Labor Day Throwdown Voting Poll....Finally (Edited: Please Read)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pick Your Favorite "Anything Goes" Entry

• #1) Skewered Picanha, Brazilian salad and cheesy bread balls

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • #2) My first brined and smoked turkey

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • #3) It is street tacos with smoked pulled pork, a creole slaw, a roasted tomatillo salsa, red onions

• #4) Worcestershire basted smoked beef back ribs, Jeff’s original rub grilled wings

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • #5) Soul Food: 6 hour Fall off the bone Smoked and Braised Oxtail with Creamy Cheesy Mashed Potato

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • #6) Here's my plan B. Concept was to make a round taco for a picnic. Meat is 50/50 ground sirloin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #8) Slow Smoked Glazed Boneless Pork Belly "Ribs" with creamy parmesan and BBB pasta salad.

• #9) Venison and Wild Hog Braciole Fattie with Wild Hog Capicola

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #10)Smoked beef shanks and smoked beans and potatoes

• #11) Cherry smoked salmon, angel hair pasta with a homemade Alfredo sauce

• #12) Greek style grilled shrimp and corn with marinated mushrooms and garden fresh tomato

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • #13) Hatch chile brined tri-tip with roasted vegetables

• #14) I have made a maple cured belly pork and a Texas style rubbed pork butt.

• #15) Apple-smoked chicken halves, herb-brined, rubbed, and glazed with a thinned BBQ sauce to finish

• #16) I did Firehouse quarters on the Kettle with a little applwood.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • #17) Smoked brisket point burnt ends, smoked sausage, southwest smoked queso

• #18) Guinness Beer Injected Brisket with Southern Mustard Potato Salad and Roasted Okra.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Somehow #16) did not get posted in the voting section of the poll. This poll has caused numerous issues that I've tried to work through but the system will not allow me to change the order of the entries as they are listed for voting so #16) can be put in sequential order. Therefore it is at the very end and a day behind on voting. I'll see if I can get Brian ( bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ) to change the order so it is in line but for now, please don't overlook that one. I's kinda pretty and very much deserving of some love from y'all.

First off, thanks to all the amazing people here who showed their support while I've dealt with some serious issues where my mother is concerned, which have caused the delay in getting this posted. She is now home in TX, comfortable, acclimated, enjoying an environment and lifestyle which she has never experienced, and eating pretty darned good :emoji_wink:

We did not get quite the turnout we had anticipated but still a goodly number of some truly fantastic entries. Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and I discussed doing this in one poll or two like we did on the last one and decided to do one this time. Let's just hope we get some good voting participation from folks. For this one, you'll get one vote only. Additionally you will not have the option of changing your vote so make sure it counts when you submit it :emoji_laughing: Voting will run for 7 days and at that point we will announce the winners. I was only going to offer up the 2nd place prize of the 4-probe Inkbird thermometer if we hit 20 entries but we're close enough. I'll toss it in the till for some deserving entrant. Without further adieu, let the voting begin!!

#1) Skewered Picanha, Brazilian salad and cheesy bread balls
1694893344879.png

#2) My first brined and smoked turkey
1694889313004.png

#3) It is street tacos with smoked pulled pork, a creole slaw, a roasted tomatillo salsa, red onions, and fresh cilantro. Sides are blistered shishito peppers, Mexican corn, and a cilantro vinaigrette rice.
The tomatillo salsa was roasted in the smoker at the same time the pork butt was smoked. It picked up a nice smoked hint. It also had onions, garlic, cilantro, and peppers that came from the garden.
1694889424896.png

#4) Worcestershire basted smoked beef back ribs, Jeff’s original rub grilled wings, garlic herb roasted baby potatoes, and a fresh herb lemon ranch salad topped with a sliced egg, bacon, and fresh garden picked tomato.
1694893387386.png

#5) Soul Food: 6 hour Fall off the bone Smoked and Braised Oxtail with Creamy Cheesy Mashed Potato and Confit, with a side of Fried Bacon Collard Greens
1694889637789.png

#6) Here's my plan B. Concept was to make a round taco for a picnic. Meat is 50/50 ground sirloin & chorizo with a touch of mayo to bind it. Center is filled with refried beans, sour cream & shredded cheese. Rolled in crushed Hatch Chili chips & Takis Fuego chips Served with fresh tomatoes and cabbage salad. Salsa on top.
1694889783283.png

#8) Slow Smoked Glazed Boneless Pork Belly "Ribs" with creamy parmesan and BBB pasta salad.
1694890130297.png

#9) Venison and Wild Hog Braciole Fattie with Wild Hog Capicola
1694890218286.png

#10)Smoked beef shanks and smoked beans and potatoes for the Labor Day TD. Thanks
1694893449413.png

#11) Cherry smoked salmon, angel hair pasta with a homemade Alfredo sauce, grilled Halloumi cheese on tomato with a balsamic dressing.
1694890359733.png

#12) Greek style grilled shrimp and corn with marinated mushrooms and garden fresh tomato cucumber and onion salad. Salad dressed with a greek vinaigrette, Shrimp marinated in a basic olive oil lemon juice and Cavender's no salt mixture.
1694890481163.png

#13) Hatch chile brined tri-tip with roasted vegetables (potato, tomato, Brussel sprouts) seasoned with hatch, garlic, cilantro and topped with feta.
1694891047428.png

#14) I have made a maple cured belly pork and a Texas style rubbed pork butt. I have smoked them with cherry wood
1694891140274.png

#15) Apple-smoked chicken halves, herb-brined, rubbed, and glazed with a thinned BBQ sauce to finish. On the side are jalapeño poppers, hasselback-cut yellow squash marinated in spicy Italian dressing and grilled, garden fresh Jersey tomatoes, and watermelon for dessert!
1694891254176.png

#16) I did Firehouse quarters on the Kettle with a little applwood.
1694891351071.png

#17) Smoked brisket point burnt ends, smoked sausage, southwest smoked queso, southern style hash brown casserole.
1694891498307.png

#18) Guinness Beer Injected Brisket with Southern Mustard Potato Salad and Roasted Okra.
1694891606759.png

Well there ya have it ladies and gentlemen. Eighteen totally different, totally amazing entries. Take your time before making a decision and be sure it's your favorite before casting that vote. I know it's not gonna be easy as the quality of these events is really picking up. Folks are really bringing their A-Game nowadays and the decision as to a favorite is ever becoming more difficult. Once again, I sure am glad I don't have to vote because I'd have to allow myself at least 17 votes :emoji_laughing: All of the prizes are on the table except for the custom made knife offered up by our own civilsmoker civilsmoker if we had hit 30 entries. Have fun thinking through this and you have one week to get your votes in. Let's see if we can hit 150 total votes for this one. Gonna take that many to ensure every entry gets a fair shake....but of course we have to go with however many votes we get. Now....LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

P.S. I think #6 was hoping to bag a buzzard for Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) but was unsuccessful so had to go with Plan B :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Attachments

• 1694890011093.png
    1694890011093.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 301
  • 1694891340661.png
    1694891340661.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I don't see pictures for #1 and #4
I just checked from two different browsers and all pics are showing on my end. Don't know what's up. Maybe try signing out of the forum and back in?

Robert

I can't see one or four either. Tried signing out and in. No luck.
I just deleted the original pics for entries 1, 4, and 10, which Ryan can't see, and put them back in. I sure hope that fixes it because everything is showing perfectly on my end. I have no clue what the problem is.

Robert

I just deleted the original pics for entries 1, 4, and 10, which Ryan can't see, and put them back in. I sure hope that fixes it because everything is showing perfectly on my end. I have no clue what the problem is.

Robert
Works now. Thanks Robert!

Yes, fixed for me now also!

Some great entries once again! All the entries look superb. Thank you to all that entered... we appreciate all the work the guys do to put the throwdowns on and the effort put forth by all members that submitted entries!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003 and Steve H
tx smoker tx smoker there was never any fear of momma eating good at your place. Of course, y’all may need to set aside a budget for More clothes based on your cook posts. I know mom is being spoiled and pampered by you guys. And I’m sure Bianca is getting good love from mom also.
now onto the TD…..GOOD LORD! The skills and variety of presentations is astounding. Glad we got a week to think about this. Gonna go ahead and order a new mouse cause I’m gonna wear this one out scrolling the pics trying to decide!

Jim

First off, thanks to all the amazing people here who showed their support while I've dealt with some serious issues where my mother is concerned, which have caused the delay in getting this posted. She is now home in TX, comfortable, acclimated, enjoying an environment and lifestyle which she has never experienced, and eating pretty darned good :emoji_wink:

We did not get quite the turnout we had anticipated but still a goodly number of some truly fantastic entries. Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and I discussed doing this in one poll or two like we did on the last one and decided to do one this time. Let's just hope we get some good voting participation from folks. For this one, you'll get one vote only. Additionally you will not have the option of changing your vote so make sure it counts when you submit it :emoji_laughing: Voting will run for 7 days and at that point we will announce the winners. I was only going to offer up the 2nd place prize of the 4-probe Inkbird thermometer if we hit 20 entries but we're close enough. I'll toss it in the till for some deserving entrant. Without further adieu, let the voting begin!!

#1) Skewered Picanha, Brazilian salad and cheesy bread balls
View attachment 676287

#2) My first brined and smoked turkey
View attachment 676270

#3) It is street tacos with smoked pulled pork, a creole slaw, a roasted tomatillo salsa, red onions, and fresh cilantro. Sides are blistered shishito peppers, Mexican corn, and a cilantro vinaigrette rice.
The tomatillo salsa was roasted in the smoker at the same time the pork butt was smoked. It picked up a nice smoked hint. It also had onions, garlic, cilantro, and peppers that came from the garden.
View attachment 676271

#4) Worcestershire basted smoked beef back ribs, Jeff’s original rub grilled wings, garlic herb roasted baby potatoes, and a fresh herb lemon ranch salad topped with a sliced egg, bacon, and fresh garden picked tomato.
View attachment 676288

#5) Soul Food: 6 hour Fall off the bone Smoked and Braised Oxtail with Creamy Cheesy Mashed Potato and Confit, with a side of Fried Bacon Collard Greens
View attachment 676273

#6) Here's my plan B. Concept was to make a round taco for a picnic. Meat is 50/50 ground sirloin & chorizo with a touch of mayo to bind it. Center is filled with refried beans, sour cream & shredded cheese. Rolled in crushed Hatch Chili chips & Takis Fuego chips Served with fresh tomatoes and cabbage salad. Salsa on top.
View attachment 676274

#7) From Left to right, this is a Smoked Bourbon Peach Cobbler, then on the right (clockwise starting in the top right) you will find my smoked jalapeño cheddar sausage wrapped with my home-cured cajun beef bacon, then I smoked an Axis Deer Roast (brisket style) with an injection of bourbon, followed by my smoked Hatch Green Chile & beef bacon mac & cheese, then on to a spatchcock smoked chicken (only showing 1/2 here), and finally the smoked beef CPB Dino ribs
View attachment 676275

#8) Slow Smoked Glazed Boneless Pork Belly "Ribs" with creamy parmesan and BBB pasta salad.
View attachment 676276

#9) Venison and Wild Hog Braciole Fattie with Wild Hog Capicola
View attachment 676277

#10)Smoked beef shanks and smoked beans and potatoes for the Labor Day TD. Thanks
View attachment 676289

#11) Cherry smoked salmon, angel hair pasta with a homemade Alfredo sauce, grilled Halloumi cheese on tomato with a balsamic dressing.
View attachment 676278

#12) Greek style grilled shrimp and corn with marinated mushrooms and garden fresh tomato cucumber and onion salad. Salad dressed with a greek vinaigrette, Shrimp marinated in a basic olive oil lemon juice and Cavender's no salt mixture.
View attachment 676279

#13) Hatch chile brined tri-tip with roasted vegetables (potato, tomato, Brussel sprouts) seasoned with hatch, garlic, cilantro and topped with feta.
View attachment 676280

#14) I have made a maple cured belly pork and a Texas style rubbed pork butt. I have smoked them with cherry wood
View attachment 676281

#15) Apple-smoked chicken halves, herb-brined, rubbed, and glazed with a thinned BBQ sauce to finish. On the side are jalapeño poppers, hasselback-cut yellow squash marinated in spicy Italian dressing and grilled, garden fresh Jersey tomatoes, and watermelon for dessert!
View attachment 676282

#16) I did Firehouse quarters on the Kettle with a little applwood.
View attachment 676284

#17) Smoked brisket point burnt ends, smoked sausage, southwest smoked queso, southern style hash brown casserole.
View attachment 676285

#18) Guinness Beer Injected Brisket with Southern Mustard Potato Salad and Roasted Okra.
View attachment 676286

Well there ya have it ladies and gentlemen. Eighteen totally different, totally amazing entries. Take your time before making a decision and be sure it's your favorite before casting that vote. I know it's not gonna be easy as the quality of these events is really picking up. Folks are really bringing their A-Game nowadays and the decision as to a favorite is ever becoming more difficult. Once again, I sure am glad I don't have to vote because I'd have to allow myself at least 17 votes :emoji_laughing: All of the prizes are on the table except for the custom made knife offered up by our own civilsmoker civilsmoker if we had hit 30 entries. Have fun thinking through this and you have one week to get your votes in. Let's see if we can hit 150 total votes for this one. Gonna take that many to ensure every entry gets a fair shake....but of course we have to go with however many votes we get. Now....LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

P.S. I think #6 was hoping to bag a buzzard for Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) but was unsuccessful so had to go with Plan B :emoji_astonished:

Robert
Thank you for all the work involved in putting this on. It is both encouraging and discouraging.
Encouraging because I always want to jump in on one of these, and see not all of the entrants had a full buffet on there. I cook a lot of meat, and my photo skills suck, but share as much as I can.

Reactions: gmc2003
Well folks, there have been a few hiccups with the posting of this thread. Yesterday we had people who could not see certain pics of the entries although all were showing on my end. It was then pointed out that entry #16) did not show up for the voting. That may have been an operator error but I checked every entry for the pics and the poll no less than 6 times before posting it. That entry has been added to the poll for voting but it is out of order and at the very end after #18. The system will not allow me to change the order of the entries for voting so I'm gonna reach out to Brian ( bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ) and see if he can change it so the entries are in order.

Robert

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Pic. for #16 is showing up for me where it should....
It wasn't the pic that was missing but thanks for confirming. It was the listing in the voting section of the thread at the top where it was not showing up so nobody could vote on it. All taken care of now thanks to Brian.

Robert

Boy are those some good looking entries. Congratulations to all the participants. This is going to be a tough decision to make.

Chris

Wow, what great looking entries. My photo's (entry #7) don't really do that dinner justice as the dinner was amazing. The smoked jalapeño cheddar sausage wrapped with my home-cured cajun beef bacon was probably our favorite, followed by the smoked Hatch Green Chile & beef bacon mac & cheese, and then the beef ribs. That all being said, like a friend of mine says, you should "Eat dessert first, because life is uncertain!" as that Smoked Bourbon Peach Cobbler was amazing!!! :emoji_yum:

Axis deer isn't gamey at all, flavor was good, but it is pretty lean so I think I'll stick to using it in my New Mexico green chile stew.

• Sad
Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky