HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to revive it again....but it's such a great thread, I don't think the OP and others will mind.

daveomak daveomak , sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I'm thawing a 9-lb butt in the fridge, gonna surprise the Thanksgiving crowd with some samples.

Reactions: bill1 and pc farmer
Sorry to revive it again....but it's such a great thread, I don't think the OP and others will mind.

daveomak daveomak , sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I'm thawing a 9-lb butt in the fridge, gonna surprise the Thanksgiving crowd with some samples.

Don't be sorry. This is a great injection cure and needs to be seen. I love it, works great

Reactions: chopsaw
I like to try and use stuff that I can remember easily. IE: For STPP I use .25% as it is the same rate for cure. Also same rate for MSG/Accent I use.

sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I just injected one on 10 / 26 . Almost ready .
Anyway , just checked my notes ( that came from Dave ) and they say 0.5 % STPP .
The spreadsheet for mixing the injection cure shows 1.8g per pound of meat. Instructions for phosphates generally show a range verses an exact number like Cure #1.

Below are the recommendations from PhosThis, which is the same product as AmesPhos. Note the percentage in solution and the target level. I'm guessing the 0.5% mentioned by chopsaw chopsaw is the target level.

Use approximately 4.5-9g (about 2-4 level tsp) per pint of water (1% to 2% solution) for injection or marination, slightly more for acidic solutions like apple juice. Target level is 0.2% to 0.5% of total product, by weight. For sausage making or other ground meats, use about 1.5g per pound of meat, and mix with water before incorporation to ensure even distribution.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
My 9 lb Butt, following Dave's method, went into cure last Saturday. It was frozen, but hey, experimenting, and cleaning out the freezer so I can defrost it. It's not the main course for T-Day, but I will take some for samplers at least...

My 9 lb Butt, following Dave's method, went into cure last Saturday. It was frozen, but hey, experimenting, and cleaning out the freezer so I can defrost it. It's not the main course for T-Day, but I will take some for samplers at least...

So you injected it frozen?

Dave O’s injection is all I use on big hams, it’s the best I’ve ever tasted. I have 11# of loins down to smoke this weekend also with Dave’s injection, it’s perfect.

I injected my 5 lb fresh loin tonight. Y'all think four days will produce something good? Smoke it Wednesday?
It will work, but the flavor is much better after 10-12 days, I try for 14 days. I have 11# of loins that are at 7 days tomorrow with the same injection and I have to smoke them for the constraint of time, they will be delicious.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
I injected my 5 lb fresh loin tonight. Y'all think four days will produce something good? Smoke it Wednesday?
I go longer as well. After about day 10 I sort of keep an eye on the weather and my schedule and pick the best day for smoking. Here is what you can expect. This is the rib end of a loin, that has that second muscle.
87jreZz.jpg

It will work, but the flavor is much better after 10-12 days, I try for 14 days. I have 11# of loins that are at 7 days tomorrow with the same injection and I have to smoke them for the constraint of time, they will be delicious.
For sure, up to 14 days normally. This was an afterthought after I read discussions on doing loins as well as butts, for Thanksgiving. So I'll go with the short cure this time.

Reactions: daveomak
I go longer as well. After about day 10 I sort of keep an eye on the weather and my schedule and pick the best day for smoking. Here is what you can expect. This is the rib end of a loin, that has that second muscle.
View attachment 681243
I can see you use netting. I was looking at those and believe I need Size 16 for loins. Sound about right? And Size 20 for butts.

Reactions: daveomak
I can see you use netting. I was looking at those and believe I need Size 16 for loins. Sound about right? And Size 20 for butts.
I bought size 28 that has an 8-3/8" working diameter and use it for loins, butts and picnic shoulders. In relaxed form it's 4" wide, so it's not as tight on a loin. But my reasoning with loins is that I can hang several in my drum, and the color comes out very even.
eXcDbSX.jpg

0MHVgcj.jpg

I use a 7" diameter stainless steel canister to hold the netting (with a knot on one end), and the meat slips right in.
xlrTjou.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky