Tri-Tip Pastrami Using Pop's Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
For my most recent pastrami, I used a 1-gallon corning brine based on Pop's Brine, but added a bunch of corning aromatics and substituted 16 ounces of beer. I did inject 10% of the meat weight. The beef corned for 12 or 14 days, seasoned, rested 24 hours, then smoked followed by a pressure finish.

After corning
nVm7iSU.jpg

mty49g2.jpg

z9QKKGV.jpg

qSrt3X5.jpg

Xn4HjBr.jpg

This is after chilling down, to show the fat lines.
HFDK8tK.jpg

I always worried about losing crust with the pressure finish but it doesn’t look like you lost much at all.
The bark is about as delicate as when steaming, but it sets up quickly. Think of a pressure cooker as hi-temp steam. 🤣 The higher temp in a pressure cooker will sometimes darken the bark a little. Here is a close-up of some pastrami cubes.
wPC6QML.jpg

Looks fantastic. How much picking spice did you add?
Here is my corning brine:

My version of a corning brine brings a lot more flavor to the meat because of the many aromatics I use during the curing process. Instead of adding a few 'pickling spices' when cooking corned beef, I use spices and some beer when curing my corned beef. So I get 14 days of flavor when making corned beef.

Because I like Pop's Brine so well I designed my corning brine around his curing brine. The salt and sugar amounts have been adjusted to compensate for the aromatics and spices. Here is how I do it...
=========== Corned Beef & Porkstrami =======
For use on Brisket, Round Roast, Chuck Roast, Pork Butt in order to make Corned Beef, Corned Pork, Pastrami and Porkstrami.

112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
80g canning salt (Kosher is okay too)
30g white sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves
22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down) (note 2: the amount of Cure #1 is 22 grams due to the large amount of aromatics used)

Step 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight.

Step 2 – On day 2, add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Inject the brine into the meat. Then add the meat into the chilled covering brine, and cure for 13 to 15 days, agitating the liquid daily. I prefer using a 2.5 gallon zipper bag, in a plastic bucket. Using the bucket handle, I spin the bucket 90° for about 30 seconds to agitate the liquid.

Step 3 - Remove meat from brine.... rinse well and soak about an hour or so in cold water. Pat the meat dry. Use your preferred cooking method and recipe for corned beef.

====== Pastrami ======

Step 3A - If you are using your corned meat for pastrami or porkstrami, add pastrami seasoning. Rest in the refrigerator 12 to 18 hours uncovered. This sets the rub and forms the pellicle which helps take the smoke.

Step 3B – Smoke the meat up to 5 or 6 hours or until it gets a nice color and the internal is ~160°. Either wrap with some beef broth and cook it tender or move to pressure cooker with some beef broth. Process for 35 minutes, then use natural release. Check tenderness and if needed…. Process again for 5 or 6 minutes. Steaming the pastrami is another good finishing method.

Looks fantastic, are you just covering the meat with water in the pressure?
Oh heck no.

Maybe a pint of weak beef broth, thinned out consume, or AuJus... just enough liquid so the PC wont boil dry in 30 minutes. Because if you need to go 5 or 6 minutes longer, just add more liquid if the level looks low.

EDIT: I add enough liquid to get it a little bit above the trivet. Maybe 1/2" deep.

Last edited:
Looks great! Thanks for the details as well.
Those amount, and individual herbs, spices and all, can be varied to your tastes or availability. Just like if you are making sausage or chili. In other words, if you don't have crushed ginger... don't worry about that.

I just grew up on home "corned" beef that was very aromatic. It was different than "cured meat" with salt, pepper and Cure #1 like we do for ham.

Reactions: MJB05615
Those amount, and individual herbs, spices and all, can be varied to your tastes or availability. Just like if you are making sausage or chili. In other words, if you don't have crushed ginger... don't worry about that.

I just grew up on home "corned" beef that was very aromatic. It was different than "cured meat" with salt, pepper and Cure #1 like we do for ham.
Makes sense. I'd be apt to try exactly as you have written my first time with this method, then see how it is and go from there.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
WCB
Wyoming Corned Beef
Can we call you an honorary Wyoming Colonel? Twist on Kentucky Colonel.
KFC secret recipe is not so much the (secret) herbs and spices, but the pressure cooking.

Now that looks and sounds great.
I can tell you , I would have a stomach ache from eating way too much at one sitting, I just know I would :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

Thanks for posting your way of processing. Love the PC finish. New to me.

I have to make more soon

Thanks

David

move to pressure cooker with some beef broth. Process for 35 minutes,
Last one I did was smoked to 150 , then SV'd for 24 hours .
I'll be doing the pressure finish on the next one . Makes more sense , and I bet a better finished result .

I do a dry cure , but mix the spice in wth the cure mixture . 14 days , smells fantastic .

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky