted a thread about pastrami that looked amazing and got my mouth watering https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/just-some-more-pastrami.308410/, so this is ALL his fault. I ran out to the store hungering for a corned beef brisket to turn into pastrami (I took the easy way out) and low and behold, I found a couple reduced for $1.99/lb. I just had to....

thumbnail (1).jpg

Rinsed them off real good and into a bowl of cold water to get out some of the salt. I changed the water a few times.
thumbnail.jpg

Because these were corned beef and I'm always conscious of the salt, I mixed up a batch of chef jimmyj chef jimmyj 's pastrami rub which doesn't have added salt. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pastrami-rub-recipe.299669/#post-2108313.
For the record, I like thirdeye thirdeye 's pastrami rub, as well. I use it when I cure my own brisket for pastrami. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pastrami-wet-brine.302811/#post-2151312

Anyway, after drying them off, I messaged the rub into the flats and allowed to them get happy for awhile while I get the grill ready.
thumbnail (16).jpg

Got the Weber hot with some cherry wood on the side and away they go at about 275℉-300℉ for the duration.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Not sure if this qualifies as thin blue smoke.
thumbnail (3).jpg

Now the wait.....
Plenty of time to play with my new toy thanks to the arm twisting by uncle eddie uncle eddie and gang. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...for-grilling-bbqing-and-smoking-meats.307841/. This thing is too much fun, a fly doesn't stand a chance :emoji_wink:.
20210610_160810.jpg

At about 185℉ or so, I had to take a look and probe them.
thumbnail (2).jpg

Not ready yet.

A couple of hours later, time to check again. Now they're getting right.
20210610_181415.jpg

Pulled at 202℉ and probe tender, just not falling apart. Let rest for a few and time to slice.
thumbnail (7).jpg

Rye bread, kraut, swiss cheese, homemade pickled red onions (my wife's idea), and Russian dressing or Thousand Island for those who prefer. On the press...
thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

Served with Mexican street corn (my wife's thing) along with Mexican Crema. Yes, it's an unusual combination and not necessarily mine, but it is what it is. My wife loves these things.
thumbnail (4).jpg

OK, I'm done....

Man now you made me hungry and I’m headed to the kitchen for some leftovers! Looks great and man $1.99 / lbs is awesome. If you want to try something a little different on the sammies try subbing fried cabbage and dill havarti for the swiss and kraut. It’s my new fav.

There you
Man now you made me hungry and I’m headed to the kitchen for some leftovers! Looks great and man $1.99 / lbs is awesome. If you want to try something a little different on the sammies try subbing fried cabbage and dill havarti for the swiss and kraut. It’s my new fav.
There you go AGAIN, starting something that I'm going to have to finish..:emoji_laughing:

Looks awesome. I really need to get busy and do my own pastrami. Maybe when we get caught up hay and bush hogging. This rainy week hasn't helped any.

Have fun with that bug-a-salt. A mix of kosher and table salt works great...like double-aught buck with #5 shot.

Meal looks really yummy too! LIKE!

Looks great and I'm sure it tasted Great.
In NJ, there was a Bar/Restaurant that made, Loaded Hot Pastrami on Rye, with Melted Swiss, 1000 Island and Cold Creamy Coleslaw! The flavors were out of this world good, Spicy, Sweet, Sour, but it was the Hot and Cold contrast that made it so different!

That Fried Kraut and Dill Havarti sounds really good too! Bev is NOT a fan of Boiled Sauerkraut but Loves it Fried with Onions. A traditional Part of or Christmas Eve meal tradition...JJ

Good looking sammie!
Pastrami is a big favorite around here, but I usually cure my own.
But in a pinch I do the same as you & use a store bought corned beef.
Nice job!
Al

Sheesh you people are such enablers........That pastrami looks great. And that sammisch...Wowsa!
Jim

Curing your Fresh Brisket, first into Corned Beef then Pastrami is easy. Brine Cure, then add Pastrami Rub and Smoke it at 225°F or Smoke/Steam to desired tenderness...JJ

Killer Corned Beef Brine

1Gal Cold Water, Divided
1/2C Morton Kosher Salt (3/4C if Diamond Chrystal)
1/4C Pickling Spice
1C Diced Onion
4 Cloves Garlic, chopped.
1Ea Carrot, diced
1Ea Rib Celery, diced
1T Fresh Thyme Leaves (1tsp Dry)
2T Brown Sugar
1T Cure #1

Toast the Pickling Spices in a dry 2 Qt Pot over medium heat until fragrant.
Add 1Qt of the Water and the remaining EXCEPT the Cure #1.
Bring to a Boil and simmer 5 minutes.
Add this " Tea " to the remaining 3QT Cold Water in a food safe container and stir in the 1T Cure #1.
Measure the thickness of the meat at the thickest point.
Brine One Day for each 1/2 inch of thickness of the thickest part.
Soak completely submerged, weight down with a bag of water.
Everything may fit in a Ziplock 2 Gallon Bag if you don't have a Food Safe Container.
Place Bag in another container or roasting pan in case of leaks.

Better 'en NY Pastrami Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar
2T Black Peppercorns
1T Coriander Seed
1T Dill Seed
1T Dry Minced Onion
1T Dry Minced Garlic
1tsp Allspice Berries
1tsp Mustard Seed
1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves
3 Bay Leaves, crumbled
1tsp Juniper Berries

All Spices are Whole and were toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant.
Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted. If grinding do so only slightly as the Minced size is pretty close to perfect for Pastrami.

That looks so good! I just finished lunch and I'm hungry all over again. Gonna give this a try with chef jimmyj's pastrami rub!
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj where did you get your Juniper Berries?

GS, Nice "strami" , you've been a busy man !
Being retired and able to do it, I generally cook about 4-5 nights a week for our family and friends. There may be 15-20 here on any night, but usually always around 10. It's much easier to cook for a crowd than it is for just the two of us and I do enjoy it...:emoji_grin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky