Labor Day TD Voting Delayed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Take your time Robert. We'e a pretty understanding bunch of folks,

Chris

Dude, family first always! And we as your extended family understand. Get mom squared away. Virtual hugs her way and for you also!
Jim

Sorry to hear about your Mother I hope all goes well in getting her to Tx and getting her settled in. As has been said do what is important and that is not a throwdown.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
As you and the rest of us know: It's always family first! The TD can wait bud. Know this is a trying time and just one of those life issues you gotta punch through. Taking care of Mom is priority ONE.

Sorry to hear about your Mother I hope all goes well in getting her to Tx and getting her settled in.
Jerry et al, thanks more than I can convey for all of the support and understanding. The outpouring from all of you is beyond words. No time to quote each person who replied, but chose Jerry's response for a reason: we got home early afternoon yesterday. Was a brutal trip and I pushed that dilapidated old U-Haul van harder than it's probably ever been pushed. Total elapsed travel time was just a couple hours over 2 days. Pretty good time considering I was travelling with a semi-infirm 83 year old mother who suffered a massive stroke a few years ago. She still has some fight left in her though because she hung in there like a trooper and said to just keep pushing the drive so we could get to the end of the trip.

Long story short, there are three of us left: myself, mom, and a sibling who will remain unnamed. Said sibling has just kinda been hanging out for the past few years waiting for mom to die thinking her death would secure his retirement. He is 3 years older than I am, owns absolutely nothing, does not have a dime to his name, and worked under the table most of his life and has not paid anything into Social Security. In the meantime he has managed to "procure" (read into that what you will) almost everything mom has. All of her money and everything of value (except the house) are gone. Unknown to me until a week ago, she has been living in squalor with no food, no phone (until I paid the bill for her recently) and no AC all Summer. She's been getting one leftover meal a day from one of her neighbors and that's it. Another neighbor and close friend discovered this early last week and went to the store and bought mom a ton of food so she at least had some stuff to eat for the last few days before loading her up and heading to TX. It's been a crazy week but the pieces are in place for mom to start a new life here, and she is happy as a clam. Was so cool to see her reaction yesterday seeing the house then out to the patio. Very happy proclamations from her then a seat at one of the patio tables where she just sat there all afternoon and into the evening soaking up the surroundings. Still a TON of work for Tracy and I getting all of her affairs in order in VA and transferring it all to TX, selling the house, the car, and liquidating everything else to offset some of the expenses of the assisted living facility she will be moving into. Thanks once again to my huge extended family here in SMF. you all are awesome!! Got some stuff to deal with this morning and when things calm down, I'll try to get the voting poll posted when mom lays down for a nap later. As somebody once told me a long time ago: be nice to your kids because they will be the ones picking your retirement facility :emoji_laughing: Of course, the reality of that really hit home with this ordeal.

Well y'all take care and I'll try to do some catching up later. Some great food threads and just happy stuff in the forum I'd like to jump in on. Retired Spook Retired Spook , not trying to single you out, but LOVE the movie thread :emoji_wink: So many great movies being noted that I need to go back and revisit.

Robert

Jerry et al, thanks more than I can convey for all of the support and understanding. The outpouring from all of you is beyond words. No time to quote each person who replied, but chose Jerry's response for a reason: we got home early afternoon yesterday. Was a brutal trip and I pushed that dilapidated old U-Haul van harder than it's probably ever been pushed. Total elapsed travel time was just a couple hours over 2 days. Pretty good time considering I was travelling with a semi-infirm 83 year old mother who suffered a massive stroke a few years ago. She still has some fight left in her though because she hung in there like a trooper and said to just keep pushing the drive so we could get to the end of the trip.

Long story short, there are three of us left: myself, mom, and a sibling who will remain unnamed. Said sibling has just kinda been hanging out for the past few years waiting for mom to die thinking her death would secure his retirement. He is 3 years older than I am, owns absolutely nothing, does not have a dime to his name, and worked under the table most of his life and has not paid anything into Social Security. In the meantime he has managed to "procure" (read into that what you will) almost everything mom has. All of her money and everything of value (except the house) are gone. Unknown to me until a week ago, she has been living in squalor with no food, no phone (until I paid the bill for her recently) and no AC all Summer. She's been getting one leftover meal a day from one of her neighbors and that's it. Another neighbor and close friend discovered this early last week and went to the store and bought mom a ton of food so she at least had some stuff to eat for the last few days before loading her up and heading to TX. It's been a crazy week but the pieces are in place for mom to start a new life here, and she is happy as a clam. Was so cool to see her reaction yesterday seeing the house then out to the patio. Very happy proclamations from her then a seat at one of the patio tables where she just sat there all afternoon and into the evening soaking up the surroundings. Still a TON of work for Tracy and I getting all of her affairs in order in VA and transferring it all to TX, selling the house, the car, and liquidating everything else to offset some of the expenses of the assisted living facility she will be moving into. Thanks once again to my huge extended family here in SMF. you all are awesome!! Got some stuff to deal with this morning and when things calm down, I'll try to get the voting poll posted when mom lays down for a nap later. As somebody once told me a long time ago: be nice to your kids because they will be the ones picking your retirement facility :emoji_laughing: Of course, the reality of that really hit home with this ordeal.

Well y'all take care and I'll try to do some catching up later. Some great food threads and just happy stuff in the forum I'd like to jump in on. Retired Spook Retired Spook , not trying to single you out, but LOVE the movie thread :emoji_wink: So many great movies being noted that I need to go back and revisit.

Robert
I'm thrilled that your mom is out of that environment. And is being taken care off.
And I can certainly understand the difficulties in this. We are still getting things settled after Ann's mom passed in May. We are trying to get Ann's passport, German, taken care of see we can fly to Germany to see her gravesite. Every step of the way there is a 3. Or more day response lag from the banks and lawyer to get the last couple of things settled.

Reactions: JLeonard
Betting mom is loving the patio and pool view. I know I do when I see pics. Glad your travels were safe. Take your time and take care of mom.

Jim

Happy to hear your mom is settling into her new environment Robert. At 83 years old she deserves a little pampering and loving. It sounds like you and Tracy are providing that.

Chris

Robert, glad to hear you and your mom is home safe! Your situation hit a little close to home for me..... Let's just say I have empathy for your family...(I would say more but an NDA prevents me).

Wow! Sorry to hear your Mom was living in such poor conditions! I bet that was a shock. But glad to hear she is in good hands now. Made me smile thinking of her sitting on the patio soaking it all in. Bless you and your Mom Robert.....

Way to step in and do what is right Robert. You are the best son a mother could ever have. Really great to hear everything has come together so far. Yeah, the details aren't over for sure, but all those issues will get sorted thanks to your moral fiber. Hat is off to ya, my friend!

That is terrible that she was treated that way Robert! You are doing the right thing for mom!

Fred

So glad to hear you were able to get everyone back safely. The important thing now is that your mom is being loved and cared for. The other portion of the family that was responsible for the terrible conditions, God sorts that out, so don’t waste your time on it.

Glad to hear the good news. We recently moved my father in law to a house on the farm from LA. His wife passed and he has Parkinson's and MS. He needed some one close to keep a eye on him after she passed.

Robert I'm sorry to hear your mother has been living like that and am happy you now have her closer to you where she can be taken care of properly. I'm sure she's quite happy sitting on the deck by the pool. I'm sure she's also enjoying your cooking. If you'd have called I'd have come up and driven the uhaul while you took her in the yukon she would have been more comfortable. Sounds like brother needs a trip behind the wood shed. I'm sure your still busy as heck trying to take care of things and getting her settled but at least your home and she will now be close to you. The vote will wait till you get to it

Robert I know I am very late to this but , just wanted to say how very sorry I am for your mom and glad you found out in time to react before it was too late.

Glad she is in Texas with you and you can keep a closer eye on her.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky