Mississippi Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes, Creamy Pepperocini Beef Fat Gravy, and Jalapeno Cornbread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Zach that looks amazing! Love that gravy boat look ya got going! The plated shot looks just amazing! Of course I'm sitting in the Dr's office right now for my yearly check up...and can feel my blood pressure and cholesterol going up but I'll have a plate or two anyway!!
That's a nice looking new kettle you have! Another thing that adds to the saltiness is the packet of dry ranch dip.

Nicely done!
Ryan

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Excellent job Zach! I've done some chuckies but never like that....yet. I have used the ranch mix in different things and it can certainly add saltiness into the mix. BIG LIKE

Wow Zach, an absolutely spectacular meal!! Just awe inspiring. I can certainly see how the gravy would take on a different twist with the pepper juice in it but I can also see that it would be very, very good, probably with anything beef. I just love those peppers though and could sit there and eat them by the jar full. Add to a beautiful roast and you've got a match made in Heaven!! Excellent job my friend and as always, a truly breathtaking presentation.

Great big LIKE!!
Robert

Thanks Robert! It is a very interesting and delicious gravy. I'm a big fan of the pepperocinis. Just doing my best to keep up with all the gravy posts! #TeamGravy :emoji_grin:

Zach that looks amazing! Love that gravy boat look ya got going! The plated shot looks just amazing! Of course I'm sitting in the Dr's office right now for my yearly check up...and can feel my blood pressure and cholesterol going up but I'll have a plate or two anyway!!
That's a nice looking new kettle you have! Another thing that adds to the saltiness is the packet of dry ranch dip.

Nicely done!
Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Appreciate it. good luck at the Dr! :emoji_sweat_smile: I'm really digging the new kettle. I'm just hoping they don't release a red 26" too soon (if they ever do) cause I'll need one of those too... haha. Thanks for the tip on the ranch! I'll have to research some more.

Excellent job Zach! I've done some chuckies but never like that....yet. I have used the ranch mix in different things and it can certainly add saltiness into the mix. BIG LIKE

BIG Thanks Denny! I'll have to look into different ranch packs and salt content. I'll report back if I find anything good!

Nailed it! Love Mississippi pot roast! Good eats!!!

Thanks! I'm a big fan now too!

It is awesome with venison roast too!!! Made one at the camp last time we were down...none left!

I had a friend suggest this too! This December I'll hopefully get a good venison roast for this very idea. I normally do mostly ground, but I'll have to save a roast or two now.

Thanks Robert! It is a very interesting and delicious gravy. I'm a big fan of the pepperocinis. Just doing my best to keep up with all the gravy posts! #TeamGravy :emoji_grin:

Thanks Ryan! Appreciate it. good luck at the Dr! :emoji_sweat_smile: I'm really digging the new kettle. I'm just hoping they don't release a red 26" too soon (if they ever do) cause I'll need one of those too... haha. Thanks for the tip on the ranch! I'll have to research some more.

BIG Thanks Denny! I'll have to look into different ranch packs and salt content. I'll report back if I find anything good!

Zach.. I tried this once with my homemade ranch seasoning mix and it it was fantastic but it didn't " come together" like it does with a packet of ranch dip mix. I feel like there's something in that packet that acts an "emulsifier " or something.

It also helps to use unsalted butter AND I always use my smoked kosher salt which is always less than table salt.

Not sure what rub or seasoning you used, but the original recipe I learned years ago was throw it all in a crock pot without the smoking/grilling part so any rub with salt is also going to affect it.

Lastly, the Au Jus mix is HIGH in sodium as well.. so if you can cut out any added salt that would be beneficial.

Zach.. I tried this once with my homemade ranch seasoning mix and it it was fantastic but it didn't " come together" like it does with a packet of ranch dip mix. I feel like there's something in that packet that acts an "emulsifier " or something.

It also helps to use unsalted butter AND I always use my smoked kosher salt which is always less than table salt.

Not sure what rub or seasoning you used, but the original recipe I learned years ago was throw it all in a crock pot without the smoking/grilling part so any rub with salt is also going to affect it.

Lastly, the Au Jus mix is HIGH in sodium as well.. so if you can cut out any added salt that would be beneficial.

Yeah, I use Kerrygold Unsalted butter almost exclusively. For the rub on the roast I did real light salt and mostly pepper.

here's a good read on lower sodium versions

Might have to explore this more next time.

Beef Consume instead of Au Jus
Kraft Ranch Anything Dip mix has way less sodium than Hidden Valley.

Yeah, I use Kerrygold Unsalted butter almost exclusively. For the rub on the roast I did real light salt and mostly pepper.

here's a good read on lower sodium versions

Might have to explore this more next time.

Beef Consume instead of Au Jus
Kraft Ranch Anything Dip mix has way less sodium than Hidden Valley.

I need to finger out what the emulsifier is and see if something natural can be added to my homemade ranch dip mix. Then you can control another level of salt.

Just a word of warning Zach and all other Votex users. As most of you know. I use my Vortex exclusively and extensively in my 22" kettle. I took a good look at the lid today while I was grilling some rib-eyes and the lid has taken a real beating. The procelain is bubbling and starting to look like crap. I'm still going to use the Vortex 99% of the time, but I wanted warn those with the newer colored kettles that damage is possible. I've had my kettle for about 9 years and it was bought used off the side of the road. It's stored in my garage and is only exposed to the elements when it's in use.

Zach BTW do you still own that ranch? I haven't seen it in action lately.

Chris

Man that looks great! Very nice presentation of the food. We love Mississippi pot roast, been far to long since we’ve done one

Thanks! I'm hoping it's not too long before I make another. I've got some low sodium ideas now that I'm wanting to try out.

Just a word of warning Zach and all other Votex users. As most of you know. I use my Vortex exclusively and extensively in my 22" kettle. I took a good look at the lid today while I was grilling some rib-eyes and the lid has taken a real beating. The procelain is bubbling and starting to look like crap. I'm still going to use the Vortex 99% of the time, but I wanted warn those with the newer colored kettles that damage is possible. I've had my kettle for about 9 years and it was bought used off the side of the road. It's stored in my garage and is only exposed to the elements when it's in use.

Zach BTW do you still own that ranch? I haven't seen it in action lately.

Chris

I was always wondering about that. Dang! Should've kept the old one as a dedicated Vortex kettle! Chris, I'm gonna have to make you my pre-purchase/sale consultant... It's a great position, but I think you'll agree, we will have to keep it on the DL from the Mrs. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sweat_smile: :emoji_laughing:

as for the Ranch, I just did a few burgers on it not too long ago haha. The ranch would make a good Vortex rig in all honesty. center mounted vent holes and I could do sooooo many wings :emoji_grin:

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200729173413895_COVER.jpg

Good lord Zach! That looks beyond words. I'm agree with others. The ranch dip probably added the salt. You have so many things going on here. I'm going to be smoking a chuckie tomorrow, now that the training I was supposed to go to tomorrow has been rescheduled....again. And with adding the pepperoncini peppers. Has got me thinking about Italian beef. Great job sir!

Good lord Zach! That looks beyond words. I'm agree with others. The ranch dip probably added the salt. You have so many things going on here. I'm going to be smoking a chuckie tomorrow, now that the training I was supposed to go to tomorrow has been rescheduled....again. And with adding the pepperoncini peppers. Has got me thinking about Italian beef. Great job sir!
Thanks Steve! I've got some of the lower sodium Kraft dip mix on order to see if it yields a similar flavor profile without the saltiness.

Sounds like a good redirect!! From Training to smoking meat. win! I'll keep my eyes open for a future post!

I've got the chuckie on the smoker now. Tomorrow I'll pull and get it in the crock pot. I have to remember where I put my mother's Italian beef recipe. I remember most of it.

Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan
Nice looking chuckie, looks mighty tasty.
The recipe is very similar to one of my families favorites we know as Italian beef, the exception is that it isn't smoked ( yes I have thought of smoking it but haven't) and the carrots. We cook it in a crock pot until it falls apart and put it on a hoagie roll.
Im wondering if Steve H Steve H 's Italian beef recipe is similar.

Looks great from here and interesting flavor profile. Gotta ask...Does the Vinegar in the peppers and juice mellow? Too sharp would not fly here. THANKS...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky