Mississippi Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes, Creamy Pepperocini Beef Fat Gravy, and Jalapeno Cornbread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Mississippi Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Creamy Pepperocini Beef Fat Gravy, and Jalapeno Cornbread

l.jpg

h.jpg

After visiting a good friend, we got to talking about various meals and he asked if I've ever done a Mississippi Pot roast. I hadn't to this point. I know there was a big wave of this going around before, but he convinced me to give it a go. So I acquired a chuck roast and figured it was time to break in the new Weber 26" Glen Blue. I snagged a chuckie from the grocery store and hit it with some light salt and heavy pepper. The goal was to smoke the chuckie for about 2-3 hours over pecan. I utilized the snake method and got the roast on early in the morning. I like to use the Vortex as a heat shield for the snake as well.

a.jpg

Rolling her first smoke!

b.jpg

After about 2.5 hours at 250°F, the snake was almost gone and the color looked great on the roast so off to the Crock Pot I went.

c.jpg

Add 1 stick of butter, sliced

d.jpg

1 packet of Ranch Powder

e.jpg

1 packet of Au Jus Powder

f.jpg

A half jar of Pepperocini slices and half of the juice

g.jpg

I also added in some baby carrots. This ran on low the rest of the day until it was fall apart tender. I removed the roast from the pot and hand shredded with the peppers and carrots

h.jpg

I took all the liquid goodness from the crock pot, strained it, defatted it a little and got a bowl of deliciousness!

i.jpg

I added about a 1/4 of this liquid back to the meat and the rest... Brokenhandle Brokenhandle & tx smoker tx smoker should approve... I made a gravy!

j.jpg

I decided I needed some cornbread so I got out a couple boxes of Jiffy and whipped up a batch. At the tail end of the cook, I added some of my sliced pickled jalapenos to a portion of it.

k.jpg

Plated up and chow time!

l.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I feel like I've said this before... But I am mad I waited this long to try this! It has been awhile since I've done a chuckie and have missed it. Such a moist, succulent roast! The smoke flavor was definitely hidden and overtaken by the ingredients but it was subtle and I feel it was still worth the extra step. The gravy was interesting, in a great way. It had the profile of the pepperocinis, ranch, au jus... I think using it on something other than this meal may be a bit odd but it works so well with this. It wasn't "needed" but it definitely took the meal to the next level for me.

If you are one of the few, like I was, that hasn't tried this, I highly recommend it. It would be a great method to do Chuckies, Chicken, turkey... really anything. Definitely keep the added salt low. This can be a high salt meal. If they make a low sodium au jus, I would look for that. Overall though, I am very happy with this cook.

TL;DR

KyYy_VSM1ONB7myS-mSVJ0HFZW4lr6nAkdFwthfl0nCTIbZxiA.gif

Cheers Y'all!

Very nice . That's a good method for sure . I've done crock pot and SV . Have to try grill first .
Nice work and awesome kettle .

Definitely a new cooking method added to my arsenal. Thanks!

WOA! Over The Top! man that looks killer!!! so good!

Thanks! Was a flavor packed meal that I had multiple plates of over a couple days.

Sure does look good! Nice work on the gravy! I will agree with you on the salt level of this style pot roast. The first one I did was pretty salty. Second time around I added some carrots and red potato. The potatoes really helped soak up the salt. I like jalapeno corn bread but I alway dice and mix it in. I'll have to try topping like you did next time. Awesome meal! Just awesome!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Nice job Zach I have a couple Mississippi pot roast and a Mississippi poboy thread. I think they are absolutely delicious. Last one I did was like yours with the carrots and taters. You nailed it as usual. Check out the poboy I think you'd like it

Sure does look good! Nice work on the gravy! I will agree with you on the salt level of this style pot roast. The first one I did was pretty salty. Second time around I added some carrots and red potato. The potatoes really helped soak up the salt. I like jalapeno corn bread but I alway dice and mix it in. I'll have to try topping like you did next time. Awesome meal! Just awesome!
Thanks! I was pre warned luckily about the salt. It was borderline in the end but I didn't salt the mashed potatoes and they do help a lot with absorption. The jalapeno was a last minute idea but I liked it a lot. maybe next time i'll add to the mix as well, good idea!

Reactions: Sowsage
Nice job Zach I have a couple Mississippi pot roast and a Mississippi poboy thread. I think they are absolutely delicious. Last one I did was like yours with the carrots and taters. You nailed it as usual. Check out the poboy I think you'd like it
The po boy is now on the list! got a link? I'll try and find it too. But that seems another great vessel for consumption of this! Thanks!

found it! Looks awesome!

Reactions: TNJAKE
The po boy is now on the list! got a link? I'll try and find it too. But that seems another great vessel for consumption of this! Thanks!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Holy hell Zack!
That cook looks danged near divine.
I'm betting that meal was as delicious as can be.

Now let me heap some real praise upon you.
You sir are an artiste, The quality of your photography, the beautiful presentation of your food.... It is art.

Last edited:
Holy hell Zack!
That cook looks danged near divine.
I'm betting that meal was as delicious as can be.

Now let me eat some real praise upon you.
You sir are an artiste, The quality of your photography, the beautiful presentation of your food.... It is art.

Thanks Chili! I'm already thinking I need to hit the store on the way home and grab another chuck or two!

As for the rest, I appreciate it! I am a person that changes hobbies and trends a lot, but it seems with cooking, it is a long term evolving gig, and not a temp one. I find myself researching so much more than I used to and have been trying my hardest at upping my documentation and photo skills. The wife keeps asking when I'm going to start getting into using actual cameras and lighting beyond my phone, cause that's the next expensive path it leads haha. But I'm having fun doing it and it usually leads to good food so no complaining here. Thanks again.

Awesome pot roast and the sides look great too. We use Lipton onion soup mix for a topping when we do roast.

Warren

Thanks Warren. The onion soup mix sounds great! I'll have to make a note of that one, appreciate it.

What do you think attributes to the borderline over the top saltiness? I would assume the packet of au jus powder? Don't cook with much salt at all due to the wife so was thinking about what I could change to tone it down a little and not be too salty.

For sure the Au Jus powder. I use unsalted butter wherever I can for that reason too. I guess if you made a low sodium au jus you could replace that component. Unless they make a low sodium powder. I'll have to look...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky